Jump to content
  • 0
Raul McConach

SL Constant disconnects in 2-5 minutes after logged in

Question

Hi everybody, i'm having an issue on my second life... For some reason, everytime after 5 minutes that i've logged in, second life log me off.

 

I already tried everything, re-install, clear the APP Data, restart the modem, checking my package loss, it is always 0.4-0.2

 

I do have 20mb Internet connection

and a brand new laptop I5 Gen 7, 8 GB RAM , NVIDIA 1050 GTX 4GB, 1TB HD and i have no clue why it keeps logging me off!

Someone?

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 1

Thank you all very much for your advices and help, after much fiddling and trials and errors, I tried something really dumb, I ticked "custom port" and left it to the default 13000 port and it -seems- the issue got fixed. left SL on all night as I went to bed and when I woke up I was still online and just tried now again after having turned the PC off for the day and it seems to be holding.

 

So I'm being cautiously optimistic but will keep monitoring.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
13 minutes ago, Raul McConach said:

Hi everybody, i'm having an issue on my second life... For some reason, everytime after 5 minutes that i've logged in, second life log me off.

 

I already tried everything, re-install, clear the APP Data, restart the modem, checking my package loss, it is always 0.4-0.2

 

I do have 20mb Internet connection

and a brand new laptop I5 Gen 7, 8 GB RAM , NVIDIA 1050 GTX 4GB, 1TB HD and i have no clue why it keeps logging me off!

Someone?

 

Thanks

the answer is most likely already in your post , your connection is causing it, packet loss always gives problems.

If you'r not wired, try that, or contact your isp, , because you already tried the restarting of your modem/router.

perhaps at this blog are some things you can use:

http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Just now, Alwin Alcott said:

the answer is most likely already in your post , your connection is causing it, packet loss always gives problems.

If you'r not wired, try that, or contact your isp, , because you already tried the restarting of your modem/router.

perhaps at this blog are some things you can use:

http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

Packet loss at 0.4~0.6 it is bad? i thought it were okay! lol

 

I'll try to contact my ISP then, thanks !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
29 minutes ago, Raul McConach said:

Packet loss at 0.4~0.6 it is bad? i thought it were okay! lol

that would not cause the crash instantly, but if this is what you measure during the normal stay in sl it can have higher peeks that do cause the crashing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, Raul McConach said:

Packet loss at 0.4~0.6 it is bad? i thought it were okay! lol

For comparison, my packet loss is very rarely above 0.0%. A consistent value as high as 0.4% is a matter for concern, as Alwin says.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
10 minutes ago, Raul McConach said:

Brazil

Hmmm... The reason I ask is that a person's ping time will naturally increase with distance from the Sl servers.  Here in North America, our ping times are generally well under 100 msec (mine averages about 75 msec typically).   Open your Statistics Bar (CTRL + Shift + 1) and take a look to see what yours is. From Brazil, I might expect it to be higher than mine but still less than maybe 120 msec. That would not be problematic.  If your ping time is closer to 200 msec, however, your viewer and the servers could be out of sync by enough to cause trouble, especially if you have 0.4 - 0.6% packet loss.  You cannot do much about ping time, although your ISP may be able to help if it is dramatically high, but it might be yet another clue to your problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
10 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Hmmm... The reason I ask is that a person's ping time will naturally increase with distance from the Sl servers.  Here in North America, our ping times are generally well under 100 msec (mine averages about 75 msec typically).   Open your Statistics Bar (CTRL + Shift + 1) and take a look to see what yours is. From Brazil, I might expect it to be higher than mine but still less than maybe 120 msec. That would not be problematic.  If your ping time is closer to 200 msec, however, your viewer and the servers could be out of sync by enough to cause trouble, especially if you have 0.4 - 0.6% packet loss.  You cannot do much about ping time, although your ISP may be able to help if it is dramatically high, but it might be yet another clue to your problem.

Probabily yes, my ping is about 230-260 ms.. I'll try to contact them another time, but it never happened before and to be honest i use this same connection since 5 months ago and never happened this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

So, then, it may be something that has changed with your ISP.  Take a look at the advanced suggestions in Nalates's blog.  Specifically, consider doing a tracer test to see where the slow spots in your Internet pathway may be.  That information could help when you talk with your ISP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The 200 to 300ms ping is not horrible. A few years ago that was sort of average. It may make your mouse and keyboard clicks feel sluggish. But, it shouldn't crash you.

The Troubleshoot Your Connection post you have been linked to should help sort out where the problem is. It explains how the viewer PING is different from the computer's system PING. So, get the IP Address to PING from the viewer's HELP. The system Ping to that address is what your ISP will be interested in.

