How to report when unable to log in?

LylaBug

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2272 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am a new avatar, and when I try to log in at my "home" which is also my last login location. The Social Island 4. I can not, log in because someone is griefing the area and harassing people. 

Their complexity went from normal to 8 million, crashing me so many times my brand new laptop has over heated twice. 

How do I report this? All the report form choices are not having an option for that from the web. 

<Removed>

Edited by Kristin Linden
Removed Screenshots containing Resi Names

3 answers to this question

• Administrators

Hey there LylaBug!

I've edited your post to remove the screenshots as they contain the names of other Residents. 

If you are unable to log back into the region where the griefing is occurring, you can submit a report from a region that you are able to enter.  You can also choose a different region to log into by typing it into the viewer. Just be sure to include the name of the region where the incident is happening so that we know where to look :) 

In-world Abuse issues are not handled through Support Cases, so if you submit one through a case you will be redirected to file an Abuse Report.

For more information on Abuse Reports, please read our Guide to Filing an Abuse Report in the Second Life Knowledge Base:
http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Filing-an-abuse-report/ta-p/700065

• Like 3

Hi Lyla, and welcome to Second Life.  I'm sorry your early SL experience has been tainted by an experience with griefing.  The griefer you're being troubled by is using a "graphics crasher", an item of extremely high complexity that's intended to do just what you experienced...it overloads your graphics card and dumps you out of Second Life.

Besides filing an Abuse Report (from the viewer in world, click Help/Report Abuse), there are many things you can do yourself...no need to wait for LL to take action.

Now that you've reached Social Island, you can go anywhere in Second Life, a world of over 20,000 regions, each the size of the Social Island you're familiar with.  Instead of logging in to Home or Last Location, try logging in to a different location by entering it on the login screen.  Here are some you can try:

• Social Island X, where X is any single digit integer from 1 to 8 (but don't use 4).  There are actually several identical copies of Social Island.
  • Caledon Oxbridge University
  • New Resident Island

As soon as you can, set a Home position that's different from Social Island.  As you have found, Social Island is often subject to griefers, pranksters, and undesirables who like to prey on newcomers.  You can set Home on any land that you own, or that's owned by a group that you belong to, or public land owned by "Governor Linden".  Set Home by going to the World menu and choosing Set Home to Here.

If you know the name of the griefer, find his Profile in Search, then click the Block button in the profile.  This will mute the griefer and prevent you from seeing his crasher.

In Me/Preferences, click the Graphics tab, open the Advanced graphics window, and change the Complexity slider to anything other than "Unlimited".  This will prevent you from seeing avatars with a complexity higher than about 350,000.  For more on Complexity, see this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxWrqd0o3dc

I teach a class on Avatar Safety on Sundays (today!) at 10 am SL Time (Pacific Time, USA west coast) at Caledon Oxbridge University.  It's free to attend...maybe I'll see you there!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, LylaBug said:

I am a new avatar, and when I try to log in at my "home" which is also my last login location. The Social Island 4. I can not, log in because someone is griefing the area and harassing people. 

Their complexity went from normal to 8 million, crashing me so many times my brand new laptop has over heated twice. 

How do I report this? All the report form choices are not having an option for that from the web. 

<Removed>

You can submit a support ticket here:  https://support.secondlife.com/create-case/

Go to your Prefrences, Graphics tab and reduce your Avatar Complexity setting down from 'unlimited'.  That will keep others from crashing you. 

Then do some searching, here and inworld, and find a location other than one of the Social Islands to use for Home.  A region to log in to if you can't get to your home is Pooley.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2272 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.