How to make a sale for one time use in SL?

One Niki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

14 answers to this question

Its possible to make but whether or not it would be a popular item to buy is another matter lol

You can check the script library for die scripts http://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Scripting-Library/bd-p/LSLScriptingLibrary

Or ask on the scripting forum for advice on how to write what you want http://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Scripting/bd-p/LSLScripting

The easiest way doesn't involve a script at all.  Make your object temp on rez by checking the Temporary box in Edit.  It will automatically vanish about a minute after it is rezzed. Remember to make the object no mod/ no copy to prevent the new owner from unchecking the box.  :smileywink:

Can you be more specific, I looked at you sent me, but I did not find anything that fits me.

I am interested in selling for one time use product.

I finished making it, including a timer clock, the time is completed, the facility is gone, but now what would prevent the buyer, get the product back out of the box, and use it again?

You can do that with "next owner permissions" if you make it no copy then anyone that buys it only has that one and when its rezzed and gone there is nothing left in their inventory.

When they unpack the original box instead of copying it to inventory it will move it, so the original box will be empty too.

Do you think I should have pointed out that you can extend the life of a temporary object by sitting on it or attaching it? It only dies when you stand up or detach it. That's actually pretty nice. For example, if you wanted to ride to the ball in your one-time pumpkin carriage, or wear your one-time rented ball-gown..........

Like Rolig said, temp on rez is the best solution in this case. But if you want to learn how to do this with a script, there are two options. This is probably the most simple way:

default{    on_rez(integer meh)    {        llSleep(3600); //delay in seconds        llDie();    }}

The only problem with llSleep is that it prevents other script events from being executed during the 3600 seconds. So if your item has other scripted functions, you'd use a timer instead:

default{    on_rez(integer meh)    {        llSetTimerEvent(3600); //delay in seconds    }    timer()    {        llDie();    }}

Note that the scripts won't do anything right after you save them. In order for the on_rez event to kick in, you first have to pick up the item and rez it out again or wear it. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.