I suggest you look in your log files to see if you can find a clue. Refer to this post for info on the logs: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hello and sorry to necro a post like that but I can't seem to find any solution to my problem. I have moved country (went back to France) and just got a new very fast high quality connection and everything beside SL works amazing.

for SL, every 2 to 5 minutes I get disconnected. tried looking at the tips on here http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/ but I'm not sure what to test on my connection as at first everything seems fine until I watch the "UDP Data Received" gauge slowly dry down to 0 and then I get disconnected. not sure what to do at this point.

 

As a note I've been in SL for nearly 15 years and have had my share of issues but it's the first time I encounter this one through moves and PC upgrades.

Quote

Second Life Release 6.3.0.530115 (64bit)
Release Notes

You are at 224.1, 156.3, 506.3 in Face North located at sim10343.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.50.65:13006)
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Face North/224/156/506
(global coordinates 130,016.0, 346,780.0, 506.3)
Second Life RC Magnum 19.08.23.530380
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (4200 MHz)
Memory: 16343 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 18362.295)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 25.21.14.1935
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 419.35

Window size: 1920x1017
Font Size Adjustment: 96pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128m
Bandwidth: 4000kbit/s
LOD factor: 1.125
Render quality: 5
Advanced Lighting Model: Enabled
Texture memory: 512MB
VFS (cache) creation time: September 03 2019 13:38:40

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.4
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.64
Dullahan: 1.1.1320 / CEF: 3.3626.1895.g7001d56 / Chromium: 72.0.3626.121
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Packets Lost: 26/19,346 (0.1%)
September 03 2019 13:54:07

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Yes, you would have been better off creating a new thread instead of burying this one in someone else's rather ancient one. ;)  Still, .... 

I hate to say it, but what you are describing is one of the common symptoms of a computer that is overheating either its CPU or its GPU.  SL puts a fairly heavy load on a computer, which translates into heat.  If you don't have adequate ventilation or if your machine is choked with dust bunnies and cat hair, it can't get rid of the heat fast enough.  It shuts down SL automatically to save itself.  If that's the problem, the solution is to open up the machine and blow out any dust with canned air, and check to be sure that its fans are spinning freely.  If you have a laptop, you'll probably have to get a professional to do it.  I always put my own laptop on a raised base with its own fan to improve air circulation under the machine.  I'd also recommend installing a free temperature monitoring program in your machine to alert you when heating is starting to become a problem.  There are several good ones on the Internet.

There may be other reasons for your problem, but that's one to take seriously.  It';s also good maintenance advice anyway.  If that's NOT the answer, you may need to look to your ISP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thanks for the quick reply, however, considering I just moved and cleaned my PC thoroughly and nothing goes above 140F (and that the PC handles much more demanding software without problem) I highly doubt that it is the problem, also this is a desktop not a laptop that I keep clear of any dust very regularly.

And for the second part I'm not sure what I need to check with my ISP considering everything else internet related has no problem, I'm much more hardware savvy than software so I have no idea what I would need to talk to my ISP about sorry >_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I'm glad to hear that heating isn't likely to be the problem.  It sounds like you have been more diligent about computer maintenance than a lot of people who post here.  Overheating is a nasty problem but one that's easy to resolve with a little care.  I'm glad you're doing it.

If there's a conversation to have with your ISP, it's about the stability of your Internet connection.  You can check your ping time and your packet loss by looking at the numbers in your Statistics Bar (Shift + CTRL + 1).  If ping time is much above 150 - 200 msec or packet loss is greater than about 0.5%, your viewer and LL's servers may get out of sync and you'll lose the connection.  If that's the issue, check your connections and your router and modem first, and then (if necessary) see if your ISP can offer any help.  Ping time increases with distance, so I wouldn't be surprised if yours is already well over 100 ms -- and nothing that you can do anything about.  If other factors are raising it or your packet loss high enough to make you vulnerable to a momentary spike, you may be able to minimize them.  

Like you, I'm clearly fishing for solutions and looking for the common culprits first.  I have the added handicap of being far away and not seeing your machine or its stats first hand.  We might see whether @Nalates Urriah has any better ideas.  She often does.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

So I am currently on a 10gb fiber connection, which is pretty much one of the fastest and most reliable available in the country.

Before the disconnect ping is consistently around 150-200 ms which has been fairly common throughout my SL life for being in France.

Packet Loss is rarely ever above 0.2% and most often at 0%, the only thing I noticed before a disconnect is the UDP data received going down, no ping spike, no packet loss spike and no time dilation or PFPS loss either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Like Rolig, I'm fishing for ideas too.

