Mesh rezing too slow for built-in animation

Raena Parx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2267 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi.  I am using MLPV2 which rezes a weighing scale and animates the avatar stepping onto the scale.  The problem is because the weighing scale is mesh, it rezes too slow.  Consequently the avatar has already stepped onto the scale before the mesh has finished rezzing.  It looks really wierd.

Is there anything I can do to assist the mesh to rez faster?  I thought if I had an invisible one already rezzed, secondlife would recognize the textures faster like it does with sculpts, but that didnt work.

Any suggestions?

The rate at which a mesh rezzes will differ from one person to the next, depending on what each person's graphics system is capable of doing. It also depends on the complexity of the mesh and the resolution of textures on it, of course, and on what else is going on in the region (or at least within the person's field of view). There's not much you can do to affect any of those things.  I suppose that you might rez some sort of physical barrier (a transparent prim?) temporarily to keep someone from stepping onto the scale for the first few seconds.  Then kill the barrier.  Or do something spooky and dramatic like create a dense particle cloud around the whole thing for the first few seconds .....

Two other ideas. First check to see if your mesh scale is "heavy mesh" or even if it IS mesh (assuming you didn't make it) as we can make assumptions that it things are mesh when they are not. You can check the vertices count using the new Firestorm Tools in the build menu. Lots on that in the MESH forum these days ^^.

Other idea would be to add a pause at the beginning of the animation.  

Thank you for the suggestions.  I don't know much about mesh, e.i. heavy mesh, vertices, etc.  Could you suggest a link where I can read about all this stuff?  I work a lot with sculpts, but mesh if totally foreign to me.   

As far as this situation, I think I might just make the animation have a longer delay in the beginning. lol I like the spooky dramatic thing with the particles too.  that's a cool idea.

Thank you again. :)

You can find out a lot with the new Firestorm Tools.

This is an ongoing (hijacked) thread  which is pretty technical but has lots of info in there. You might love reading it or just have your eyes go in circles, I know not :D.   Basically you can look at the vertex count in either the new edit window or in the inspect panel. Only on Firestorm at the moment but I can't believe they wouldn't incorporate into the Linden viewer.

Scroll through the first comments to get to the parts about the new features :D. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2267 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.