Sign in to follow this  
torrie Darkfold

Is there any protection against someone copying my business & group name on sl?

Question

The fact that their avatar name is not related to their buisness name is irrelevant, most company names in SL aren`t related at all.

But copying your company name and logo is definately wrong, contact support.

4 answers to this question

The fact that their avatar name is not related to their buisness name is irrelevant, most company names in SL aren`t related at all.

But copying your company name and logo is definately wrong, contact support.

If you are seeing your Name and or Logo Copied on somone elses Parcel(Showing up in search). Then Send them a simple "Friendly" message.

There is actually a nasty bug where If I visit your parcel and then go to my land And the parcel Info has not been handed off properly to my viewer, and I happen to open my Parcel land and ban somone, or change a setting. it can easily put that info into my parcel. And Yes even down to the logo., Which will cause it to show up in search as a copied business name/parcel

Maybe they are unaware.

I would Look into this being the posibility if this has to do with Parcel Info

Linden Lab can't or won't do anything about that. This is one of the many things that have to be fought out in RL courts, although a letter from your lawyer might already be enough to get them to change their business name.

If your business name is not a registered trademark, you might want to check out the laws that deal with passing off, which can be used to enforce unregistered trademarks with an established market presence. Pay an online law firm 50 bucks for legal advise, have them look into this, and if they think that this law applies in your case, pay them another 50-100 bucks to prepare a cease & desist letter.

Nice one Ishy, I get fed up being the only person pointing out the RL options.

One more point - even if the logo is not a registered trademark it will be protected under copyright laws - if theirs is an exact copy and not just 'like' yours. Nothing simple you can do about an unregistered name though.