Is it okay if small bits of my house / patio encroach into protected roadside land?

lucagrabacr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2248 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a sky island which encroach a bit into protected land (like 1-2 meters), but it's in the sky so I'm guessing it's completely fine.

But I'm thinking about purchasing this roadside land and the house I'm thinking of putting there is slightly too big according to the footprint, will LDPW / LL be okay with this? It won't be on the actual road itself, but the small patches of land besides the road. I've seen some that are like that too, but just want to make sure

Snapshot_6483.thumb.png.c3987aa9c58abb84c39f0a45b5b4367e.png

No it's not alright. But the chances of getting away with it are quite high, imo, because the house doesn't encroach on the road.

You won't be able to buy those zig-zag bits of land. It's the way that LL makes space for curved roads. The smallest parcel of land possible is 4x4m, which is why they zig-zag it like that for curved roads. They can't cut those little trangles out for you, and they won't sell you parts of the road.

ETA: I just realised that I misread your post. I thought you were wanting to buy those little traingles, but you weren't.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lucagrabacr said:

I have a sky island which encroach a bit into protected land (like 1-2 meters), but it's in the sky so I'm guessing it's completely fine.

But I'm thinking about purchasing this roadside land and the house I'm thinking of putting there is slightly too big according to the footprint, will LDPW / LL be okay with this? It won't be on the actual road itself, but the small patches of land besides the road. I've seen some that are like that too, but just want to make sure

you will most likely end up with everything that encroaches in your lost and found, also everything thats attached... i'd say pick a smaller house that fits the size of you parcel, even when it's LL land, it's not very nice to build on other's land.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It definitely would NOT work on the ground. I live on a Linden road and a tiny sliver of something of mine was intruding onto the reserved shoulder (not the 'paved' road, just the border). The thing was returned.

I agree with Phil that you could probably get away with it in the sky. But it would be a real bummer if it got noticed and returned after you'd gotten comfortable in it.

• Thanks 1

From the illustration I can't see a major problem. I used to have a roadside parcel and to connect it I extended a prim with a driveway texture to it that extended across 4 or so metres of linden owned land. No one AR'd it and I regularly see others doing similar. You're case seems analogous. To be safe keep within your boundaries but so long as you aren't blocking a right of way I doubt there will be a problem. 

I think it depends what the item is. If solid walls of the building encroach on Linden land, that's likely to get returned as a result of abuse reports from inconvenienced vehicle drivers. A driveway or some parts of phantom foliage, on the other hand, won't interfere with anybody's travel, so may survive quite a while before being returned.

Also it's a pain to have any of a house's interior extend outside one's own parcel; then you have to keep track of where things can be rezzed... and which bits must be linked to which other bit as root in order to keep from getting auto-returned... and then how such  linking might affect Land Impact calculations.

It's worth reiterating Chic's suggestion to scale down the house to fit. Most prefabs are tremendously oversized (and most furniture, too, in order to fit the huge scale of most houses), so shrinking it all down will almost always improve things even if you can fit the full-sized version.

I've seen encroachments into roads, but not often. I've seen Linden roads that encroach on private land. The latter is really annoying when the private land has a ban line.  You can lose a vehicle while on a Linden road with a guard rail.

A common encroachment in Kama City is to fill in the 4m x 8m hole at each corner of each intersection. The buyable parcels don't include that, probably so that the buyable areas are multiples of 512 m^2.. Sometimes the moles put a big flower box or a tree there, but often it's just bare ground. The ground is lower than the sidewalks, so something is needed to bring it up to sidewalk level. Just extending a pavement slab is most common, but I've seen landscaping, big rocks, and a fountain used as space fillers.

The most impressive encroachment I've seen is one waterside owner who put an entire reef with a lighthouse off the edge of the world. Well off the edge of the world - 20-30 meters.  It's off one of those beachfronts which goes right up to the edge of the world.  The result looks like a good boating channel, but it's not traversable.

Overrunning your parcel with a building is kind of tacky.

Another problematic thing about living on a roadway is that sometimes it is difficult to get your objects to move INSIDE YOUR OWN LAND when next to a Linden road.  I redid my shop yesterday and had some very strange issues with not even being able to move object INSIDE my boundaries (no overlap of any kind) and rubber banding.

This isn't new; I remember it from when I set up in the first place but it has been awhile. So BEST if you are buying roadside land to plan a bit of buffer if you can. It is the smaller things that are at issue, not a whole linked house. But something to keep in mind.

• Like 1

Let me explain how it works.

In Moscow, there's this opposition leader named Alexei Navalny who published a video expose of some oligarchs and a prostitute that tied a figure in the Mueller indictments to a Putin aide, showing the connections. So this video went viral and millions saw it all over the world.

Soon, Navalny's enemies, actual intelligence agents, pro-Kremlin types, etc. began abuse-reporting his video to Google, the owner of YouTube.

So YouTube, like all social media platforms tends to first ban, and then asks questions later, and often never asking questions. They've banned this opposition channel before, and unbanned it after enough people complained to them that they were merely banning a legitimate video that was true, but just under draconian Russian laws could be banned.

So the Russian Internet censor banned the video, it contained evidence that they were involved in influencing the US elections. Google then did one of their ban-in-country moves where they blocked that video only for viewers in Russia. Naturally some of the users use circumvention and there's the Streisand Effect and so on, but for extra measure, the Russian censor banned any news media or blog that even just covered the incident, let alone took any deeper look or favourable view.

Actually, all the elements of the video were true, there was geolocation, corroboration of other witnesses, the prostitute's testimony, etc. But oligarchs especially if they take big paydays on the London stock exchange are more powerful than the truth, and frankly in the West as in the East. A number of publications that have tried to cover earlier revelations on this story around the Steele memo also found themselves targeted with libel lawsuits and then their lawyers advise them to shut up. The oligarchs may lose those suits down the line as they already have in such cases, because in the US, you would have to show the content was not truthful; that you had maliciously and deliberately printed it; and that it caused material damages. Few libel suits meet all three tests, and in this case, you had the truth, you had the good intentions of the opposition guy wishing to tell it, and you had the oligarch hardly suffering any dent from this claim that he could just bat away.

But he's got UK law and can venue-shop and maybe get a libel suit to stick there.

Meanwhile, that Navalny video with English subtitles is still viewable in the US but knowing how this works, it may disappear if some bad actor finds some "copyright angle" to question it, or some other angle that will spook Google, which has removed literally thousands of YouTube videos by amateurs showing the proof of the Russian troop presence in Ukraine when they get a "copyright complaint" which of course doesn't apply if some guy is shakily holding a phone outside his car or copying his dashcam video to show Russian tanks.

So... In Russia, your enemies, who may be illegitimate or have some hidden agenda, can take literal laws and use literalism to abuse report you; the state or authority may automatically respond as it is forced to do; you may get some sort of human intelligence on the situation -- but you may not. The state authorities also doesn't question what may be wrong more deeply about themselves such as to cause people to have to make videos like this. The state may be selective in enforcement, rewarding friends, hunting down enemies. And so on.

The Nuremberg defense was, "I was just following orders." But it wasn't accepted. A crippling of Nuremberg occurred when the Soviets intervened to remove "class" and "political views" from the definition of "genocide" because then Nuremberg could be applied to *them*. 

These Soviet and Russian analogies are seldom appreciated because the scale and magnitude of real life is big and serious, and the scale and magnitude of Second Life is small and often frivolous. The analogies pertain, however.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2248 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.