Transitioning into SL from IMVU (avatar style help)

Heidellyn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2231 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello! As the title says, I'm transitioning from IMVU here to SL. So far, (two days in lol) I'm really enjoying the freedom of SL but I'm having a somewhat difficult time recreating my imvu avatar. I love the way she looks and if I can, I'd like my SL avatar to look similar!

I've noticed SL does almost nothing in terms of getting you started towards individualizing your avatar... IMVU gives you a thousand or two "credits" free to go ahead and buy a cute outfit, hairstyle and/or even new skintone without leaving you looking like a noob. I've not had much luck with freebies here, most of them look atrocious in my opinion. Now that's okay, I'm fine with spending money on my avatar, but I'm not 100% sure of where I should start. Shopping on IMVU feels a lot more streamlined than here on SL. I've tried searching on the marketplace and in SL using keywords but I seem to get really outdated/ low quality results when I do that? D: Anyway I'm wondering if anyone here would be able to help me..

What I'd like to know :

• We have mesh heads on IMVU (I'm using one in the photos) but we don't have mesh bodies. Do you think mesh heads and/or bodies are something I should invest in to achieve my goal?
  • If yes, should I focus first on the body/head; the "base" of the avatar, or should I go for the clothing first? Does it not matter?
  • Honestly, any suggestions on hair creators that have nice curly hair would be amazing!! I'm having a really hard time finding them.
  • Bonus points if you could point me in the direction of clothing creators you think might suit my style.

For the record I've looked up several videos of how to apply items and clothing on SL and I think I have a pretty good understanding of that. Also price isn't really a factor so feel free to suggest anything!

This is what my IMVU avatar looks like:

Style 1 2 3

Body type

hair goals

Face details

Gosh, I feel like I'm asking a lot guys sorry! Any advice you can offer would be very much appreciated!

2 hours ago, Heidellyn said:

Hello! As the title says, I'm transitioning from IMVU here to SL. So far, (two days in lol) I'm really enjoying the freedom of SL but I'm having a somewhat difficult time recreating my imvu avatar. I love the way she looks and if I can, I'd like my SL avatar to look similar!

I've noticed SL does almost nothing in terms of getting you started towards individualizing your avatar... IMVU gives you a thousand or two "credits" free to go ahead and buy a cute outfit, hairstyle and/or even new skintone without leaving you looking like a noob. I've not had much luck with freebies here, most of them look atrocious in my opinion. Now that's okay, I'm fine with spending money on my avatar, but I'm not 100% sure of where I should start. Shopping on IMVU feels a lot more streamlined than here on SL. I've tried searching on the marketplace and in SL using keywords but I seem to get really outdated/ low quality results when I do that? D: Anyway I'm wondering if anyone here would be able to help me..

What I'd like to know :

• We have mesh heads on IMVU (I'm using one in the photos) but we don't have mesh bodies. Do you think mesh heads and/or bodies are something I should invest in to achieve my goal?
  • If yes, should I focus first on the body/head; the "base" of the avatar, or should I go for the clothing first? Does it not matter?
  • Honestly, any suggestions on hair creators that have nice curly hair would be amazing!! I'm having a really hard time finding them.
  • Bonus points if you could point me in the direction of clothing creators you think might suit my style.

For the record I've looked up several videos of how to apply items and clothing on SL and I think I have a pretty good understanding of that. Also price isn't really a factor so feel free to suggest anything!

Style 1 2 3

Body type

hair goals

Face details

Gosh, I feel like I'm asking a lot guys sorry! Any advice you can offer would be very much appreciated!

When using the MP to shop for new items, use the sort by drop down and sort by newest. 

Yes, invest in a mesh body/head as it will give you more of the same look as from IMVU.

Body first. The mesh clothing is usually fitted to specific bodies or several in some cases. IE Slink pants wont fit the Maitreya body. 

Truth, Argrace, and Wasabi pills are a few hair stores that have a wide selection. 

/me coughs and points to his signature area... Self serving, i know, i'm horrible.. 

Also, the number one piece of advice i can give.. DEMO DEMO DEMO... if they dont have one inworld, ask the creator to demo it. 

• Like 1

I can just provide some very general information, but I'm sure others will be by also with additional info. 

First, if you haven't already found this, take a look at the Fabulously Free in SL blog.

Second, take a look at the recent thread in this section of the forum titled "5 years later..."  Although the original poster in that thread was an old SL resident coming back after a break of 5 years, a lot of the information in the responses regarding mesh bodies and mesh heads would be applicable to your situation also. 

Personally, I would first get a couple of outfits that could be worn on either the classic avi body or on the popular mesh bodies, so that I had a few things to wear that I liked while I shopped around and got demos to try out.  

In terms of which body parts to replace with mesh, if nothing else, I would get mesh hands and feet (SLink would be my choice for those) HOWEVER, I would NOT do that if I knew I wanted to get a mesh body really soon - most mesh bodies will come with the hands and feet included.  I would get a mesh body before getting a mesh head. 

Welcome to SL!  

• Like 1

Thank you both so much for replying! :)

Drake1, thank you! I think I will be going with the maitreya mesh body in that case as it seems the most supported for clothing options. +  I'lI definitely make sure to demo

Moirakathleen, thank you so much for your advice and I'm going to check that thread out now!

At first and also at second glance, I'd say that you can get really close to your IMVU self, if you take some time to browse and try on demos, demos, demos. 

As for hair, the curly cut screams for a visit to Analog Dog, the upto one perhaps Doe.
You can also look for custom hairbases to add the fine hair across the forehead shown in your pics.

The basic clothing selection to get you started should be fulfilled by a visit to Blueberry and Addams. Shoes from Reign.

There are also a ton of shopping events inworld to come across more brands ... a lot of them are covered on the website SeraphimSL, http://seraphimsl.com.
But you'll also find a lot of shopping dedicated groups on FlickR. For example, there's https://www.flickr.com/groups/2751125@N20 for Maitreya Lara releases, which will also include several tattoo brands.
The popular mesh head brands also have such groups.

And there's the option of regular blogs ... the styles at https://laroseromance.wordpress.com and https://igotitblogsl.wordpress.com could be a close match to your styling preferences.

Happy shopping!

• Like 2

Welcome to SL

Hair suggestion: It's a gacha but don't let it scare you. i think you can find common hair packs on the MP sold by gacha resellers.

.Olive. the {Penelope Jackalope Hair Gacha @ Lootbox

As for hairbases i suggest checking those from Just Magnetized. They are very well made and with good hairlines.

You asked about mesh heads and yes i think you should invest in 1. Id recommend Catwa since most makeups and options are made for those heads.

Jewellery: Kibitz, Random Matter, Supernatural,Mandala, Amala

Mesh ears with plugs ect: L'etre

Skin appliers (assuming you like youthful looking skins, correct me if i am wrong) : Pink Fuel, Lara Hurley, Insol, Mudskin, Glam Affair

Heads: Catwa ( since most makeups are made for this brand)

Body: Maitreya

Clothes: Blueberry, Addams,Evani,Zenith, Coco, Tee*fy, Villena and Pumpkin

Ill add more suggestions as i find them. or you can IM me in world.

Edited by Jeny Howlett
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/02/2018 at 10:45 AM, Heidellyn said:

What I'd like to know :

Style 1 2 3

Body type

hair goals

Face details

Off topic but I offer free accommodation to IMVU expats ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2231 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.