Teleporting by Coordinates

Papabug70

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

The fastest way to get to a specific spot, if you already know the coordinates, is to rez a prim, sit on it, and then change its X-Y-Z coordinates with your editor. There may be some camera lag when you do that, so you won't be aware that you have arrived until you stand up. That can lead to some awkward flailing around if you missed your spot and are in mid-air, but at least you'll be closer to your target.

If you don't know exactly where you put your skybox, it really won't take you long to just fly up and hunt. After all, skyboxes are big and easy to spot when you are within draw distance.  You know that it has to be over your parcel somewhere, so stand in the middle of the parcel, hit the Home key, and head for the sky.

Two things here...placing skyboxes, and placing yourself.

To get a skybox up in the air, first rez a big platform on the ground.  Make sure it is completely within your parcel borders!  (You can also rez corner markers...tall poles at the corners of your parcel, and use these, if you prefer.  The goal is to provide a clue, once you are high in the air, of where to put the skybox so it's inside your parcel.)  Sit on the platform, and open the Edit window.  Enter the desired altitude in the Z Position box in the Object tab of the Edit window.  ZOOM!  (Hit ESC to reposition your camera where you are, up in the air, if it was left behind looking at the ground.)  Rez your skybox on the platform.  Now, while you are thinking about it, take a landmark so you, and your tenants and friends, can get to your aerie.

If you forgot that last step, you can just fly up and look for the darn thing, which is what I generally do.  Or, if you remember the coordinates, and are using the Firestorm viewer, type gtp x y z, where x, y, and z are the desired coordinates in the sim, in local chat.  If you just need to go up, type gth z

My research on this also revealed a quick way to get back downstairs.  Type flr in local chat.

EDIT:  AND I discovered you can roll dice with Firestorm.  Type rolld <number of dice> <number of sides> in chat, like rolld 1 20 which generates, for example 1d20 = 16.  Anyone up for Dungeons and Dragons?

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

I am thinking the OP was asking a different question than was answered -- but maybe not :D  

I use a map tp script which seems to be a bit more "stable" (at least in my experience).  Put in your own Sim name of course and coordinates.  

This opens a map and TPs them there when they click on the map. 

GlobalMapDestination(vector position, vector lookat)
{
    vector c = llGetRegionCorner();
    llMapDestination(llGetRegionName(), position - c, lookat - c);
}
{
    touch_start(integer moocow)
    {
        llMapDestination("LEA6", <108, 29, 1002>, ZERO_VECTOR); // this loads the map to region "Coda" at the position <128,128,25>.
    }
}

You can just open the World Map and type in the coordinates. I suggest you start flying before hitting the Map's teleport button.

Alternatively, you can set draw distance at max and look up. Often the lower skyboxes will be visible. With limit selection distance disabled you can cam up to the box. I do this sort of thing and having double click as TP I cam into a skybox and double-click to TP up. But, I also have a SpaceNavigator that I cam all over with.

I'll World Map TP up to 750, spin in a circle then TP up another 500m and repeat until I find what I'm looking for.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.