Today I learned ...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 2/14/2018 at 1:56 PM, Grumpity Linden said:

Oz Linden often says that not a week goes by when he doesn't learn something new about Second Life.  I first heard him say this ...certainly more than 5 years ago... and it's true for me to this day.  Courtesy of Patch Linden, this week's TIL: 

Stipends are paid out on Tuesday because ....

"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Wellington_Wimpy

And there you have it.

@Grumpity LindenHere's an SL lore question -- I once was able to get Oz Linden's bear by asking him this question he didn't know the answer to.

Let's say you have group fee debits turned on, and you promise your group that they will only have to pay 2L per week. How can you reimburse them if the amount goes over?

Edited by Prokofy Neva

• Lindens
14 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

@Grumpity LindenHere's an SL lore question -- I once was able to get Oz Linden's bear by asking him this question he didn't know the answer to.

Let's say you have group fee debits turned on, and you promise your group that they will only have to pay 2L per week. How can you reimburse them if the amount goes over?

Alright, I won't cheat and ask other Lindens, so I guess you can have a bear if you want one as well :)  ... today I also learned the word "tenterhooks" but that's besides the point.  So? tell us!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grumpity Linden said:

Alright, I won't cheat and ask other Lindens, so I guess you can have a bear if you want one as well :)  ... today I also learned the word "tenterhooks" but that's besides the point.  So? tell us!

I will whisper it in your ear inworld!

On 3/7/2018 at 11:10 PM, Callum Meriman said:

Today I learnt the word "Runcible", being a nonsense word, is rather hard to define.

However, the real thing I learnt was that there is mention of a "Runcible Cat" in Lear's "The Pobble Who Has No Toes"

Yep, I guess most people learn this in Kindergarten, I guess I missed out again!

Today I learned that runcible was once a nonsense word.  At the time Lear made it up it had no meaning.  But over time it came to be understood that runcible meant a serrated edge as in the runcible spoon, it refers to a specialty spoon with a serrated edge, useful for consuming such things as grapefruits.image.png.e5def3512b8a9900ac72784e5faf35c8.png

image.png.2f06d1d108596d91567f70ef32874e1c.png

Edited by kali Wylder
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2018 at 11:27 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yeah, but it never shows anything more than current or prev day on your profile page -- and apparently never counts more than that either.

If you check my profile, it shows nothing about days won, yet I have won lots of them in the past.

It’s weird, finally up to 7.

TIL that when I lay out my clothes for tomorrow, I ought to put my underwear on top, because in my distraction this morning I very nearly ran out of the house without any.

ALSO, I want to go back to the sackcloth discussion on page one. I don't believe at all that it was called that because it covered a man's sack. Sackcloth is the cloth that sacks are made from. Burlap is such a cloth. The point of wearing it, rather than making it into a sack (for carrying things) is that burlap is very rough and uncomfortable, which is the point of mortifying the flesh. Also, nuns (who have no ballsacks, wore sackcloth.

On 13/03/2018 at 11:09 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:
On 13/03/2018 at 10:53 PM, kali Wylder said:

image.png.e5def3512b8a9900ac72784e5faf35c8.png

A spork

The only item of cutlery that truly expresses what it means to be genderfluid <3

spork.jpg.e3744a0f1ce68ff1ac8d1a9fdba6d6ed.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.