Cynthia Makira

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have been away from SL for about 5/6 years. I finally attempted to sign into my account about a week ago and it said my account was on hold. So I submitted a support case to get it reactivated and I am now able to sign into it. However, I have the Firestorm viewer (and yes I have updated to the most current version of it) and when I log into my account my avatar will not rez. I don't know if it's because the account is so old the textures used just aren't existing anymore? What is the problem?

Every time I attempt to sign in, it's just an orange cloud. I waited for almost an hour thinking it just needed time to load but no avail. Is there something that needs to be done on Linden Lab side? I have submitted a ticket to ask about that also but since it's President's Day, no response yet. Does anyone have any helpful answers as to what I can try in order for the avatar to show up in world? When I checked with a friend, they can see me perfectly from their side but I can't see myself.

3 answers to this question

You have a common problem known as bake fail.  When you were in SL years ago, you used to be able to cure it with CTRL + Alt +R.  That "rebaking" command was depreciated years ago, since your avatar appearance files now are all stored in the servers and downloaded as you log in.  If you have a crummy Internet connection, though, the files may not download in a reasonable amount of time, so you remain a cloud.  There is a whole page of bake fail cures on the Firestorm wiki, which you ought to become familiar with anyway. Go here >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_bake_fail

Now, if this is a recurring problem, you really need to do something about your Internet connection. Start by getting rid of wifi.  Linden Lab does not recommend or support wifi, although many people have no trouble at all with it.  There are too many ways to have signal interference or loss using wifi.  Next, reboot both you modem and your router and then restart your computer. That should take care of the problem.  If not, come back here and we'll try something more weighty.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help! I am connected to my router through ethernet so there's no wifi connection going on here. Also, what I did was just start the avatar completely over by choosing a new one that they offer when you first sign up and that fixed my problem. Whatever files were being used before, I guess they're just inaccessible at the moment. It's fine though. I have no issue starting over, seeing as how I do need to do a serious update to my avatar anyway.

I appreciate you taking the time out to respond! I was getting nowhere previously.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cynthia Makira said:

Whatever files were being used before, I guess they're just inaccessible at the moment.

That's quite possible, since you last used the account in pre-modern times.  As you noticed from reading the bake fail suggestions on that Firestorm wiki page, one of the possible cures is to load a completely new avatar (or use the Develop >>> Avatar >>> Character Test >>> Test Female option to reset your avatar to the default), so that's essentially what you did.  Congratulations!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.