Today I learned ...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Probably learning new stuff daily in RL, and sometimes in SL. But sometimes in SL it makes me feel quite silly that it took me 12+ years to learn about it. Like a couple of weeks ago, I found out (because a friend did it on her object) that you can set move right to a single object, so you can allow others to move stuff without giving them edit rights on all your objects! 

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

“How to Serve Man”, a classic. Then there’s Soylent Green. Also: someone posted on Facebook today a “news story” that Tampa (local) police were “under fire for barbecuing homeless people” (literally) and feeding them to other homeless people. Appeared as something like an Onion story.

246953D1-588C-4B5F-BC44-8CBE88E96F73.jpeg

Edited by Love Zhaoying

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I assume they don’t do this in the US.

Not any of the ones around me, but I sure can't speak for the entire US.  We do know that businesses offer different things in different areas, so I suppose if there is a demand for it somewhere over here, they'll provide it.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Not any of the ones around me, but I sure can't speak for the entire US.  We do know that businesses offer different things in different areas, so I suppose if there is a demand for it somewhere over here, they'll provide it.

I just don’t think we will ever see a Marmite pizza over here. Most have never heard of it, and the rest mostly chalk it up to being one of those weirdly charming things Brits eat, like kidney pie or beans on toast.

Edited by Pamela Galli

TIL: Koji.

Just tried Koji for the first time. Not bad. Read about it because Koji is used to make Miso, and my Mochi machine has Miso applications. I’m not interested in fermenting the soybeans for days/weeks, though. Anyway, apparently Koji is used as a food ingredient too, like Marmite but not as salty.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergillus_oryzae

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/26/2019 at 10:15 PM, Pamela Galli said:

I just don’t think we will ever see a Marmite pizza over here. Most have never heard of it, and the rest mostly chalk it up to being one of those weirdly charming things Brits eat, like kidney pie or beans on toast.

A bacon sandwich has to be top notch to be unforgettable. The breadbun/breadcake/bap must be plain white. The bacon must be just the succulent lean circle, cooked to perfection. Brown sauce is essential. Butter is optional. What an experience!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

A bacon sandwich has to be top notch to be unforgettable. The breadbun/breadcake/bap must be plain white. The bacon must be just the succulent lean circle, cooked to perfection. Brown sauce is essential. Butter is optional. What an experience!

In the US, “round” bacon is called Canadian Bacon. Normal bacon is in strips, made from pork belly.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.