Online friends not displaying correctly

Leander Philbin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So, today I logged in to SL and literally no one on my friends list was showing as online inworld.  This never happens so I looked on my dashboard on the SL website and, sure enough, a few of my friends were indeed logged in. I IM'd a couple to verify they were there and, as soon as they answered, I got a notification inworld as if they had just logged on. Also, friends who logged in after me were displayed correctly in my friends list. I really hope this is just a glitch as SL has never behaved like this for me before today. Any ideas/suggestions about why this is happening would be appreciated.

13 answers to this question

31 minutes ago, Leander Philbin said:

Going to repost on the viewer forum.

Reposting in another forum just because you don't agree with the initial responses isn't going to help.  Not too mention that you actually reposted this same thing in another THREE forums, which is technically considered Forum Spamming.

• Like 1

I'm seeing network problems with clients and hearing about them here in the forum. So, it may be an aspect of an Internet infrastructure problem. Check your connection to the SL servers. A good Internet connection and a good connection to the SL servers are not the same things. http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

If the region or your connection is not just right as you login, several odd things can happen. One of them being your online friends list is inaccurate. It may take some time before the Internet changes enough for a relog to help (hours). Or an relog may clear it all up. 

Once the viewer has initialized everything, a TP won't fix somethings. You may have to log off and log into a different region. If it is a persistent problem, logging into a deserted and empty region like Pooley or Furball may help.

On 13/02/2018 at 6:30 PM, Leander Philbin said:

So, today I logged in to SL and literally no one on my friends list was showing as online inworld.  This never happens so I looked on my dashboard on the SL website and, sure enough, a few of my friends were indeed logged in. I IM'd a couple to verify they were there and, as soon as they answered, I got a notification inworld as if they had just logged on. Also, friends who logged in after me were displayed correctly in my friends list. I really hope this is just a glitch as SL has never behaved like this for me before today. Any ideas/suggestions about why this is happening would be appreciated.

It's more than a glitch, and it's just as Whirly Fizzle already posted. It's a region issue. You can easily verify that by going to another region (we tend to suggest Hippo Hollow as we have a support parcel there, and it's generally healthy), relogging and seeing that your friends list is populated. This comes up numerous times a day in the Firestorm support groups and tickets. I'd love to see this addressed by the server gurus as the frequency of occurrences has really escalated over the past several months. It's nothing major, but it is yet another nuisance.  *looks around for who I can bug about this bug again* 

• Like 1

Seeing this too. No friends online and even when they IM me, they don't show online. It's only after I IM them back, that I suddenly get a notification they're online. There's 1 friend however of whom I always get a notification when she logs in or out. So if it's a region or connection problem, then why is it that I see her log in and out all the time but none of my other friends?

On 6/16/2018 at 10:36 AM, Sith Soulstar said:

Seeing this too. No friends online and even when they IM me, they don't show online. It's only after I IM them back, that I suddenly get a notification they're online. There's 1 friend however of whom I always get a notification when she logs in or out. So if it's a region or connection problem, then why is it that I see her log in and out all the time but none of my other friends?

That friend is obviously an alien logging in from an orbiting spaceship using a megawatt laser connection. That is the only plausible answer...

¬¬

The Internet is made up of literally billions of components. The SL system is literally made of hundreds of thousands of components spread across the continent. There are tens of thousands of people working on all those components making changes, adding new equipment, and replacing old or failing-failed equipment. At any given time 20,000+k to 50,000+k people are using some continuously varying combination of those components to connect to SL.

Your friend may be lucky, a Linden Alt logging in from inside the LL network, live next door to the data center, or any number of other possibilities. 

Or like some people that mosquitoes don't bite this well known bug just skips biting them.

We have no idea why that friend shows up. But the number times you have seen that happen and called it 'always' versus the number of failures we and the Lab have seen tells there is a bug in the system and it is region and connection related. However, the connection issue you are thinking of may not be what we are saying. There is the connection from the user to the server and the connection from the server to other backend servers within LL's network. Connection problems and time outs in the backend connection may be aggravated by user to server problems. There are too many possibilities to know and it would not be surprising to find exceptions. 

Edited by Nalates Urriah
spelling dumb mistake
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.