Need Better Hands and Feet for Classic Avi

ChoiceRider

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2248 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I bought this classic avatar for a friend https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/FIONA-Complete-Avatar-NEW/6788458

It's very nice, but the hands and feet are horribly missing detail. What I want to do is replace the hands and feet with far better detailed ones. Is this possible for classic avatars and if so, how is this done and where might I find a good vendor?

10 answers to this question

That's the way classic avatars look. That's also why many people these days buy separate add-on feet or hands if they are using a classic body. (It's also why most people would not buy a classic body, which is the free default, after all. Those of us who used the classic body for many years simply used the Appearance shape sliders to modify it. )

• Thanks 1

As mentioned, what you'll need to do is either purchase some mesh hands and feet or buy a complete mesh body.  If you are happy with everything except the hands and feet, then an entire mesh body might be overkill for you right now. 

Slink sells mesh hands and feet separate from the mesh bodies.  There is another one that provided Slink compatible feet for a less cost, but I don't remember the vendor - it is available via the MP though, so searching might find that.  I've no clue about other vendors that just sell hands and feet.

Note that the vast majority of your classic shoes will not work with mesh feet.  Some boots and some flats (like sneakers) will, but nothing else.

• Thanks 1

If you're considering buying mesh hands and feet then it might be worth your while looking at a full mesh body instead, which is an extremely popular option for people who care about their avatar's appearance. As well as making the hands and feet better, the full body also adds smoothness and detail to the rest of the body, below the neck (usually, though sometimes including the head). After that many people also consider a mesh head, which does the same for the head, but that it is something for a later stage.

Edited by angeoco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At this point, I would also suggest to entirely skip the "just hands and feet" part and to go straight for the mesh body with matching hands and feet solution. In the end, it'll quite likely cost less compared to a "double investment" starting with hands and feet before moving on to a full body.

Plus... it'll keep you away from such, well, "business in a box" stores. I merely briefly glanced at the other ads of the posted store and immediately felt like playing "Creator Bingo": that skin comes from A, that one from B, hair by C ...

Both eBody and altamura have free bodies. eBody has both classic and curvy and has a skin palette that will likely come close to your head skin. altmura's free body includes head so no changing there except for the shape. 

Both are limited being free but are a big step up from the default avatar.  So check those too before buying hands and feet separately for a lot of money. We all had those separate hands and feet four years ago, but that is pretty "old tech" these days and a lot of gals have the whole mesh avatar :D.

Have fun trying out all the options. 

• Like 1

Depending on your budget, separate may be the way to go. Buy part now, part later. Don't break your sugar daddy. :D

All-in-one package may be an overall better price. Shop and compare.

I started with Slink feet, then hands, now body. Still classic head.

With body and head you may want to wait. Changes are coming to SL this year. By the end of March we will have Bakes-On working for mesh attachments... bodies. We make see heads and bodies taking advantage of the new service to make low-render cost attachments. Personally, I'm not waiting. I'm looking for a head.

If you are looking to stay classic absolute minimum you need is mesh feet, Slink/compatible feet have the widest range of shoes available. if you have an applier-less skin or an older skin the compatible Similar feet are worth buying and you get the three most popular Slink feet heights for less than the cost of one height of Slink foot. If you have loads of system foot shoes it's difficult to the point of not worth wasting your time modding them to an acceptable fit

If you have a lot of system foot shoes that you want to continue wearing the Maitreya feet are worth investigating with a little bit of re-positioning plus included foot shape i have managed to get old shoes to fit perfectly. If your long term goal is to get the Maitreya body the feet are included so you may want to go for Slink/compatible feet in the mean time

If your avatar is female, start with the Lucyshoes feet which are available free from the Baby Monkey shoe store. (I don't have a slurl to hand but you'll find Baby Monkey in Search).  They are fairly limited in terms of skin tone and they can't use appliers but they have skin blenders included and they are still better than classic feet. They also fit Slink shoes perfectly, which is a big bonus. There are versions for flat, mid and high heels., My f-alt had these for ages, before finally upgrading to Maitreya.

If you don't go with a full mesh body, compare costs of the various feet brands.  There is one on the MP called "Similar Multi-pose Feet" that is fully Slink compatible.  You have to match the skin tone manually, but I used it for months before I finally bought Slink - because the cost was so much easier to swallow.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2248 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.