Gael Streeter

Attached prim size change and refresh problem

Hi all,

I repetitively change the size of an attached prim by script using the llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast(LINK_THIS, [PRIM_SIZE, mysize]); function and I have a problem of refreshing : the prim is not always displayed at the right current size and I need to right click on the prim to have it refreshed and displayed correctly.

Do you know this issue yet or is it a new one (I am using Firestorm 5.0.11 (53634).) ?

Is there a workaround I can use to oblige the viewer to refresh ?

Thank you in advance

If you are making only a very small change, it may not be large enough to trigger your viewer to render the object again. That's why you are having to trigger the re-rendering manually by clicking on it.  Try forcing it a different way, by changing some other property and then changing it back again. Change its color or transparency, for example, or display a transparent hover text for a second.  The change doesn't need to be drastic enough to be annoying -- or even one that you are aware of, like the transparent hover text -- but it's enough to make your graphics card re-render the object.

• Like 1

Thank you for your answer Rolig.

I made a loooooot of tests to try to workaround the problem : Change the color, the transparency,  the texture, the hover text, the position, the rotation...
I also tested with the official SL viewer.
Unfortunately nothing work! :(
The refresh is only made when I right click the object or if my avatar moves or if I give the focus to another program!

If I get the size of the object by script after the resize, it gives me the right size (and not the displayed one).
I suspect perhaps a rounding error of display...
I have 3 sizes :
vector MIN_SIZE = <0.01, 0.01, 0.01>;
vector RESET_SIZE = <0.04, 0.04, 0.04>;
vector MAX_SIZE = <0.075,0.075,0.075>;
If I go from MIN_SIZE to RESET_SIZE the object (a white eye ball) appears smaller than the real size:
image.png.0eb83691505996fc2cf36a7ab2224177.png
If I go from MAX_SIZE to RESET_SIZE the object (a white ball) appears bigger than the real size:
image.png.2ca05c7a2d9e09ebcaf21584bfa77b3f.png
Real size displayed after right clicked :
image.png.6a066b9afd67f44ab9bb46ad3e840300.png

Does someone know more about this ?

Edited by Gael Streeter

This does put a different light on things.  Your object is tiny. Its minimum size is, in fact, the minimum size for any object in SL and its Reset Size is not a lot bigger. Have you tested to see whether other people see the same size issue? Do you see it if you use a different computer?

I made a test looking at my main account with an alt account (on the same computer, on two screens) :
- The alt does not see the same as my main account.
- The alt has also a display problem but not exactly the same as the main account.
- Both can refresh their own display by right clicking the object.

I'm really guessing, but it feels like your graphics card is being asked to do a lot -- two logins, two screens, tiny object, small size changes -- and just isn't up to the task.  Instead of logging in both accounts on the same computer, is there any way you can test by logging one in on a laptop?

Completely different thought. ..... Do you see the same problem if you change the object's size with llScaleByFactor instead of using SLPPF?

The results are unfortunately the same with the llScaleByFactor ... :(

I am wondering if this is not a new display problem of SL because I just also noticed some weird display problems on one of my existing HUD (with tiny buttons) I never saw before : the buttons and the background texture do no appear exactly at the right place when I minimize and then maximize the HUD (buttons are moved and resized by script) :

image.png.3bf16a6eb89b30a40c0f7831d21f1770.png

And the display is also refreshed when I change the focus to another window or when I right click my avatar :

image.png.211140f969bdf4314dd85044af1b0dbb.png

(I tested on my laptop also and have the same results with this HUD.)