What's the point of adult rated land

iamyourneighbour

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2260 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As per topic. 

From a simple glance anyone can tell SL isn't the place that is sprouting with kids , teens and young adults like Penguin Club and that nothing is stopping you from rezzing adult rated products on a general land, so why do we have three tier ratings? Shouldn't we just reduce it to two and allow any land to be able to switch between moderate and adult ?

19 minutes ago, iamyourneighbour said:

As per topic. 

From a simple glance anyone can tell SL isn't the place that is sprouting with kids , teens and young adults like Penguin Club and that nothing is stopping you from rezzing adult rated products on a general land, so why do we have three tier ratings? Shouldn't we just reduce it to two and allow any land to be able to switch between moderate and adult ?

having adult content on PG, and open use of adult content at Moderate is AR-able, conforming the zoning it's not allowed to be there, or not allowed to be openly there.

The PG land is needed for safe access by underaged accounts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

As Alwin mentions - there might not be many underage people, but they do exist. Additionally there is a large contingent of people who live on PG land specifically to avoid sex.

There is even a PG only continent. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Loki/128/128/2

Lucky my first land wasn't there lol

• Haha 1

When SL started out there were still a lot of people who did not appreciate internetz prom in plain view all over that place. It had nothing to do with "kids" on the grid, they even had their grid called the Teen Grid, and yet they were supposed to be at least 13. Yes, yes, any of those could quickly sneak over to the main grid, but this isn't the point.

The original zones were G, PG, and Mature.

The idea was that G zones were supposed to remain completely clean; no nekked bodies in the open, no sex toys in the open, basically Mayberry R.F.D. - for those people who just didn't want to be faced with it. Also, Linden Tried very very hard to make SL business-friendly. This was another reason for the G zones, etc. It's been a long time, so I may be misremembering that the PG zones were okay for the "slu-tee" stuff. All nude even, as long as "pasties" were used. Yes, I know L.O.L.

Anyway, long time since then until now, lots of changes, lots of "rule-breaking' and so on. In fact, a lot of what the TOS even stipulates about what can and cannot happen on G versus PG versus Adult zones is not even enforceable and in some cases impossible.

In short, "PG" is mostly moot and it comes down to the line between G and Adult zones. And even all that is a moot point because everywhere you look, search, tour, explore internetz pron is all over the place. Even the LL Destination Guide will drop you willy-nilly into nude beaches advertising free SLex.

Go figure.

Edited by Alyona Su

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

It's been a long time, so I may be misremembering

I know that feeling -- and specifically about this subject, too. I recall the details a little differently, but I'm not all that confident of my recollection either, and it kinda matters because history is indeed a big part of how we ended up where we are now.

For whatever it's worth, I only recall  two categories on the main grid back then, PG and Mature, where PG was merely renamed "General" while Mature got split into "Moderate" and "Adult", with much dispute and inconsistency about what content was so irredeemable that it needed to be segregated to the Adult ghetto. (I kinda think the Teen Grid was also rated PG, and it kept the kiddies away from the corrupting influences of all us creepy old pervs. I vaguely recall that they raised the minimum age to 16 when they merged the Teen and main grids, but I'm not finding that documented now.)

Anyway, yeah, the rationale back then was to make the SL experience more "predictable" -- fewer phalli flying in front of VIP faces, for example. They surely also hoped to raise SL's reputation above the den-of-pr0n level some of us had worked so hard to cultivate.

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

For whatever it's worth, I only recall  two categories on the main grid back then, PG and Mature, where PG was merely renamed "General" while Mature got split into "Moderate" and "Adult", with much dispute and inconsistency about what content was so irredeemable that it needed to be segregated to the Adult ghetto. (I kinda think the Teen Grid was also rated PG, and it kept the kiddies away from the corrupting influences of all us creepy old pervs. I vaguely recall that they raised the minimum age to 16 when they merged the Teen and main grids, but I'm not finding that documented now.)

Oh, yes - I think you are correct! I started on TG - and it was G and very few regions were PG. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2260 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.