Is "LIFE Properties" owned by Linden Labs?

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2247 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I wanted to buy a piece of abandoned land and filed a ticket, as required. I was told that it would be put up for auction. I replied asking why auction it when there is direct interest. I did not get an answer. The auction went off and as predicted, Life properties snapped it up. This one, unlike any other of their lots, has not been set for re-sale (at an astronomical price) nor is it available for rent (also like most any of their lots) and has been that way since they claimed it. So, perhaps there is some connection. Or perhaps it is a coincidence.

I suspect they use a bot, or bots, to buy up the land, then go back and set them for resale by hand later.

Also, LL seems very inconsistent about land they set for sale directly and put for auction, in my experience. Probably depends on which agent reads the ticket.

On 2/22/2018 at 2:41 PM, iamyourneighbour said:

Imo the turn over isn't that high, my little marketplace shop racks in a messy 1.5-2K L$ range a day while one of their held land, beach block too, has been sitting there for sale for over three month. 

Maybe me jinxing it has an effect, IDK. 

No. And if your business model depends on "jinxing" others, it is immoral and likely a TOS violation can be found to report you.

What you have to understand about a big operation like LIFE is rentals math, which I'm not sure you understand.

To look at one piece of land and say about it "wow, they are losing money selling it at that price when no one buys it, why I can run circles around them selling my little 512s" -- it's just fallacious. Because you aren't seeing their HUGE operation.

It's like in RL, companies buying in bulk and selling when the market warrants it, and warehousing it otherwise.

It is cheaper for a big landlord paying bulk tier, especially if they have a further Linden bulk discount which many of them have, beyond the group 10% or the bulk discount available after $195 tier -- to simply leave land for sale at a high price.

Why?

Because the tier they have to pay on that land -- even for months at at time -- is NOT going to be higher than the high price they charge for land. So they can STILL make a profit.

Look at ALL their sales on the many sims they own and you will see that the higher price they get pays tier and leaves them a profit; their keeping up prices also rewards them. That's why they do this; that's why they stay in business and others don't.

Only very large operations can do this; Anshe Chung could do it. I'm not in the land-selling business but the occasional times when I want to sell a parcel, I can't afford to do that. Nor can you.

To pay tier months on end on land that "yields nothing". To wait 9 months or 18 months for it to sell. It wouldn't be practical or advisible at my low level or yours.

For a giant company, it is, as they help keep prices in general high when they do that, i.e on Zindra. There is nothing illegal about this; it is the market, albeit in the distorted form that SL takes as there are no longer any freely-available public data on these matters. 

You don't know who wins the auction often; you can't see if they bid up the price (you could see this before) and adjust your own purchasing accordingly, and encourage others as well not to buy from people who deliberately jack up auctions. That used to happen; now it can't, there is no confirmation or information. Seeing what you see in world is not confirmation as land can flip and change hands rapidly with many buyers after an auction.

So again, the question is this: why the harassment of people who sell land in ways you don't like, and the implication you are going to "get them"? With a provocative post like this, and with the comments that pile up it?

If you don't like those high prices, don't buy them? You have WAY more choice than we had 13 years ago.

If the Lindens don't like this, then rather than allowing griefers and forums posters harass people, they need to make a policy and then deliver it. If they don't like large land holdings and monopolies, they can bar it on their servers for any reason or no reason in the TOS, the end.

They used to try to "get rid of" Anshe by printing so many new sims they figured she couldn't buy them all. They were wrong.

At this point, I would guess that anyone buying abandoned land appearing on the open auction is doing the Lindens a favour. 

I myself advocate that abandoned land NOT be put on the open auction until FIRST those who LIVE ON THAT SIM can bid for it in a local auction or simply request it. I believe the Lindens should just set any land to sale to anyone who requests it, full stop. Their notion that there are all these people who should fairly have a bid at land next to you is totally misplaced. You're the best caretaker of land on YOUR sim and you should imply get it on request. ONLY THEN should it go to auction.

