A popular event that only lasts 2 weeks, in-world only, with a parcel limit of 40

Suki Hirano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Like @Marianne Little my goal is to get in and out as quickly as possible. Landing in a central location doesn't help me do that. The problem gets worse the larger the event is, and even more problematic when a map wasn't provided.

17 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I don't think customers who like to walk around and look at all the event offer, will stop doing that even if an event allows you to teleport directly to the store from a list.

I don't think it would either, and honestly its something that everyone should be in favor of because it would help traffic flow. The only events where I could see this not being viable would be in the case of profit sharing events like Arcade, or if an event holder charges a premium for specific plots at the event for more visibility (advertisement). In those cases, I'd even settle for an arrow to show me where the store is.

Edited by Chase01
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

A-NO you do not count as a space when you log off.

I'm trying to imagine how SL would have looked we actually did. There are millions of accounts who have logged off over the years.

5 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

Ah... thanks!  That confirms my thoughts that a region limit of 40 isn't ridiculous, but is probably a limit wisely chosen by the event region owner. 

A friend of mine runs two beach sims in SL. They are both homesteads and often filled to capacity.  I once asked him why he didn't change them to full sims to allow more visitors and he told me he would never ever do that again.

Edited by ChinRey

Private sims can allow more than 40 but with the vendor scripts and avis, much higher than 40, everything takes forever to work.

Most popular events are listed on the Seraphim site with galleries that show you what's available so you know whether there is anything you really want. Also, most events, including popular ones like The Epiphany or the Hair Fair, the second week, the sims are usually just about empty. I always wait until the second week for that reason.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Bobbie Faulds said:

Private sims can allow more than 40 but with the vendor scripts and avis, much higher than 40, everything takes forever to work.

Most popular events are listed on the Seraphim site with galleries that show you what's available so you know whether there is anything you really want. Also, most events, including popular ones like The Epiphany or the Hair Fair, the second week, the sims are usually just about empty. I always wait until the second week for that reason.

But Bobbie, the OP has said she is not the sort to wait and for us to “deal with it”. I just hope you can. xD

• Haha 4

50 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

But Bobbie, the OP has said she is not the sort to wait and for us to “deal with it”. I just hope you can. xD

And furthermore, everything should be run to suit her demands. Cause she can't cope with having a 3 month old iPhone and her av is older than Tari's.

It's impeccable logic you know. :)

• Haha 7

On 2/4/2018 at 4:49 PM, Suki Hirano said:

A - Um yes offlines DO take up a space. Why do you think the parcel shows like 43 people sometimes when the limit is clearly 40 when those offlines log back on? Do you think people can get in when there are 43 people? No it means those bums who log off inside the sim gotta log back in and get out before someone else can get in, hence taking up a spot. Do you know how placeholders work? Clearly you don't. Also did you read the part where I clearly said I used an auto-teleporter for 24 hours? How many hours does a day have? Now explain to me how it doesn't make sense to say "the daily entry limit is 40", because no one fricking leaves the sim once they go in. Lol I don't know about avatar limit? Yeah right sure, I think I have a couple times more experience in SL than you. Might want to check your facts before you try to blindly defend something. Are you perhaps one of the organizers or such event?

B- How about collaborate with LL on making a microsite within marketplace or separate altogether, since LL already has an events microsite? I'm exposing something that is extremely primitive and backwards for an online sim in the year 2018. It's already nearly unacceptable for MMORPG's to even have login queues nowadays, you think there aren't any ways to get around a ridiculous 40 avatar limit in the biggest virtual sim in the world? And what's wrong with marketplace events, especially since a lot of stores have done so in the past? Who actually wants to bear the stupid lag in an inworld event with 39 other people moving at the speed of a turtle and taking half an hour to rez everything? It's a frickin online sim. That would be like Amazon hosting an in-world only event at one of their warehouses

C- Re-read the part where I literally said "yes you can enter in like the last 2 days of the event, which defeats the purpose of an event". Hey if you're one of those people who don't mind getting an iPhone or Galaxy 3 months after it's out then good for you? There are actually people like me (as well as a few hundred million others in RL and probably countless in SL as well) who LIKES keeping up with fashion and technology, deal with it. You think bloggers will get to do what they do if they blog about something in SL 2 weeks after it opens? Lol grow up

Ummmm, NO, they DON'T! This MAY have been the case back in the day when ghosting was more common, not sure about that, mayber someone can chime in on that (mayber??? EHRMEGERD!) Just because you've been around a while doesn't mean you have a CLUE as to how things work!!! My main is over 10 years old, and is actually my second avie, so I've been around a LOT longer than you, doesn't mean I understand how everything works. You really need to work on your *****ty attitude. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Aislin Ceawlin said:

