ThareenP

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2253 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 minutes ago, ThareenP said:

A friend of mine wants to put together an avatar based on MIKE from Twin Peaks. I am hoping that someone might have a lead on some designer who's done special needs avatars in the past, including amputees. Let me know, thanks!

there are some groups inworld for the people who like that, i'm pretty sure they can help you find the things you look for

There's a place called A&A Town which does mesh limbs with various degrees of amputation. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Kilmarta/11/156/51  None of them really worked for me, though, so I ended up making my own out of a simple prim. It doesn't fit that well but it looks okay from a distance.  Usually when I take snapshots I use photoshop to blend it in a bit better but here's an untouched shot:

180221_009_800.thumb.png.3bca54d29d3448c6a50eef86352989bc.png

The main issue I can foresee with making an avatar like Mike, who is missing a whole arm, is that if you wear a rigged mesh top with sleeves, the empty sleeve is going to move as though there's still an arm in it, unless you can find animations that stop it from moving. So you're probably going to be limited to a classic avatar and system-layer + sculpty shirts. Or just tank-tops. 

The other option would be to get only modifyable mesh tops, re-texture them with alpha over the sleeve that's supposed to be missing, and make a mesh or sculpt attachment that looks like a knot or something to cover the gap.

Speaking of animations, I thought of an alternative solution that might work if you're planning to use a mesh body.  Make a priority 4 animation that sticks the missing arm inside the torso and use the mesh body's own alphas to hide the parts that stick out.  You'll still have to re-texture any mesh tops with sleeves though. And make sure there are no priority 4 animations in your AO.

Edited by Matty Luminos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2253 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.