Lobby for reasonable policies like that instead of heckling people with signs, putting up nuisances to drive away buyers, posting harassment messages in the forums. It's not all your world, either. It belongs to all of us. The Lindens need to end their aversion to governance and put in a few simple policies to stop driving conflicts.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

No. And if your business model depends on "jinxing" others, it is immoral and likely a TOS violation can be found to report you.

What you have to understand about a big operation like LIFE is rentals math, which I'm not sure you understand.

To look at one piece of land and say about it "wow, they are losing money selling it at that price when no one buys it, why I can run circles around them selling my little 512s" -- it's just fallacious. Because you aren't seeing their HUGE operation.

It's like in RL, companies buying in bulk and selling when the market warrants it, and warehousing it otherwise.

It is cheaper for a big landlord paying bulk tier, especially if they have a further Linden bulk discount which many of them have, beyond the group 10% or the bulk discount available after $195 tier -- to simply leave land for sale at a high price.

Why?

Because the tier they have to pay on that land -- even for months at at time -- is NOT going to be higher than the high price they charge for land. So they can STILL make a profit.

Look at ALL their sales on the many sims they own and you will see that the higher price they get pays tier and leaves them a profit; their keeping up prices also rewards them. That's why they do this; that's why they stay in business and others don't.

Only very large operations can do this; Anshe Chung could do it. I'm not in the land-selling business but the occasional times when I want to sell a parcel, I can't afford to do that. Nor can you.

To pay tier months on end on land that "yields nothing". To wait 9 months or 18 months for it to sell. It wouldn't be practical or advisible at my low level or yours.

For a giant company, it is, as they help keep prices in general high when they do that, i.e on Zindra. There is nothing illegal about this; it is the market, albeit in the distorted form that SL takes as there are no longer any freely-available public data on these matters. 

You don't know who wins the auction often; you can't see if they bid up the price (you could see this before) and adjust your own purchasing accordingly, and encourage others as well not to buy from people who deliberately jack up auctions. That used to happen; now it can't, there is no confirmation or information. Seeing what you see in world is not confirmation as land can flip and change hands rapidly with many buyers after an auction.

So again, the question is this: why the harassment of people who sell land in ways you don't like, and the implication you are going to "get them"? With a provocative post like this, and with the comments that pile up it?

If you don't like those high prices, don't buy them? You have WAY more choice than we had 13 years ago.

If the Lindens don't like this, then rather than allowing griefers and forums posters harass people, they need to make a policy and then deliver it. If they don't like large land holdings and monopolies, they can bar it on their servers for any reason or no reason in the TOS, the end.

They used to try to "get rid of" Anshe by printing so many new sims they figured she couldn't buy them all. They were wrong.

At this point, I would guess that anyone buying abandoned land appearing on the open auction is doing the Lindens a favour. 

I myself advocate that abandoned land NOT be put on the open auction until FIRST those who LIVE ON THAT SIM can bid for it in a local auction or simply request it. I believe the Lindens should just set any land to sale to anyone who requests it, full stop. Their notion that there are all these people who should fairly have a bid at land next to you is totally misplaced. You're the best caretaker of land on YOUR sim and you should imply get it on request. ONLY THEN should it go to auction.

Lobby for reasonable policies like that instead of heckling people with signs, putting up nuisances to drive away buyers, posting harassment messages in the forums. It's not all your world, either. It belongs to all of us. The Lindens need to end their aversion to governance and put in a few simple policies to stop driving conflicts.

Ah they will be fine! I didn't grief no one, it is just a sign promoting a healthy message! Plus if they are suffering no loss, I am doing no wrong. 

And they need to be more tolerant to my renters using script animals. Not like I placed then there on purpose! Mainland belongs to all of us as you said, pesky choosy buyers! I plan to have an additional two farms as a part of my mainland beautification project. 

Edited by iamyourneighbour

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2247 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.