Returned items

MattMonroe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On January 27th over 5000 items were randomly returned to random renters on my sim Angel Falls. Reporting the issue ti Linden Labs I was told it was user error. Now I find at least a dozen other sims experienced the same issue at the same time. That makes it impossible to say it was user error. Now the sim has gotten worse in lag and is affecting the performance of several viewers. I have recently been transferred to the Second Life Server problems have been massive. Never had this many problems with RC Blue Steel server. 

Five thousand items being randomly returned sounds like someone has either been altering the region's prim bonus, changing groups on land, trying to exploit a reboot to gatcha-copy, or done something else that has overflowed the region. Do you have any hints from your estate managers as to if they were doing anything?

Were the "dozen other sims" your regions too, or just unverified word of mouth? I've not heard anything and that's over quite a few landlord groups.

The concierge team are normally pretty good if you approach them with facts, and in a friendly manner. That they say "user error" suggests they can see in the server logs what happened. You should be able to politely ask if it was one of the things I mentioned above.

Personally, I would never subject my tenants to what is close to beta server software. A rental region - in my opinion at least - needs to be reliable, and you don't get an assurance of reliable on Blue Steel, Magnum, or Le Tigre release candidates.

• Like 1

On 6.2.2018 at 2:10 PM, MattMonroe said:

Now the sim has gotten worse in lag and is affecting the performance of several viewers. I have recently been transferred to the Second Life Server problems have been massive. Never had this many problems with RC Blue Steel server. 

It has nothing to do with the change of server channel, that you can be sure of. Blue Steel is one of the RC channels LL use for the final test of new updates. Anything Blue Steel had a few weeks ago, the regular Second Life server has today.

Looking at the sim statistics, the server seems to work quite well. The script load is a bit too high but it's not criticial since there's hardly any other load on the server worth speaking of.

The sim is seriously laggy, yes, but it is all client side and it's all about the content that is there.

You're not going to like this at all but here is me looking at the park by the dance floor:

5a842e656915c_Skjermbilde(1079).thumb.jpg.a6190df6f4a048d1de2d7ce58000f134.jpg

My li'l computer manages 15.7 fps and that's critically low.

But if I derender all that Kriss Lehman and Hayabusa garbage the scene is filled with I get:

5a842f675d816_Skjermbilde(1080).thumb.jpg.2a16bc5a35e3a617cafc4e38c9b08132.jpg

23 fps. Still not good but it'a a 30% improvement and 23 fps is something I at least can live with for a short while. 15.7 is not.

Most of the lag in the sim is probably caused by a metric ton of high resolution poster textures on the stores' vendors. I don't think you can do much about that, except ask your renters nicely to try to help. But you can do something about the environment. Get rid of all that laggy third rate stuff by third rate builders and replace it with quality content by qualified content creators. I promise you, that will make a huge difference.

Edit: I forgot to point out, this was all about a practically empty sim. Add a dozen heavily scripted, heavily textured and heavily fitmeshed partygoing avatars and you will have serious lag no matter what you do. But just like the vendors, that is something you can't do anything about so you have to just live with it (btw, those avatar lag meters you can buy, whether they are script or ARC based, are totally worthless.) But still, you can do a lot with the content you have control over and if you want to get the lag down, that's where you should start.

Edited by ChinRey

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:05 AM, Callum Meriman said:

A rental region - in my opinion at least - needs to be reliable, and you don't get an assurance of reliable on Blue Steel, Magnum, or Le Tigre release candidates.

Never occurred to me that RC regions have renters/owners *duh*.  You'd think that private estate owners would get some kind of discount if they are on RC.

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You'd think that private estate owners would get some kind of discount if they are on RC.

Why should they? I have land on sims from all four channels an most of the times they all perform the same as far as us users are concerned. On the very rare occasions where there is some barely noticeable difference, it's nearly always in one of the RC channel's favor and then it only lasts six days before the main channel is updated with whatever new fearture they were testing too.

5 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Why should they? I have land on sims from all four channels an most of the times they all perform the same as far as us users are concerned. On the very rare occasions where there is some barely noticeable difference, it's nearly always in one of the RC channel's favor and then it only lasts six days before the main channel is updated with whatever new fearture they were testing too.

..I left out the assumed "IF the RC channels have more issues"..

56 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

..I left out the assumed "IF the RC channels have more issues"..

I think they used to back in the reckless years before 2014. I had my home in a LeTigre sim in the summer of 2013 when they used that channel to introduce SSB. That was ... ummm ... interesting times.

Nowadays they are very careful though. I can only remember one time since 2014 when I noticed any problems at all and that was quickly fixed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.