Have you got another internet modem/router available, preferably from a different manufacturer?  If so, try swapping them out.

(And, while we are on the hardware swapping idea, do you have a different computer that you could install SL on and try that?)

Edited by Lindal Kidd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Sadly the modem I have provided by the ISP is the only available model, also if the modem or router was failing wouldn't other activities also be affected? I've hand several hours session in online games with no disconnect or loss of ping or an issue, this only affects SL.

And I'm afraid I only have one PC so I can't swap that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Draw distance: 128m
Bandwidth: 4000kbit/s

Take this down to 1,500, 1,000, and eventually 500 and see if any of those lower settings make a difference. Since you are seeing UDP fall off it may be the server that isn't keeping up.

The recommendation is bandwidth should be 80% of your max download or 1,500 whichever is smaller. UDP use has drastically changed since the Firestorm team came up with that recommendation. But, we still use it. 

Have you looked through the viewer log file after a disconnect? (I mention and link to info about that above)

Comparing SL to other online games isn't helpful. The only other game that comes close to being technically similar to SL is Sansar. There are people all over the world using SL without the constant disconnects. That means this is a problem you have, not the SL system.

With the Connection Troubleshooting, you don't pick a part of it to try. You work your way through the whole thing. That is how one finds what they don't suspect.

Also, the age of your router is important. Routers last about five years then need to be replaced. Not a hard and fast rule. Some fail sooner and others last longer. Restarting a router is a basic step in troubleshooting. Some cheaper routers can't carry the number of connections needed for a modern home, phones, tablets, computers, TV's, security, systems, home controls, appliances... So, after some time they can become connection bound and SL will fail. So, if a restart gives you more time online, then consider the router a suspect.

Your system and settings look good, except for the bandwidth. So, I don;'t see a reason for the disconnect. I am assuming this happens in a variety of regions...

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
6 hours ago, Damian Baphomet said:

Sadly the modem I have provided by the ISP is the only available model, also if the modem or router was failing wouldn't other activities also be affected? I've hand several hours session in online games with no disconnect or loss of ping or an issue, this only affects SL.

And I'm afraid I only have one PC so I can't swap that

I'd expect to see problems with streaming video before other games. How are Netflix and YouTube treating you? Are you on a wired or wireless connection? How far away from the modem are you? Is the cable connection to the modem secure? How many other people are using it? Check the modem's status to be sure about that, too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thank you for the detailed answer @Nalates Urriah. I have tried dropping the bandwidth to 1500, 1000 and 500 to no avail. My modem is brand new as I moved into this apartment and got the new ISP (and new high end fiber modem) less than a month ago. @Lyssa GreymoonStreaming services and YouTube pause no problem, no buffering or any issue of the sort. Restarting it didn't change anything either.

I looked at the secondlife.log file and I see things that might be part of the issue but have no idea if I'm right and how to fix it if I am. I don't know how to attach it here so I uploaded it to my Google Drive if it can be any use to figure out my issue.

I know it doesn't come from SL since until late July before I moved everything was working fine and since then the only thing that changed was my internet connection. maybe I need to open a port in the modem or something of the sort but I'm not sure how to do that and don't want to screw up everything else while trying to fix one thing.

 

Also, yes I tried varied regions, both empty and busy ones and nothing changes, within 5-6 minutes UDP drops to 0 and I get disconnected.

Edited by Damian Baphomet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
30 minutes ago, Damian Baphomet said:

Thank you for the detailed answer @Nalates Urriah. I have tried dropping the bandwidth to 1500, 1000 and 500 to no avail. My modem is brand new as I moved into this apartment and got the new ISP (and new high end fiber modem) less than a month ago. @Lyssa GreymoonStreaming services and YouTube pause no problem, no buffering or any issue of the sort. Restarting it didn't change anything either.

I looked at the secondlife.log file and I see things that might be part of the issue but have no idea if I'm right and how to fix it if I am. I don't know how to attach it here so I uploaded it to my Google Drive if it can be any use to figure out my issue.

I know it doesn't come from SL since until late July before I moved everything was working fine and since then the only thing that changed was my internet connection. maybe I need to open a port in the modem or something of the sort but I'm not sure how to do that and don't want to screw up everything else while trying to fix one thing.

 

Also, yes I tried varied regions, both empty and busy ones and nothing changes, within 5-6 minutes UDP drops to 0 and I get disconnected.

Could your new internet provider be throttling the connection for some reason?   When you first log in, there is a lot of data being exchanged.  Maybe that mass amount of data within those first few minutes is triggering some sort of throttle by the ISP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...