agentronin

Start Mesh Avatars versus Purchased Mesh Avatars

Which of the tabs at:
Avatar => Choose and avatar ....
offer mesh bodies, and Bento bodies? Is it all except for the Classic tab?

Since SL offers mesh avatars for free why would anyone purchase one from a vendor? What do the purchased ones have that the free starter ones do not?

11 minutes ago, agentronin said:

Which of the tabs at:
Avatar => Choose and avatar ....
offer mesh bodies, and Bento bodies? Is it all except for the Classic tab?

Only the ones under the "People" tab offer mesh bodies, and they're several years old, badly done and not compatible with any commercially available clothing or skins. None have any bento rigging. The mesh bodies were abandoned shortly after they were released - the starter avatars made since use the default body again.

Since SL offers mesh avatars for free why would anyone purchase one from a vendor? What do the purchased ones have that the free starter ones do not?

Third-party mesh bodies offer clothing fitted to them from multiple makers and appliers which can give them wide variety of skin and makeup options. There's no applier system for the old mesh starter avatars and they don't generally use the standard Second Life skin layout so it would be very difficult for someone to offer skins for them.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 1

Simply because the free ones aren't very good and have no wardrobes to go with them other than the few garment supplied. Start with those and if you stick around you can then shop for a better body. There are even nice free bodies out there for both gals and guys. But until you understand WHY, there is really no reason to worry about it. Just explore and enjoy SL in your default body :D. 

• Like 2

There are three vendors I know of that offer free mesh bodies:

Svetlana Eleonara
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/MA-Fitted-mesh-body-Free-version/6545785
She offers female only.

eBODY SHOP:
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Coral Island/225/171/2001
Female only.

TMP
http://slnewbie.com/2017/08/25/free-mesh-body-the-mesh-project/
TMP offers both male and female. I have seen comments that TMP mesh bodies are the best. On the other hand I have heard from clothing vendors that TMP is an abandoned project.  There will be no more development. Clothing is available for it, but clothing vendors I have talked to will not create anymore clothing for them due to weak demand.

The free versions of all the above come without applier layers, and without alpha HUD. This very much limits their clothing options. This does make sense though. Avatar vendors cannot afford to eliminate reasons to purchase there avatars. I view these as teasers that will make the user frustrated with their limitations, and want to purchase the fully capable versions.

Edited by agentronin
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, agentronin said:

I view these as teasers that will make the user frustrated with their limitations

More like demos that show you what they look like and how they move so you know what you are paying for with the full body.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2018 at 6:03 PM, agentronin said:

TMP is an abandoned project.  There will be no more development. Clothing is available for it, but clothing vendors I have talked to will not create anymore clothing for them due to weak demand.

This is correct. Sometimes you might find something new for TMP, but it's very rare now. 

Adding a little, importantly, the clothes that are TMP compatible will often not fully fit the free TMP bodies, many items will still need the HUD so you can alpha out sections. Hiding the back and arms for example needs to be done on most shirts/jackets. Likewise being able to hide the butt is needed for most jeans.

It's wiser to invest in the more modern shapes.

• Like 1

Mostly, exceptionnel for feet if u wish to stay barefeet, before spending linden for mesh avi, try to learn how to set ur shape apparence. U Can also fond very cheap shapes and skins that will enjoy u. If it Can be  nice to meet an astonishing mesh avi, i rather like to meet a hardworked avi with good mind than à plenty linden totally superficial one. 

On 2/6/2018 at 1:03 AM, agentronin said:

There are three vendors I know of that offer free mesh bodies:

Svetlana Eleonara
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/MA-Fitted-mesh-body-Free-version/6545785
She offers female only.

eBODY SHOP:
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Coral Island/225/171/2001
Female only.

TMP
http://slnewbie.com/2017/08/25/free-mesh-body-the-mesh-project/
TMP offers both male and female. I have seen comments that TMP mesh bodies are the best. On the other hand I have heard from clothing vendors that TMP is an abandoned project.  There will be no more development. Clothing is available for it, but clothing vendors I have talked to will not create anymore clothing for them due to weak demand.

The free versions of all the above come without applier layers, and without alpha HUD. This very much limits their clothing options. This does make sense though. Avatar vendors cannot afford to eliminate reasons to purchase there avatars. I view these as teasers that will make the user frustrated with their limitations, and want to purchase the fully capable versions.

The eBody mesh avatar bodies come in two versions, Classic and Curvy. Each are L$1 to buy from Ajuda SL Brasil's Freebies shop or from the eBody store.The Curvy body is new and there is not much clothing for it yet, but the Classic has been around for a while and you should be able to find clothing for it. Both dollarbie versions has "thick" alpha cuts on their included HUD (like, upper half of the arm, lower half of the arm, etc.). If you want finer control over alphas you'll need to buy the full version.

Altamura has a FREE full mesh avatar body and head all-in-one called Valentina, also available at the Freebie Store in Ajuda SL Brasil. (Look for a big red sign across from some gift boxes lying on the ground.) It's actually very nice, fully adjustable, and has a full set of alpha cuts so you can wear anything with it. Your best option right now is the free Valentina Altamura body and head. Note that the HUD that comes with the Valentina does NOT allow you to alpha out the head, so you 're stuck with it.

Both the eBody and the Altamura mesh avatar bodies have SLink-compatible feet so finding shoes to fit shouldn't be a problem. 

I'd stay away from TMP. The free model has no alphas, and there's not a lot of people making clothing for it any more. Also, TMP's sales model relies on you buying special credits, then spending those credits in their special sim. You always have some credits left over so it's not a good system at all. I hate it.

Edited by Vanity Fair

6 hours ago, LamyaeNeferati said:

Mostly, exceptionnel for feet if u wish to stay barefeet, before spending linden for mesh avi, try to learn how to set ur shape apparence. U Can also fond very cheap shapes and skins that will enjoy u. If it Can be  nice to meet an astonishing mesh avi, i rather like to meet a hardworked avi with good mind than à plenty linden totally superficial one. 

And again you are commenting as if the original poster is a newbie, whereas if you had bothered to check, their account is over a year old so they likely already know the basics of shape and skin.

SL is a mess.  There's too many starter avatars.  The classic ones, updated ones, mesh avatars, and bento avatars (i think).  All of these are very different than custom avatars made by designers.

None of them have appliers which are pretty much essential these days for skins, tattoos, and makeup.  Most popular designers don't waste time making clothing and items for them either because there's no dev kit.

Linden Lab could probably fix this mess if they released a dev kit as well as an applier system.  They are way behind the times.

I'm also curious why this was posted in the Adult section.

Edited by femhalf

20 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Additional note - from looking at the profile, I'd say the OP may be interested in a male mesh body.

Oops, sorry I didn't catch that. There is a nice free mesh avatar body and head for male avatars available from Altamura, it's called Aaron and it's available if you join the Teleport.hub group for only L$10. You have to pick it up before the end of April, 2018.

Altamura Aaron Bento Full Body