viewer crashes while initializing textures now

LibGwen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4750 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

The viewer froze today while walking through Adrasta's Tattoos.  The attempt to send a crash report froze.  So I restarted my computer, which refused to completely shut down and I ultimately had to resort to turning it off manually.  Now when I start up the viewer it can't even get as far as the login screen:  When it reaches "initializing textures" the hard drive grinds and grinds to no effect.  The viewer doesn't even register in Task Manager, but the filename in the menu bar can be closed (it says it's not responding).

What do I do now?

7 answers to this question

Sounds like a corrupt texture cache

Easily fixed by manually deleting your Cache

(XP) - C: - Documents and Settings - (USER NAME) - AppData - SecondLife
(Vista) - C: - Users - (USER NAME) - AppData - Local - SecondLife
(Win 7) - C: - Users - (USER NAME) - AppData - Roaming - SecondLife

Delete the contents of the folder and restart.

• Like 1

It is a usual problem. Happened to me also twice in past when i lost my net connection for some seconds. How i solved the problem?

1)Unistall the program removing ALL the files of it. During un-installing you will get a message asking for it. Accept it.

2)Turn off your computer and your router for 2 mins. I mean stop your net connection for a while

3)Turn on your router and after your computer.

4)Download again the program (last edition of Viewer 2 or Phoenix). Do NOT use the same .exe file you already have.

5)Re-intall and run the program.

Good luck

Being a less involved process than ye old uninstall-reinstall, I bit the bullet and did what you said. (Some of those folder names that get deleted are a bit nerve-wracking.) It fixed it, it works, and the only annoying thing was I had to make my adjustments to Preferences again.

Thanks!

Ugh, it did it again. Treasured Island this time. And this time deleting the Second Life folder doesn't make a bit of difference.

What should I do now?

Meanwhile, I'll be off researching alternative viewers...

What OS are you using? In Windows 7, the texture cache is not in AppData > Roaming > SecondLife, it's in AppData > Local > SecondLife. The Wiki article on clearing cache for Windows 7 is wrong. Deleting the Roaming > SecondLife folder deletes all your settings, chat logs and browser cache but not your texture cache. Alternatively clicking the Reset button in Preferences > Setup will delete the texture and object caches in AppData > Local > SecondLife.

Edited to correct errors (I should read over what I write before clicking Post)!

Thanks LoveAngel, but that did not work for me either. It is rather frustrating, neither Phoenix, nor Imprudence, . Only SL2 works, but it sucks so much that I'd rather not be on SL. It is so awkward to use and the graphics are awful.

Still looking for a resolution to this. I have followed all the instructions from SL's wiki, but nothing works. And I have met countless of people on SL who have the same problem, and are trying to survive using SL2, what a torture... :-(

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4750 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.