Stalkers

JimTondini

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all. A friend, a newbie, asked me how can a friend stalking her that way: he knows constantly where she is, and with whom. She is little scared and frustrated.

I already said her to keep calm, nobody can hurt here.

But I'm curious, and want to try to understand how to best react:

1- Is him using a script/tracker technique that shows also who's around her?

2- can he cam in "private/cannot cam" parcels?

3- does stalking represent some tos violation?

Thanks mates

Regards

Stalkers can be quite annoying, indeed.

1) If he is using a script, or tracker, it is something she is wearing. She should review her worn items tab in inventory ans unwear anything she does not know. Another cause might be that she has location turned on in her friendlist, if that is the case, simply turn off.

2) Only when he is on the same parcel

3) Stalking per se does not violate SL, other than harassment, but try to prove that. However using scripts and or tools that violate privacy is a measurable ToS violation.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JimTondini said:

1- Is him using a script/tracker technique that shows also who's around her?

It can be done if she has accepted some scripted device and worn it, something like jewelry or a hud. She should certainly verify everything she owns comes from a store, not as transferred gifts.

It if far more common for people to leak their location unintentionally. A flickr feed, or something in her picks. Even groups.

She should certainly hide all her groups, and that is the prime way to stalk.

45 minutes ago, JimTondini said:

2- can he cam in "private/cannot cam" parcels?

Immediately you teleport into a SIM there is a period of about one second  where you can see inside hidden parcels. It's a very short time, after that, he can only see if he is in the same parcel. If can be that he might fly very high, over 100 meters and then look down. A Security Orb and adding him to the land's ban list can fix that.

49 minutes ago, JimTondini said:

3- does stalking represent some tos violation?

Normally no. Although if it happens for a very very long time the Lab might see it as "Harrasment". First thing though your friend needs to block the stalker, and try to ignore him.

You can see exactly who is on the same sim and where. Just camming is not possible if you are not on the same parcel. If you always visit the same places someonn can just TP through all your places until you are found and of course can see who is with you. No devices or magic needed. The LL viewer is a bit limited here but TPV's offer more info about your environment.

I wonder why I would care if someone knows where I am and with who? That's for me that important like a sack of rice that drops somewhere in China. This is SL and not RL. But for me SL and RL is not connected in any way. If that's different for you - maybe rethink how you want to appoach SL.

• Like 1

Thank you so much to all.

I think she is wearing lot of transferred stuff. I'll try to help her in verifying the content, maybe on a sandbox.

About why she cares. As said she is noob. And I can understand to a noob can be somehow scaring to hear one that says things like: I saw you there there and there with this this and this. Moreover he seems to annoy also those people she meet. 

I also suggested to ignore, block, forget.

Thanks again

• Like 2

Try to let your friend download Firestorm and see how the minimap works.

She will soon see that the only privacy you have in SL, is to buy a sim and close it to all. I can hoover over the minimap and read the names and cam to the avatar to check them out.

I do this the rare times I am in a sim for.... so I know if I should bother to reply to IMs. If they look ugly or not. Yes, I know I am shallow but I really don't want to know someones beautiful personality for an evening. Their beautiful avatars appearance is enough.

Even in parcels closed off for camera, I can send my camera to them and see what kind of room they are in. Because only the avatar is hidden. All the items is not. And if there is a bed, and the camera stays in the bed (If the avatar moves, camera follow them) well.....;) And two dots over each other in the bed?

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 3

It is also possible to buy HUDs cheap that list all another avatar is wearing. (They are often called What is She Wearing) All attachments. Shoes, hair, dresses, intimate bodyparts - if it is an attachment. No matter if it is invisible.  So if she is wearing cuffs that is used with certain adult furniture, well, that is open for all to find out.

They are used for shopping, instead of asking an avatar where that beautiful hair is from, just check the HUD and teleport over to the store. But, some think it is scaring others to say things like: "I see you wear nipples 999 from store 666". Because it is all listed in the HUD, item name, creator name.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Ok so here's how I do it.. (Occasionally). I brought an online tracker hud from the MP so even though my douche bag ex's are not on my friends list I still see when they come online. Just check out the person's picks and his groups, tp around for a bit when they are showing online and eventually you may find them.. Always works with me! Bit of a pro at finding people on SL. I don't see it as stalking just having a bit of fun and showing him what's he's missing. Don't let it worry your friend, she has nothing to be worried about... Unless she's got her private bank details all over her account..  (I found the douche bag random person that hacked me once and stole my lindens and rl info, so not all stalkings bad 😛)

I realise your not wanting to stalk anyone but it helps to know how it can be done.. Also did you first meet this person at the place he stalks you at? 

Edited by Amber Swallowtail
  • Confused 4

40 minutes ago, Amber Swallowtail said:

I realise your not wanting to stalk anyone but it helps to know how it can be done.. Also did you first meet this person at the place he stalks you at? 

The post is a year old, the original poster may not see your question.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 12:52 PM, Amber Swallowtail said:

Ok so here's how I do it.. (Occasionally). I brought an online tracker hud from the MP so even though my douche bag ex's are not on my friends list I still see when they come online. Just check out the person's picks and his groups, tp around for a bit when they are showing online and eventually you may find them.. Always works with me! Bit of a pro at finding people on SL. I don't see it as stalking just having a bit of fun and showing him what's he's missing. 

My God. I hope the poor sod doesn't have a pet rabbit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Amber Swallowtail said:

Chill 

its irrelevant you got it on MP, you state you look them up at the locations they visit .. tháts what could get reported, you using the hud will work against you if LL investigates possible AR's

Seriously, there is no good reason to be using such a HUD in such a way. At all.

What you see it as is irrelevant. Do try to understand that.

Also do try to understand how you've come across here: High School maturity level stalker ex would be considered "polite" as a description.

Write the Ex off, get on with your life. What they do isn't your concern.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

its irrelevant you got it on MP, you state you look them up at the locations they visit .. tháts what could get reported, you using the hud will work against you if LL investigates possible AR's

As i dont know the TOS very well... is it really against the rules to use a script to know if some is logged on?
If i would join the same group as my "victim", in most of the cases i also would see if he/she is online.

2 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

As i dont know the TOS very well... is it really against the rules to use a script to know if some is logged on?
If i would join the same group as my "victim", in most of the cases i also would see if he/she is online.

As a general rule? No.

It's how you use the script/tools that matters.

While there are some gadgets that play up the less savory uses for such scripts in their product description, the original intent for most remains as a backup method for checking if your friends are online or not - in case your Friend List gets borked.

Edited by Solar Legion

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

As a general rule? No.

It's how you use the script/tools that matters.

Im afraid its similar to RL.
If some "just" stands on the walkway staring into my window, the police will tell me "Sorry, there is nothing we can do, since nothing really happend yet"
Therefore i think, an AR will just work, if the stalker is going to threaten someone.

54 minutes ago, Amber Swallowtail said:

its an online tracker, available on the MP. Basically tells you if someone is online or not.. nothing wrong with that.. the rest is just common sense of where the person would be. Chill 

Just because its easy to figure out where someone is going to be, doesn't mean its not stalking. Stalking is not defined by how difficult it is to track someone down. Would you be "chill" if some jerk started to stalk you and you would be forced to either endure the stalking or leave all places you liked to go to, in order to escape him? Every once in a while we have an unfortunate soul coming to the forums asking for help, because they struggle to get rid off a stalker.

1 hour ago, Amber Swallowtail said:

seriously, lighten up its a game

Hope you get "hacked" again. Chill, its just a game. 🙄

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.