Today I learned ...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Callum Meriman said:

From Hershey's no less.

5a86cbba459c1_download(3).jpg.bd31397decc2410333dd3ed0b25ab7f9.jpg

Now now, that one is solid chocolate.. Growing up there was a neighbor who owned a pastry shop and she made jelly filled chocolate crucifixes. It was kind of awesome as a kid, then creepy as an adult... Bite of Jesus' head and get a splurt of jelly... 

il_340x270.585157843_ouv3.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Now now, that one is solid chocolate.. Growing up there was a neighbor who owned a pastry shop and she made jelly filled chocolate crucifixes. It was kind of awesome as a kid, then creepy as an adult... Bite of Jesus' head and get a splurt of jelly... 

il_340x270.585157843_ouv3.jpg

TIL this! Also, the dark chocolate makes more sense because Jesus wasn’t lily white. 

• Like 1

I think some people (Jeny and Aislin) are talking about what in the Netherlands is called "drop". Licorice that comes in a variety of types but almost all, I believe, are both black and salty. Somewhere I read in some novel about a character with a passion for drop, and I thought it sounded interesting. I remembered seeing a place that advertised Dutch foods up in the Bay Area (as in San Francisco Bay), so I drove up there one Saturday. Sure enough,  there was a big long aisle of drop, all different. I told the clerk (a very beautiful woman somewhere between 35 and 45, I'd guess) that I wanted to try salted licorice and she picked out a bag for me.

I actually sort of liked it, although not enough to go buy more. I took the bag to work, where cookies and candy left on the coffee counter tends to vaporize quickly. I finally had to throw the bag in the trash after a week or so. One or two people were able to choke it down frowning, a few took one bite and spit it into the nearest wastebasket, gagging and yelling at me, and the rest were too chicken to try it. :-)

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Dillon Levenque said:

I think some people (Jeny and Aislin) are talking about what in the Netherlands is called "drop". Licorice that comes in a variety of types but almost all, I believe, are both black and salty. Somewhere I read in some novel about a character with a passion for drop, and I thought it sounded interesting. I remembered seeing a place that advertised Dutch foods up in the Bay Area (as in San Francisco Bay), so I drove up there one Saturday. Sure enough,  there was a big long aisle of drop, all different. I told the clerk (a very beautiful woman somewhere between 35 and 45, I'd guess) that I wanted to try salted licorice and she picked out a bag for me.

I actually sort of liked it, although not enough to go buy more. I took the bag to work, where cookies and candy left on the coffee counter tends to vaporize quickly. I finally had to throw the bag in the trash after a week or so. One or two people were able to choke it down frowning, a few took one bite and spit it into the nearest wastebasket, gagging and yelling at me, and the rest were too chicken to try it. :-)

Here in the US, licorice “drops” are hard candy.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.