Dead computer, Sata drive, login lnfo?

Dream Pop

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My dead computer has firestorm which has my login auto saved for an account I created 7 years ago, is there anyway to recover this through taking out the sata drive and trying to usb it to my new laptop? Or what exactly do I need to do?(not a techy)

I do not have the email or password for this account, and LL hasn't been able to help

Edited by pippi Jinx
Precise spelling

11 answers to this question

If you are talking about the same account that you used to log in to the forums, then you may already have that information on your current computer.  Check your browser to see if you were smart enough to save the user ID and password.  If you're using Firefox, for example, you will find it under Tools >>> Options >>> Privacy & Security .

• Like 1

With "computer", do you mean an actual desktop case or another laptop? Several types of consumer ware laptops are not really meant to be opened and their cases might break in the process. For other laptops, you can get lucky and have a service hatch which will allow access to the hard drive or other components. Or you have to unfasten a ton of screws to remove the whole lower side of the machine. Laptop drives will most likely be of the 2.5 inch kind. making them very flat and thin compared to the bulkier 3.5 ones which are more likely to be found in a desktop. 
In a desktop, it's usually just opening a sidepanel, removing the two cables and take out the drive.

To connect the drive to your new machine, you are probably best off if you get an adapter or a docking station. The linked ones are just random examples picked at first glance, no idea if there are better and/or cheaper ones. But just for the general idea...

Whether the login credentials can be extracted from another install folder ... I'm actually not sure. Perhaps it would be wise to get in touch with the support staff and describe your situation.

And let's hope that it wasn't the hard drive which died. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

With "computer", do you mean an actual desktop case or another laptop? Several types of consumer ware laptops are not really meant to be opened and their cases might break in the process. For other laptops, you can get lucky and have a service hatch which will allow access to the hard drive or other components. Or you have to unfasten a ton of screws to remove the whole lower side of the machine. Laptop drives will most likely be of the 2.5 inch kind. making them very flat and thin compared to the bulkier 3.5 ones which are more likely to be found in a desktop. 
In a desktop, it's usually just opening a sidepanel, removing the two cables and take out the drive.

To connect the drive to your new machine, you are probably best off if you get an adapter or a docking station. The linked ones are just random examples picked at first glance, no idea if there are better and/or cheaper ones. But just for the general idea...

Whether the login credentials can be extracted from another install folder ... I'm actually not sure. Perhaps it would be wise to get in touch with the support staff and describe your situation.

And let's hope that it wasn't the hard drive which died. 

Yes! I was looking into those docking stations or usb connection thingys too to connect to my new laptop,but not so sure where to go from there. I had an old PC tower from 08. The motherboard had problems for a while, finally gave out in 2015 late early 16.

19 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

if you signed up with the right info LL has a real arsenal of questions to verify if you are the rightfull owner, did you try support or only the provided tools at the login recovery?

Yes, I've gotten back an other legacy name account by submitting a ticket where they go through login recovery, this one they just closed off with not even a response and the ticket status says: This ticket has been Closed  and status resolved. This was about 48 days ago and I didn't have time to pursue it.

" Hello, I am having problems trying to log into my account which includes the e-mail. The first problem I am having is yahoo.com the site where I created the account says the e-mail which this account is under no longer exist"

I had a screen shot even provided. They did not write back to me, they closed the ticket off without a chance to answer the other questions. I have proof at time making that account along a few other resident accounts I created that I can still login.

7 minutes ago, pippi Jinx said:

Yes, I've gotten back an other legacy name account by submitting a ticket where they go through login recovery, this one they just closed off with not even a response and the ticket status says: This ticket has been Closed  and status resolved. This was about 48 days ago and I didn't have time to pursue it.

" Hello, I am having problems trying to log into my account which includes the e-mail. The first problem I am having is yahoo.com the site where I created the account says the e-mail which this account is under no longer exist"

I had a screen shot even provided. They did not write back to me, they closed the ticket off without a chance to answer the other questions. I have proof at time making that account along a few other resident accounts I created that I can still login.

this kindalik , not saying it is... you used a wrong type of categorie..could that tbe possible?

It's not really my experience LL doesnt cooperate at this kind of questions.

Try reopening, or a new one when the categoy wasn't right.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

this kindalik , not saying it is... you used a wrong type of categorie..could that tbe possible?

It's not really my experience LL doesnt cooperate at this kind of questions.

Try reopening, or a new one when the categoy wasn't right.

Ah, I'll do that! thank you!!

Edited by pippi Jinx

10 hours ago, pippi Jinx said:

Some months ago AT&T and Yahoo parted ways. So, the AT&T email accounts hosted at Yahoo mail have evaporated. That may not be your case, but it might be.

14 hours ago, pippi Jinx said:

Yes! I was looking into those docking stations or usb connection thingys too to connect to my new laptop,but not so sure where to go from there. I had an old PC tower from 08. The motherboard had problems for a while, finally gave out in 2015 late early 16.

HI Pippi, your hard drive from your old desktop should still be functional.  you could always try to put it into something like one of the devices below

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075WDRSLZ/ref=s9_acsd_topr_hd_bw_bAqpP1_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_r=ZM4KDABD3K4ES09ES9GG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=114a7679-8c11-50c9-8bdc-cf1401ec2585&pf_rd_i=160354011

this is for a 3.5 inch drive which is what most desktops back in 08 would have had. you may need to open your desktop to find the size of your drive.  so you can put it into this enclosure to boot from the drive via USB if your laptop allows it.

that would allow you to boot from that hard drive and recover all your data.

otherwise what you could do is to connect that drive into a friends computer and use that drive to boot.   then launch the firefox viewer from that drive and get all your passwords that are saved in firefox by doing the following

For example in Firefox go to Options > Security > Saved Passwords

that should list all your saved passwords.

so multiple ways to do this. 

you can also just grab a VERY cheap old desktop that is being recycled by someone or for $20 on kijiji or craigslist and use that to boot your drive so you can recover all your data and your photos.

just some thoughts.  let us know if any of these work for you.

The login information is encrypted with a key based on the old computer's network card and other stuff. 

Even if you can grab the file using a SATA adapter you won't be able to decode the encryption as you won't have the key.

Looking in your browser passwords is one option if you have a backup. Otherwise you can answer the identity questions the lab will ask to recover your account - payment information on file will help here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Even if you cannot answer the automated questions that come up on the 'recover/reset password' screen - I mean, how many of us have our friends full SL names memorized - they have all sorts of things they can ask you.  They once asked my mom what city & state she was in when she created her account - likely because her current location showed a different state.  There is also the possibility of a security question, though that was not always done for all accounts in the past.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.