Ummmm, NO, they DON'T! This MAY have been the case back in the day when ghosting was more common, 

When ghosting was a thing that certainly would have been the case now when you log off if you log off successfully there's no presence to occupy a sim place and if you try to log in to a crowded (full) unavailable or restarting sim you are redirected to somewhere like a safe hub or info hub

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

When ghosting was a thing that certainly would have been the case now when you log off if you log off successfully there's no presence to occupy a sim place and if you try to log in to a crowded (full) unavailable or restarting sim you are redirected to somewhere like a safe hub or info hub

That's not always true Claireschen, I have gotten into a crowded event, nothing was loading, so I would log off and come right back to the event that I logged out of.

17 minutes ago, anniepany said:

That's not always true Claireschen, I have gotten into a crowded event, nothing was loading, so I would log off and come right back to the event that I logged out of.

If the region is full(including the premium perk extra allowance) you cannot get right back in to the same event. If you DO get right back in to the same event, either the region is not full, or you have premium and the premium perk extra avatar allowance has not been met yet. So, yes, it is always true. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

either the region is not full, or you have premium and the premium perk extra avatar allowance has not been met yet. So, yes, it is always true. 

This has nothing to do with events but just for the sake of completeness, there is one more way to "sneak in the queue" and get into a sim that is full: set your home there. You can always teleport to and log in to your home location even if the region is filled to capacity.

For those who still believe there are "placeholders" for logged off alts, here is a very simple test: meet up with a friend or an alt somewhere, get them to log off and see if they still show up on the map.

1 hour ago, anniepany said:

Even with all that being said, I wouldn't actually completely rule out that you are right. This is pure speculation but if the simulator is heavily loaded or slowed down for some other reason, could it be possible to log back on before it had time to register that you had left? I don't think so but I'm not absolutely sure. In any case, it if is possible, it could only happen under very unusual circumastances and you'd have to log back in within seconds after you left.

Edited by ChinRey

I have been DC'd at tons of events and was able to log back in at the event without issue as a non premium member. On a few occasions I had also taken the time to reboot before logging back in and had no problems. So Chin may be right, the delay in registering that the user had left may be the culprit there, or there is some inherit mechanism built in that holds the place of that user for a short period of time.

Edited by Chase01

I think an actual crash or disconnect or such, might take a short bit for SL to register it.  That would be why we sometimes get that message when we try to log in saying we can't log in for nn minutes.  

However, if you cleanly log out, I'd think the sim will know right away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chase01 said:

or there is some inherit mechanism built in that holds the place of that user for a short period of time.

There isn't, we can be absolutely sure of that. But I've seen the stats from one of those events and as a friend of mine said, that server was dead, it just hadn't noticed yet. Stranger things than that can happen in the twilight zone where the undead servers lurk.

Edited by ChinRey

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

This has nothing to do with events but just for the sake of completeness, there is one more way to "sneak in the queue" and get into a sim that is full: set your home there. You can always teleport to and log in to your home location even if the region is filled to capacity.

This hasn't always been the case. I rented a place a couple years ago that was kinda busy most of the time (other renters, a couple shops). Then a club (no longer exists, lol) moved in. They had quite a few "busy" nights for the first couple of weeks, when couldn't tp back to my home because the region was full.  I'd have to either wait for someone to leave the region, or im someone at the club to ask a staff member to leave just so I could get home-which they didn't take too kindly. 

I really hope they have since changed this, it was extremely obnoxious, and I know it's been a problem on quite a few occasions. 

• Like 1

Here's the real problem everyone stands around trying on demo's and they hog the sim's resources for hours making the place their own personal dressing room. What needs to be done to get more people in and out and make more sales the event people need to tell the vendors that there demo's be placed in a box that has to be rezzed out and unpacked. People can get there demo's go home try stuff on in a lag free environment and then come back and get what they want. IMO

1 hour ago, Gunner Grun said:

People can get there demo's go home try stuff on in a lag free environment and then come back and get what they want. IMO

Delay while trying on demos does add to the avatar count, for sure, but under the worst conditions anybody who goes home can't reliably get back into the sim to buy. In those cases, there's huge incentive to try it on and decide whether to buy during the same visit the demo was obtained -- especially when the item is exclusively available at that crowded event.

So the more crowded the event becomes, the more reason for folks to stick around, so the more crowded the event becomes... -- the very opposite of scalability.

A similar vicious scaling cycle: the laggier it gets, the longer it takes to shop, so the more people in the sim shopping, so the laggier it gets...

But in practice, both effects hit a ceiling as the shopping activity gets so miserable that folks just give up until later when it's not so busy.

As Yogi Berra said: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.