Refund for false advertisement?

KammyKat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2221 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello I just bought a hoverboard from the marketplace and it says there it's 100% Mesh, but it isn't, it's all prim. Had I known this fact I would have never bought the product, but the images seem convincing and I thought I was getting a high quality product but in fact it's all made of prim and looks bad in-world. The product doesn't have a DEMO version, of course. I have reported the product for false advertisement.  I left a review that the product is misleading, and have sent the merchant a notecard explaining that I want a refund, but I don't think they are active in second life anymore.
Is there any way to contact linden labs about this and get a refund? Thank you.

Edited by KammyKat
  • Like 2

Some things you just need to chalk up as a 'lesson learned'.  Whenever buying something that doesn't have a demo, you need to decide for yourself whether it's worth taking a chance on, knowing that it may not be as it seems or meet your expectations.  

Leaving a review, contacting the merchant and (when warranted) flagging the item are about all you can do for this type of situation. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, KammyKat said:

You can open a support case. Linden Lab (that's Lab without an s btw) won't usually get involved in such cases but if it's a very clear listing violation, they may be able to help. It's worth a try anyway.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

You can open a support case. Linden Lab (that's Lab without an s btw) won't usually get involved in such cases but if it's a very clear listing violation, they may be able to help. It's worth a try anyway.

Thanks, I actually did that before I read this before reading this. As for the reply I received, it seems LL isn't "interested" in refunding anything you buy and leaves it up to you to beg for your refund from the merchant. Idk but this whole system seems antiquated to me. 

On a different note, I get a vague feeling of victim blaming by reading the above comments. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KammyKat said:

Thanks, I actually did that before I read this before reading this. As for the reply I received, it seems LL isn't "interested" in refunding anything you buy and leaves it up to you to beg for your refund from the merchant. Idk but this whole system seems antiquated to me.

Yes, but it was worth a try.

2 minutes ago, KammyKat said:

On a different note, I get a vague feeling of victim blaming by reading the above comments. 

Not really. More like a welcome-to-the-club feeling. ;)

I think we all have similar experiences.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KammyKat said:

Yeah, well at least going forward I know LL support isn't  something you can't rely on. 

In my experience the support Lindens are usually quite positive and eager to help. There are limits to what they are abe to do though and they do have this very strict "buyer beware" policy.

Now, i don't know where in the Real World you are from what you've posted here, I get a feeling you are European like me so you hit the same cultural barrier that I do here. There is of course absolutely no way Linden Lab would have been allowed to run the Marketplace the way they do if they had been based in Europe. But the Americans do things different and Linden Lab is 'merican.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Now, i don't know where in the Real World you are from what you've posted here, I get a feeling you are European like me so you hit the same cultural barrier that I do here. There is of course absolutely no way Linden Lab would have been allowed to run the Marketplace the way they do if they had been based in Europe. But the Americans do things different and Linden Lab is 'merican.

Yes, I'm European ^_^

• Like 2

I'm not sure if the issue is the difference between America and Europe.

One thing I am sure of though, is that I don't want LL to leverage an additional charge on us to "get all excited about" like before, all because they have to spend immense amounts of time investigating MP squabbles..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

kammyKat, it's a complicated issue.

If LL investigated ALL the problems residents have with each other on the MP it would be time-consuming/costly -- no doubt that cost would be passed on to the merchants. And we have a hard enough time surviving financially as it is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

If LL investigated ALL the problems residents have with each other on the MP it would be time-consuming/costly

It's time consuming and costly and usually futile to try to put the genie back into the bottle. It would have been very different if there had been good routines for handlign such problems right fromt he start. But, well, there weren't.

1 minute ago, ChinRey said:
5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

If LL investigated ALL the problems residents have with each other on the MP it would be time-consuming/costly

It's time consuming and costly and usually futile to try to put the genie back into the bottle. It would have been very different if there had been good routines for handlign such problems right fromt he start. But, well, there weren't.

What should they have done differently from the beginning?

10 hours ago, KammyKat said:

Hello I just bought a hoverboard from the marketplace and it says there it's 100% Mesh, but it isn't, it's all prim. Had I known this fact I would have never bought the product, but the images seem convincing and I thought I was getting a high quality product but in fact it's all made of prim and looks bad in-world. The product doesn't have a DEMO version, of course. I have reported the product for false advertisement.  I left a review that the product is misleading, and have sent the merchant a notecard explaining that I want a refund, but I don't think they are active in second life anymore.

1 star the product, that's what I do.

Having said that that's the best you can do. I have seen products with six 1/5 reviews all citing the particular desk sized furniture being 240 prim. Some people don't really heed the warning signs.

Edited by iamyourneighbour
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

If LL investigated ALL the problems residents have with each other on the MP it would be time-consuming/costly -- no doubt that cost would be passed on to the merchants. And we have a hard enough time surviving financially as it is.

It's also costly and time consuming for people who aren't aware that the MP can be abused like that. Anyway, I'm probably barking up the wrong tree, as ChinRey explaind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

What should they have done differently from the beginning?

Establish the rules right from the start, make sure people knows about them and make sure people know there are consequences if they break them.

One of the main reasons why MP is so open for all kinds of ... questionable business practices, is that everybody "know" LL doesn't even enforce the few rules they have.

Also, establish good, efficient routines for handling support cases. One thing that always strikes me when I open a support case, is how difficult it is for the Linden assigned to handle it. There's been a noticeable improvement there but it's still obvious that their work routiens are anything but efficient.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KammyKat said:
21 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It's also costly and time consuming for people who aren't aware that the MP can be abused like that. Anyway, I'm probably barking up the wrong tree, as ChinRey explaind.

No, not barking up the wrong tree, as I have no country -- I don't like countries.

I am a tree in SL btw...lol ...most of the time.

But yes, I hear you -- you have a side too, and your time is being wasted and that's frustrating for you.  Perhaps not as many people in your situation are disadvantaged as would be for LL & merchants if the costs of more MP monitoring increased though.  I don't know this for sure, but it's something to consider.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2221 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.