Suki Hirano

Ideas for a home in the sky

I'm looking for ideas for building a home in the sky, since there's not much room ground-level at the sim I live in. I'm mostly having trouble with the ground itself since the things you can do with mesh is kind of limited compared to terraforming:

• Not looking for an enclosed skybox or dome
  • Preferably nothing too fantasy-looking (like a huge floating rock that resembles something from Final Fantasy or anime)
  • Not looking for full-sim landscapes, my space is about quarter sim, but can't be tiny like 50x50 or something. I'd say it should at least fill 50-60% of the parcel
  • Definitely not looking for simple flat panoramas to simulate surroundings, those look absolutely terrible
  • Mesh

I need some good looking platforms that look natural and realistic to resemble the linden land at least, doesn't matter if it's snow, forest or sand.

Haven't found much on marketplace as most things are for decorating the sim ground-level, not for building the ground itself.

Thanks.

Edited by Suki Hirano

There are mesh items out there that help you with "terraforming" your skybox, if you're absolutely interested in investing the time and the lindens. I've attached some of the builds that I've done in the sky - some more complicated than others - just using some extra objects - ranging from a 70x70 dome (the snow, I use Turnips skydomes when I use domes because you can remove the enclosure and have texture options, etc) and up. That being said, it looks like KatoYouji has some decent looking builds for "skyboxes" in their store if those might strike your fancy! We sacrifice the terraforming for the lag-free, and sometimes it sucks, but definitely doable! 

25556412197_d7ee804df6_k.jpg

36514814404_5e73bd63e6_k.jpg

36378871133_67da4fef6c_k.jpg

37927967374_f70b63e717_k.jpg

• Like 1

For those images you attached, are those custom builds in terms of actually modelling from scratch, or simply mix-matching pieces from various sets on marketplace?

I'll take a look at the KatoYouji place you linked.

11 minutes ago, Suki Hirano said:

For those images you attached, are those custom builds in terms of actually modelling from scratch, or simply mix-matching pieces from various sets on marketplace?

Err.. I suppose it's technically a "model from scratch" because I will rezz out prims and spheres and such, but it's a lot of mixing and matching (as far as the rocks and rivers and such) from various landscaping/outdoor decor places and incorporating them. In order to get something that isn't just a platform that is something that looks how you want it to, it does take time and investment. I've been searching and haven't found anything that might be of quality, aside from Kato.. hopefully that works out for you!

Hi all...

I have the same issue.  I have a 1/4 sim parcel on mainland that is sloped.  I want to create a forest woods are with walking paths and streams and such.  I also want the build to be seasonal. My issue is that because I cannot lower or raise mainland more than 4 meters, I am at a loss as to the best way to do this.  Mostly what I see (and foolishly or naively have purchased require them to be located on flat land.  The terraform pieces seem to require that too.  Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas or suggestions. I will locate my home and recreational area in sky boxes above the mainland, but I do not want the mainland to go to waste.  Thanks to all...Jenn   

4 hours ago, JenniferAnneSL said:

Hi all...

I have the same issue.  I have a 1/4 sim parcel on mainland that is sloped.  I want to create a forest woods are with walking paths and streams and such.  I also want the build to be seasonal. My issue is that because I cannot lower or raise mainland more than 4 meters, I am at a loss as to the best way to do this.  Mostly what I see (and foolishly or naively have purchased require them to be located on flat land.  The terraform pieces seem to require that too.  Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas or suggestions. I will locate my home and recreational area in sky boxes above the mainland, but I do not want the mainland to go to waste.  Thanks to all...Jenn   

Paths that are meant to be used on flat land can often be used on slopes ... as such:

5a90f062d373b_MarPacificohillside20160607.thumb.jpg.cd2894dc2a4d4430611c4ac0ef71a0a7.jpg

5a90f06ad55bd_Hither20161120.thumb.jpg.c57cc862dc4a5ff6bd199e77a121820b.jpg

Individual trees and plants can be used in more places than collections like some of Skye's forest sections. Most mesh land pieces can be used almost anywhere -- resize them (watch the land impact) as needed. Experiment ... it costs you some time but you might work out something that looks great.

Edited by Parhelion Palou
word change

There are actually lots of things you can do with a quarter of a sim up in the sky. There are a variety of landforms on the marketplace. I prefer mesh over sculpt as I hate teleporting into a giant blob surrounding me while it rezzes. I have some walkable hills but they are only good up to 64 meter size. Likely someone else has larger ones and I plan to make some too but I have lots on my todo list at the moment so that is working its way up slowly. 

With some gorgeous trees and rocks things can SEEM very ground-level.  You could of course learn how to make your own but the learning curve is pretty steep -- still a good skill.

Meanwhile feel free to visit the upper levels at LEA6 where full sim environments will emerge as time and energy permits. Now there are just hints of what will come :D.  I DO agree that FINDING things on the Marketplace is definitely a quest LOL and I wish you luck. 

But know that it IS possible to have a nice place in the sky. 

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/LEA6/120/106/2002

8 hours ago, BiroIsHere said:

Get some mesh landscape and compare with manor from my shop. 

