Someone asking for my password??

Rosalia Sands

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2226 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello, please read all of this and take it into consideration and please do reply!!

Basically my question is this:

Is it a TOS violation to ask for another players password? I don't want to get anyone in trouble here ... Not yet anyway but I do want to know in the case it becomes and issue and I feel like I need to take the next step in a possible situation I am dealing with. Please just let me know so I can decide how to deal with the situation IF i feel like I need to. I don't want to get anyone in trouble unless I feel like they are actually being malicious or if they are just ignorant of the way the world works.  

I am still feeling out the situation, and if I think it warrants it I will make a complete abuse report complete with person's name, chat logs, etc.

If it is a violation and I feel they are acting innocently I would prefer to just send them a copy of your response to this ticket and kindly remind them to never ever do that again and I think the issue will be settled.

And yes, i know "YOU SHOULD NEVER GIVE YOUR PASSWORD TO ANYONE" but basically, what this boils down to is I want to know if this is considered abuse or not. I guess. I would report it using the report abuse thing except like I said - I don't want to get this person in trouble unless I think they mean ill will... 

Thank you, I hope to hear back from you soon!!

8 answers to this question

27 minutes ago, Rosalia Sands said:

Hello, please read all of this and take it into consideration and please do reply!!

Is it a TOS violation to ask for another players password? I don't want to get anyone in trouble here ... Not yet anyway but I do want to know in the case it becomes and issue and I feel like I need to take the next step in a possible situation I am dealing with. Please just let me know so I can decide how to deal with the situation IF i feel like I need to. I don't want to get anyone in trouble unless I feel like they are actually being malicious or if they are just ignorant of the way the world works.  

I am still feeling out the situation, and if I think it warrants it I will make a complete abuse report complete with person's name, chat logs, etc.

If it is a violation and I feel they are acting innocently I would prefer to just send them a copy of your response to this ticket and kindly remind them to never ever do that again and I think the issue will be settled.

And yes, i know "YOU SHOULD NEVER GIVE YOUR PASSWORD TO ANYONE" but basically, what this boils down to is I want to know if this is considered abuse or not. I guess. I would report it using the report abuse thing except like I said - I don't want to get this person in trouble unless I think they mean ill will... 

I think you have answered your own question.  If you feel they are asking for malicious or fraudulent reasons then you must report.  If it is ignorance of the TOS then you should explain to the person and tell them to look at the TOS they signed again.

35 minutes ago, Rosalia Sands said:

Is it a TOS violation to ask for another players password?

I don't see ASKING is against ToS. However, giving your password out is inviting the problem of YOU and only YOU being responsible for any action the person you gave the pw to. They could have motives of doing griefing under your name or other not cool things. They could effectively lock you out of your own account and take/transfer what L$'s you may have on hand and only YOU will suffer any consequences, which could lead up to total banishment from sims or SL altogether.

Think of it similar to handing the keys to your car to a new "friend" They promise to bring it back in fine shape and offer to go as far as offering to refill the tank of any gas they will use. On the surface, it sounds okay. It's when you get that visit or phone call from the local constable and they ask you why this person has your car. Well, what can you tell them? Any damage that the person caused will come from your pocket as I doubt the insurance company would agree to cover the situation. After all, you gave them the keys willingly.

If they are bothering you for your pw, I suggest you mute/unfriend and move on with the knowledge that your account is safe.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rosalia Sands said:

Wouldn't even bother reporting tbh, anyone who simply gives out password because someone asked have a lesson to learn. You shield them in safety today, next year they would be sending their entire bank account to Nigerian scams. 

The Nigerian scams are badly typed for one reason, to select the victims with the ultimate feeble naivety; the ones that ask for passwords whether by pretending to be staffs, or promising fortunes, are just doing the same without realizing it. Long story short, the victim and the offender are a match made in heaven. 

Edited by iamyourneighbour

i love simple questions that can be answered easily.

should someone be asking for your password = NO   there is NO valid reason someone needs your password unless you are doing something like trying to get them to fix your mesh head etc. in that case YOU take full responsibility for what happens and can't complain as LL has the logs to check that you gave them the password.  second point of this, is that NO ONE needs your password for anything.

should a Lindon Labs 'personnel' ask for your password = NO   (they can access ANYTHING on your account without it.  NO company needs your password to work on their own servers/services)

so in summary. NO to any password requests. if someone asks a second time, block them. 

see, easy :)

Edited by lostsoul2017

Just to be clear here:  You are not talking to Linden Lab.  We are just volunteer helpers, residents like yourself.

It's not a TOS violation to ask for someone's password.  So don't bother reporting it.

However, it IS extremely stupid to go along with any such request and give someone your password.  If you read the TOS, it says quite clearly that you are responsible for whatever is done with your account.  If you give someone your password, and they use that access to take all your $L, and steal your friends' $L by pretending to be you, YOU are the person LL will blame.  Your account could get banned.  "He asked for my password" is not an acceptable excuse.

If anyone insists that you give them your password ("Oh, come on.  Don't you trust me?") they are not your friend.  Mute them and have nothing more to do with them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2226 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.