LoD models swapped inworld

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2238 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Something rather worrying happened today.

This is a hook for a hanging planter:

5a775377329fb_Skjermbilde(1022).thumb.png.0ed9abc90f0775bf585c4aa644f3be55.png

Yesterday it was 1 LI with a neglible download weight (less than 0.1). Today the download weight is 9. When I examined it, it turns out the lowest LoD model has been replaced by the medium one. It happened to all copies I have, both the two that were rezzed at my work platform and the one in my inventory and it happened after the mesh was uploaded.

Has anybody else experienced something similar? It's no big deal if it's a one-time incident but if we're going to have the land impacts of old meshes suddenly skyrocjketting at random, we're heading for serious trouble.

Oh, and since somebody is bound to ask: no, I did not mess up the dae files when I uploaded it. It's not actually possible to upload a mesh like this to Second Life so that's a no-brainer. Whatever happened, happened afterwards.

Edited by ChinRey

5 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

If so, I quit.

Oh yes, that would be the end of mesh in SL ;)

But data does get corrupted even in the best of systems and if nobody else have seen anything like it, we can wrte it off as a freak accident. Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

I did not mess up the dae files when I uploaded it. It's not actually possible to upload a mesh like this to Second Life

Medium Lod .dae file loaded into both Medium and Lowest LoD slot:

5a77708e327f6_MediuminLowestslot.thumb.PNG.0c77085239ec4d267393a10017a99f9e.PNG

5a7770a8ab961_MediuminLowestLoDslotrezzed.thumb.PNG.298c811066ad1173a723cdb02bafd8b2.PNG

The Uploader gives a little warning in both SL and Firestorm viewers but both upload ok. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Aquila Kytori said:

Medium Lod .dae file loaded into both Medium and Lowest LoD slot:

The Uploader gives a little warning in both SL and Firestorm viewers but both upload ok. :)

Oh. I stand corrected then.

16 minutes ago, mikka Luik said:

Is this new behaviour?

No. I tried with an old version of Singularity as well as a fairly new Firestorm version. The upload button seems to be greyed out for longer than usual but it does evenutally become active.

This can actually be useful. The way the uploader plits vertices I sometimes end up with more of them on a lower model than on a higher one. I didn't know I could still upload it.

I didn't have THIS issue yesterday but I had other major issues and while the models were fine on both the Aditi and Agni the end result so far as land impact and cost was definitely different. In Firestorm  inworld they show as exactly the same using our new features, but I "paid" a bit higher LI and lindens. Again, didn't think too much about it as it has happened often to me, but ----

OK, Sit down now.

I actually made  LODs for this big model as it was "organic" and not what I normally do.  Making the custom LODs was a very good thing in this case (and in a couple of others today) as again, very organic (won't show as I think Fantasy Faire is supposed to be secret LOL). 

Anyway even using the exact same files WITH my own custom LODs I ended up with a higher land impact and cost on Agni than I did on Aditi.  I had previously thought that the Aditi uploader and the Agni uploader just weren't in agreement on things when THEY figured out the LOD models. That doesn't appear to be the case. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

To me, for the way the LOD numbers are, 8 LI is just too high.

Edit: This object is for sale in the current Fameshed if the more knowledgeable wish to check.

Smells like an issue with the new Firestorm viewer. This thing on the picture has 39.752 triangles in it's High LOD. 8 LI seems kinda low for that number, and indeed, it's lowest LOd has just 19 spikey triangles all over the place.

• Thanks 1

heh, European 39.752,5 formatted numbers can be confusing unless you realise from context, I didnt this time, also thinking 39

Arton, was that the whole display? I had edited a link part - just the outhouse - so I was looking at it alone.

Edited by Callum Meriman

Just now, Callum Meriman said:

Arton, was that the whole display? I had edited a link part - just the outhouse - so I was looking at it alone.

Yeah me too. Just the outhouse alone.

Man, I'm glad I don't participate in these "popular" events. I certainly don't want to be inline with such ... errr... objects.