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/IsHere-Modern-Manor/13966465

You honestly think you're gonna get more sales by repeatedly spamming the forum with your own ads?

If you're gonna blatantly advertise your stuff at least link to something that's relevant to the topic, or at least high quality. Whatever you linked is obviously neither. Probably one of the worst looking houses I've ever seen.

14 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

There are actually lots of things you can do with a quarter of a sim up in the sky. There are a variety of landforms on the marketplace. I prefer mesh over sculpt as I hate teleporting into a giant blob surrounding me while it rezzes. I have some walkable hills but they are only good up to 64 meter size. Likely someone else has larger ones and I plan to make some too but I have lots on my todo list at the moment so that is working its way up slowly. 

With some gorgeous trees and rocks things can SEEM very ground-level.  You could of course learn how to make your own but the learning curve is pretty steep -- still a good skill.

Meanwhile feel free to visit the upper levels at LEA6 where full sim environments will emerge as time and energy permits. Now there are just hints of what will come :D.  I DO agree that FINDING things on the Marketplace is definitely a quest LOL and I wish you luck. 

But know that it IS possible to have a nice place in the sky. 

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/LEA6/120/106/2002

The issue is finding good mesh terrain. Stuff like trees and other sim decor are so easy to find.

I've been looking on marketplace for over an hour and can't find a single good mesh terrain that actually has enough flat space for a house. I mean I seriously don't get what most creators are thinking, everything I've found are simply natural landscaping with bumps and hills completely covering it, making it useless for rezzing any architecture on it. KatoYouji's stuff are great looking but suffer from the same problem - the most flat space I've ever found on all of his islands was approximately 25x25, nowhere near enough for a relatively large house.

With that said, something similar to KatoYouji's islands, but with at least 40x40 of flat space on it, would be perfect. I'm not looking for anything fancy anymore, just a simple, very large island with enough flat space, surrounded by mesh water and some cliffs surroundings, would be sufficient. Mesh water and cliff surroundings are easy enough to find.

Edited by Suki Hirano

Well I hop  you find what you are looking for --- BUT since you typically tend to enjoy complaining on these forums I am doubting you will. IF someone knows where to get what you want I hope that they STILL post here (some will not you know) as "I" would like to see them also. 

You also need to realize that your wants and sizing is a VERY SMALL section of the SL populous -- hence most creators make things that will sell to more folks unless they happen to make a certain size for themselves and then put on the Marketplace. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

Well I hop  you find what you are looking for --- BUT since you typically tend to enjoy complaining on these forums I am doubting you will. IF someone knows where to get what you want I hope that they STILL post here (some will not you know) as "I" would like to see them also. 

You also need to realize that your wants and sizing is a VERY SMALL section of the SL populous -- hence most creators make things that will sell to more folks unless they happen to make a certain size for themselves and then put on the Marketplace. 

Lol. Complaining?

• You think looking for hard-to-find things is "complaining"?
  • You think saying "no that's not what I'm looking for" is "complaining"?
  • You think being harsh to people advertising their own completely unrelated products is "complaining"?

So you think I should show gratitude towards someone posting "CLICK HERE TO BUY MY HOUSE" in my thread asking for ideas for mesh terrain? Or simply say "oh yes that's perfect" for every single suggestion provided regardless of whether or not they actually are? "Oh yes thanks that's exactly the wooden cabin I'm looking for, despite the fact I'm looking for mesh islands".

Why are you even posting here if you don't want to help? You doubt I'll find what I'm looking for? LOL ok sure, whatever. Maybe you should go learn what the word "complain" means before using it.

Edited by Suki Hirano
  • Thanks 1

Suki, please IM me in world.  I'd be happy to come and look at your parcel.  Perhaps something nice can be done with it at ground level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/23/2018 at 11:01 PM, Parhelion Palou said:

Paths that are meant to be used on flat land can often be used on slopes ... as such:

5a90f062d373b_MarPacificohillside20160607.thumb.jpg.cd2894dc2a4d4430611c4ac0ef71a0a7.jpg

5a90f06ad55bd_Hither20161120.thumb.jpg.c57cc862dc4a5ff6bd199e77a121820b.jpg

Individual trees and plants can be used in more places than collections like some of Skye's forest sections. Most mesh land pieces can be used almost anywhere -- resize them (watch the land impact) as needed. Experiment ... it costs you some time but you might work out something that looks great.

How did you do that with the paths and roads. Was there a special group you used? Also where did you get ythe textures etx. There was a Japenese gentlemen who has some, but they are older and the hills seem a bit expensive, with the textures quite expensive. Is there a blog that explains what you did in those? I am willing to spend the time to try to learn though with my limited skills and time, it is very frustrating.Thanks for your help!!

17 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Suki, please IM me in world.  I'd be happy to come and look at your parcel.  Perhaps something nice can be done with it at ground level.

Lindal

Obviously I am not Suki, but I would love if you had a few minutes to TP to my Mainland and provide some thoughts comments or suggestions. I would be very open to your help in that way. You may contact me here or by IM. I realize that it may be unfair to contact you since your reply was directed elsewhere. I understand if you want to pass on my request.

Edited by JenniferAnneSL
typos