I suck at making friends!

JPG0809

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I type in keywords in the search bar to find interesting places, but no one's there. I've tried joining the group of the sim(s) in hope of contacting someone, but no luck.

It just seems much harder to find, meet, and chat with new people than it was a few years ago. I've been trying to be more active in SL because I have so many memories of great experiences in world, but missing out in a community with my shared interests and maybe age group(I'm in my twenties) really makes my experience  lonely and dull.

Am I doing something wrong? I really don't want to give up on SL.

• Like 4

Take a look at some of the current threads in the "Make Friends" sub-forum.  There might be someone who has posted there and might have some similar interests as you do.  You probably want to put a post in that area and list some of your interests so others reading it will have a better ideas as to whether their interests might match up with yours.  

Sometimes it takes a little bit of time to finally hook up with people who will become good friends, but be patient and keep checking out different places inworld as well.  Good luck.

• Like 4

It's not just you. Friendship seems elusive and fleeting here. One tip is to message people here on the forums who post 'looking for friends' ads, though they can be hit or miss too. Another suggestion is to read someone's profile and send a message that relates to it. For instance, I once saw a quote in someone's profile. I shared my favorite quote from the author and thanked her for sharing a quote I hadn't heard yet. She was happy I shared the quote she hadn't hear. It's a nice way to slide into a potential conversation. Way better than 'hey how r u' 

• Like 6

Just a few days ago, I was shopping at a gacha event, I saw this guy who had such a neat, atypical avie so I messaged him and told him how cool I thought it was. (Ughhh, run on sentence, sorry). We chatted for quite a while, and eventually, he sent me a friend request. We've been chatting ever since! Sometimes just reaching out can be the key.

• Like 8

As already said, the forum is good place to make friends, not only by using the Friends sub-forum, but by participating so that people get to feel that they know you. PMs occur sooner or later, but it takes longer, of course. I prune out most friends from the friend requests I get, which is not very often these days, because they don't actually become friends, but I don't feel that I can remove the ones I've made from the forum, even though we haven't spoken for years, simply because we sort of got to know each other here and they feel like friends. E.g. I still have Honeybear in my list but I haven't seen hide nor hair of her for years. I can't remove her though.

Another way of getting to know people is by regularly going to those weekly breakfasts. Does Hippie still organise the Sunday breakfast? And I saw mention (in this forum) of another one in the last few days. They are very good repetitive occasions to get to know people, and make some friends.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Another way of getting to know people is by regularly going to those weekly breakfasts. Does Hippie still organise the Sunday breakfast? And I saw mention (in this forum) of another one in the last few days. They are very good repetitive occasions to get to know people, and make some friends.

Breakfast is 8:00 SLT every Sunday morning, at different locations around the grid.  GoSpeed Racer is the current organizer and the inworld group is The Breakfast Club, though the weekly location is also announced in a thread or two here in the forums and other group(s) inworld.

• Like 2

Just came back a few weeks ago after a three-year retreat and I agree with the thread starter at things have changed at the social front in SL Before people were much more talkative, and took more initiative to make contact. The SL residents seem to have become much more introvert, more for themselves. This is not necessarily wrong or right, but just an observation. One can wonder if this has to do with the harder social climate in RL as well. People are more reluctant to take initiative out of fear to be judged or labelled. 

Anyway when it comes to making friends. Don't worry about it and don't actively look for friends. Just relax and make conversation with someone you might like. If they don't answer, because of the above mentioned. Don't think too much about it. Be yourself and move on and have a fun time in SL.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Great advice everyone.  One other way that I have made friends is by renting a few different places, and establishing roots.  I have met some very interesting neighbors in these rental homes/apartments, everything from a one room 40L a week cottage, to a 350L week home and beach.  All of my neighbors have been very friendly and a few have remained good friends even though I moved away from the home I was renting.  If you can afford to get a place of your own this might be an excellent way to meet people.

• Like 6

On 2/6/2018 at 6:09 PM, JPG0809 said:

I type in keywords in the search bar to find interesting places, but no one's there. I've tried joining the group of the sim(s) in hope of contacting someone, but no luck.

It just seems much harder to find, meet, and chat with new people than it was a few years ago. I've been trying to be more active in SL because I have so many memories of great experiences in world, but missing out in a community with my shared interests and maybe age group(I'm in my twenties) really makes my experience  lonely and dull.

Am I doing something wrong? I really don't want to give up on SL.

Feel free to message me in world.

IGN : Pareocom

On 07/02/2018 at 1:21 PM, Aislin Ceawlin said:

Just a few days ago, I was shopping at a gacha event, I saw this guy who had such a neat, atypical avie so I messaged him and told him how cool I thought it was. (Ughhh, run on sentence, sorry). We chatted for quite a while, and eventually, he sent me a friend request. We've been chatting ever since! Sometimes just reaching out can be the key.

That's how I meet people, just on my own wandering around sims and someone will IM me and say hi, sometimes that's all it is sometimes the conversation goes on longer and you add each other.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2/7/2018 at 12:21 AM, Aislin Ceawlin said:

Indeed this is a great way to make friends, I have an added incentive, in my art business, 90% of my sales come from people who I have met and talked to before they see my art. Therefor the more people I meet and talk to, the more I will sell, so I often will just randomly reach out to people I find in the sims I visit. Every now and then it leads to someone buying a painting, all the time it leads to new friends.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This thread has been cleaned, and a lot of posts were removed. 

1. Personal disputes are not appropriate on the forums.  If you have an issue with another user, take it to Private Messages.

2. Hijacking Threads is not appropriate.  If you believe that you cannot remain on topic to the original post, please start another thread or take it to Private Messages.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Community_Participation_Guidelines

3 minutes ago, Dakota Linden said:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This thread has been cleaned, and a lot of posts were removed. 

1. Personal disputes are not appropriate on the forums.  If you have an issue with another user, take it to Private Messages.

2. Hijacking Threads is not appropriate.  If you believe that you cannot remain on topic to the original post, please start another thread or take it to Private Messages.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Community_Participation_Guidelines

But hijacking threads is what we're all really good ato.O

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

all that has been said is pretty much on point..just talk to people.. say hi, be nice. Be prepared for some to be non-responsive, but also realize that sometimes (in my case anyway) if they don't respond is either because they didn't see the IM because were afk, or were taking a photo on high rez (that's me!) and it lags them wildly lol.. I am often IMd when I am in the middle of a photo in a public sim, and its hard for me to respond. I usually will say something and explain, which puts people at ease once they know I am not ignoring them. Have fun, relax, and keep trying :)  Also, feel free to message me in world... I am not in my 20s but .. that's the beauty of SL..you get to meet all kinds of people!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Family in Second Life is a great way to make friends. Place an ad at Heritage and someone can message you or vice versa if you have common interests. There's a lot of busy places where people lounge at if you're not into SL family. Having a profile with a lot of content about your interests is an easy ice breaker for someome to IM approach you.

Edit/Add: If you've ever played other online games families and group chats are the closest thing to a guild. Also you're already on the forums which is a big step.

Edited by wanderllust
Added stuff
  • Like 2

The same happens to me

When I enter to the sims, they are all empty

And when I start a conversation they always end up ignoring me

I made few friends in the past but that was a long time ago and I doubt they still remember me

I think we have bad luck

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.