If you enable, under the Develop Menu,  Show Info > Show Render Info, and select an object or just a link of an object, the display on the right (near the bottom) shows the exact triangle count for that piece (kTris), in it's current displayed LOD. So in some cases you will have to zoom right in the middle to catch all High LODs of a linkset.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

but doesn’t the picture show the selection as having a high LOD of two??

That's why it smells like an issue with the latest Firestorm viewer. Which I don't use myself, so I can't check myself.

Edited by arton Rotaru

Soooo. I was checking another issue and noticed when I took this screenshot that I had something similar to what you are talking about. It is not on MY mesh, but one from awhile back from a good but "primmy" mesh maker. I have no idea why this is the first item I have seen like this and why it is different than "my" stuff.

I went around and inspected via our new tools some other things not made by me and while I found no other instance of this issue I am feeling pretty damn virtuous  about my low number of tris. Some took my breath away.  Oh my, I am wiser now :D.

Anyway here is my screenshot. This is NOT new mesh so it doesn't seem to have anything to do with any changes in the uploader. Perhaps something that now and then in the new tools gone amiss?  No clue, but here is my screenshot.

And as I pasted this in I had a thought. Maybe the "2" is for the shadow prim and then the bigger number is for some other part of the mesh?   

I tried again and could NOT reproduce the issue shown. Later the info came up as "2" for the shadow prim and everything was as it should be. Clicking on the various parts I got descending (if breathtakingly high) numbers.  I will reassess my "good" comment and replace with "pretty" LOL.  Second photo below first. 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=e5f5edf17e7ad1aacigarettes.thumb.PNG.51ceb3955eb1870bb9f6e2d4d4212cd6.PNG

5a792ec30ef04_cigarettes2.thumb.PNG.6541f8be877e319344ea5a2015bae4d1.PNG

Edited by Chic Aeon

OK I want to make one more comment because I am feeling fairly disillusioned right now.  After going around and looking at the objects I have rezzed that are not mine and seeing their vertices count I am not a happy camper. The LODS are fine but OMG the numbers are astronomical and these are some of the best selling and most high profile H and G folks on the grid. 

I am far from perfect but I do very much pay attention to my vertices count and if I get up to 3000 on something complex I kinda shudder, but my head is shaking here and I need to take a step back and reassess "my position" a bit --- not as creator but as blogger. 

So one more kudos for the new tools which are definitely eye openers for those that care to use them.

/me walks away quietly in a fairly grumpy mood shaking head and wondering what to do about all of this

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

OK I want to make one more comment because I am feeling fairly disillusioned right now.  After going around and looking at the objects I have rezzed that are not mine and seeing their vertices count I am not a happy camper. The LODS are fine but OMG the numbers are astronomical

I don't usually do "told-you-sos" but this is a special case.

It's only two weeks since I started this thread, trying to bring some attention to the problem:

I had to give up on that thread - it was the first time I've ever been personally attacked off-thread because of something I've posted here.

18 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

and these are some of the best selling and most high profile H and G folks on the grid.

Yes. Does that come as a surprise?

6 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Yes. Does that come as a surprise?

Actually yes it does :D.   

Personally I think we need BOTH low poly, good LOD mesh AND lovely textures. One or the other isn't enough. I don't have Maya and wont so I will never make those gorgeous buttery textures that it can produce. I can only do what I can do and be happy that I can do that much. 

2 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

As long as there’s a market for something, people are going to sell it. And there clearly is a market for things that require an LOD factor of four

My comment wasn't about LOD. The LODs are GOOD. I have been checking those for a couple of year. It is the POLY count that is astronomical.   

What REALLY boggles my mind -- and I have said this before -- is that KNOWING the mistakes they may with "free will and the uploader", The Lab repeated it mistakes with Sansar (hence the half an hour downloads) when they could easily have put safeguards in place like we had at Cloud Party. If I was there now -- knowing what I know four years later, I could make some pretty spectacular stuff that streams easily over the internet (and that was with download speeds of four years ago).

But things are what they are. I just have to think on if I want to keep featuring "heavy" mesh. I have almost 5000 post on my main blog. Maybe it is time to take a rest. 

No decisions need to be made today. 

Maybe I can just go be a pole dancer --- but I guess that would be disillusioning also LOL. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2238 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.