Mesh avatar occasionally goes low-res after TPing etc.

heygeeksandgamers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

see title basically. Sometimes, after changing regions or whatever, my avatar and her clothes will look kinda 'twisted', like someones turned them into rope and twisted it. Basically as if you were looking at her from far away so level of detail is low, but I'm looking right at her. Only way that seems to fix it is to take off and re-add all of what I'm wearing, mesh body and all, but it's a bit of a hassle to have to do that every time and worse when I'm working on the avatar and sometimes forget what I had attached.

Could anyone explain A) why this happens and B) if anything can be done to fix it?

2 answers to this question

7 hours ago, heygeeksandgamers said:

see title basically. Sometimes, after changing regions or whatever, my avatar and her clothes will look kinda 'twisted', like someones turned them into rope and twisted it. Basically as if you were looking at her from far away so level of detail is low, but I'm looking right at her. Only way that seems to fix it is to take off and re-add all of what I'm wearing, mesh body and all, but it's a bit of a hassle to have to do that every time and worse when I'm working on the avatar and sometimes forget what I had attached.

Could anyone explain A) why this happens and B) if anything can be done to fix it?

Happens when your LODs are messed up and the low is shown instead of the high, normaly after camming, then TPing - instead of seeing the highest you only see a mess of triangles.

The latest firestorm has a new experimental feature to allow you to press Ctrl-Alt-R and have the LODs reload.

• Like 2

The why is generally from a network issue. A good general Internet connection is not the same as a good connection to the SL system. So, test your connection to the SL servers: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

If the connection to the SL servers is working well and the region this is happening in is working well, not lagged out, then check the number of scripts you are wearing. The marketplace has free script weight tools. Large complex attachments can be a problem. Look at your Avatar Complexity to get an idea if this might contribute to the problems. Any ACI below 300k should not be a problem. Even 500k is not a likely problem.

Most TP problems can be traced back to the causes; network and scripts. But, I have seen Firestorm refuse to render an attached mesh. A quick check for viewer issues is to log off and relog with a different viewer. FS and the LL viewers use different caches. So, very rarely will a viewer problem happen in both at the same time. That 'same time' almost always indicates a problem other than the viewer. Handy to have two viewers installed.

Often a relog will resolve the problem. This can be because the network changed (self-healed) in the minute or two it takes to relog. Or because a memory leak was cleaned up by the relog. Some video drivers have a problem working with a specific viewer. But, it is more common for a driver to have problems with SL than a specific viewer. All viewers use the LL render engine code, AFAIK.

There is a free program Memory History that will show you how much memory your viewer is using. More importantly, it will show you if you have free memory. If not, that is your problem. Also, if the viewer uses more and more memory the longer you are on, the more likely this is a problem caused by memory leaks. A workaround trick to reduce memory use is to turn off the icon-previews in chat.

If you do find a memory leak... about all you can do is relog every so often or add more memory to your computer. While 4GB of RM is the recommended amount, I think 8GB is more the minimum and 16 should be recommended.Oh, and make sure Windows and your video drivers are up to date.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.