Hug/Dunk a Linden and Other LL Events

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2351 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I couldn't find anywhere to actually ask this question directly to LL and I refuse to log into Facebook with my RL account just to post a comment on the associated Destinations page.   So maybe one of my fellow Forumites might have some insight here or who knows, maybe a Linden will actually see it and provide some comment.  This was prompted specifically by:

http://secondlife.com/destination/dunk-and-hug-a-linden-event?sourceid=dgw1

I realize that for the most part LL is a regular 8:00-5:00 shop, but do they ever work odd hours in order to hold one of these LL fun things outside of typical US business hours?  This event is next week during US business hours.  The annual Snowball Fight was on a Friday during US business hours, and I'm pretty sure the previous one was also in the middle of a weekday, US time.  The annual Halloween Creepy Crawl was on a Tuesday during US business hours.

Always having the various LL fun events during the US business day mostly means that only the same group of people can attend -- i.e. those that do not work during typical US business hours and those that are not typically asleep during that time.

I have attended a few things in the past that were Resident sponsored that just happened to have a few Linden folks there (stuff like the Bay City Mole party and such).  And of course, there are a few specific events within the yearly birthday celebration and Burning Life where you'll run into Linden folks, but I'm specifically talking about these special short-duration fun activities.  Has LL ever had these events outside of the US workday time period?  Did I just miss them years back?  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I realize that for the most part LL is a regular 8:00-5:00 shop, but do they ever work odd hours in order to hold one of these LL fun things outside of typical US business hours?  This event is next week during US business hours.  The annual Snowball Fight was on a Friday during US business hours, and I'm pretty sure the previous one was also in the middle of a weekday, US time.  The annual Halloween Creepy Crawl was on a Tuesday during US business hours.

It's the old problem finding a time that suits everybody around the globe. It's amazing, Real Life has been around for even longer than SL and they still haven't managed to fic that time zone bug!

But I do agree with you of course, it would be a good idea to hold such events at different times of day to suit people in different locations.

Not all Lindens live in the USA btw. They don't have offices anywhere else anymore but there is at least one Linden who lives and works in England and I'd be surprised if he's the only one.

• Like 3

Yeah, there will never be a time that would suit all when it is a global thing.  There are options though: 

1) Rotate times for the events - Do one event during US business time, the next event into the US evening hours, the next one during what US usually refers to as 3rd shift timeframe.

2) Hold some of the events on a Sat and span a longer period of time, so that you could get people from every timezone.  We do that with the big holiday parties at the Hangout - go from something like noon to midnight on a Sat, and that lets us catch pretty much everyone for at least a short period of time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

More seriously I guess - Personally, I hate doing overtime. Come 5pm I am out of my work like a rat up a drainpipe.

I'm not too keen on overtime myself.  These days when I have to work in the evenings or on a Sat, I just take a different day off work for it, so it all evens out eventually.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2351 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.