unable to pay for lindens with 30$ US dollars credit?

realflow100

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2252 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Whenever i click buy instant or buy limit. there simply is no option i can choose to use to buy the lindens with my US dollars credit.

Please help. someone!

What I did was attempt to buy limit buy for 30.90US worth of lindens

and I cancelled it after a few days of waiting. now I'm unable to do anything with the US dollars credit that it gave me!!!!!!

And no I dont have a payment method anymore. no paypal credit card or any of those options. so I cant proceed

Edited by realflow100

15 answers to this question

When you cancel a limit order, the money that Linden Lab was holding in  escrow is returned immediately to the USD balance in your account. Whenever you make a purchase of L$, the system automatically uses whatever is in the USD balance first, and then charges your payment method for anything beyond that. If you don't have a payment method, then all the system can use is the amount that's in the USD balance.

I suggest:

1. Calm down.

2. Buy L$ with whatever is in the account now, using the MARKET BUY option.  In fact, don't use the Limit Buy option until you understand how currency exchanges work.  Even then, don't bother using Limit Buy unless you are buying at least $50 worth of L$.

3. Set up a new PayPal account and get it verified so you can register it as a payment method for SL.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

Does the interface tell you that you've exceeded your purchase limit?  In my view, it should not do this, because you did cancel your order...but it might.  Purchase limits only apply in the first days/weeks when you start buying $L; it's a security measure to reduce instances of fraud.  The limits are increased after a relatively short waiting period.

6 hours ago, realflow100 said:

And no I dont have a payment method anymore. no paypal credit card or any of those options. so I cant proceed

you are 3 weeks old... and had a payment method.

Simply add it back.

Without a active payment method you can't do anything on the exchange. There is no construction that prevents you to buy more than your USD balance has, it has to be backed up or will fail. LL won't wait till you find out you have not enough money, if you go in debt your account will get locked and on hold till you paid.

• Like 1

I was having problems and encountering errors doing it the normal way by clicking buy and trying to add my card and info after clicking buy instant

so I finally gave up and added my card FIRST before attempting to buy anything

That worked

and then was able to buy the linden with the normal instant buy option. using the US dollars credit with the card added

after it had succeeded and finished i checked that my money was in. it was. and then I waited a few hours and then took my card off since I dont want to accidentally be charged anything. I always take my card off after im done purchasing something online.

Edited by realflow100

4 hours ago, realflow100 said:

I was having problems and encountering errors doing it the normal way by clicking buy and trying to add my card and info after clicking buy instant

so I finally gave up and added my card FIRST before attempting to buy anything

Well, duh.  That's the way it is supposed to be done. And you are not supposed to remove your payment method once it is approved. A registered payment method in SL is a proxy for having a secure identity. It's a primary way that Linden Lab uses to verify that you are not a griefer, or at least that they have a way to identify you in RL if you do something nasty in world. If you do not have a registered payment method, you will be blocked from many places and activities in SL. I am going to guess that if you establish a pattern of adding and removing your credit card, you will be flagged as a suspicious character.

From a practical point of view, your account becomes activated as soon as you buy L$ for the first time but does not mature until a month later. During that first month, you have a limit on how many L$ you may buy, and you are not allowed to sell any L$ at all. That's intended as a way to discourage money laundering and you protect you from overspending before you have a chance to find out how SL works. If you remove your payment method, I believe that the clock stops on that process.

• Like 2

On 2/20/2018 at 1:35 PM, realflow100 said:

its not my choice to remove the card payment method. its my parents. they just dont allow me to keep a constant payment method enabled.

i cant help that.

I hope you know that if you are under 16 years old, you should not be using Second Life at all, let alone using your parents' credit card for it.  If you're underage, please delete your account, and come back to us when you're a little older!

OK...sorry I brought it up.  Issues between you and your parents aren't really within the scope of this forum :) 

But the bottom line is, you need to have a valid payment method on file in order to buy $L.  If you want to be able to sell $L and turn them back into real money, your payment method must be either a verified PayPal or Skrill account.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2252 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.