I just read a new thread about two new features for Sansar, and a thought occured to me...

From what I've understood in the past, Sansar is the background system in which various 'experiences' run, rather similar to, say, Windows being the background system in which various programmes/applications run. We talk about the programmes, browsers for instance, without referring to the background system in which they run, so why are we still not talking about 'experiences' instead of talking about the background system (Sansar)? Don't any suitably attractive ones exist yet?Is it still too early for anything worthwhile to have been created?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

... why are we still not talking about 'experiences' instead of talking about the background system (Sansar)? Don't any suitably attractive ones exist yet?Is it still too early for anything worthwhile to have been created?

There are scenery eye candy, to walk about and stare at. But besides that, so far there is absolutely nothing interesting to do in the experiences (except for creators).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

There are scenery eye candy, to walk about and stare at. But besides that, so far there is absolutely nothing interesting to do in the experiences (except for creators).

How much time have you actually spent in Sansar? We do lots of fun things there and there are many experiences with things to do. Yes, I'm a creator but I'm not just a creator. I love the social aspect of it as well. Plus we have non creators there having fun too. Truth is many say the same exact things about SL. They log in once and say there's nothing to do here and log out. I have many gaming friends who have come to visit SL once and then never came back. Sansar just like SL is what YOU make of it.

5 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

How much time have you actually spent in Sansar? We do lots of fun things there and there are many experiences with things to do. Yes, I'm a creator but I'm not just a creator. I love the social aspect of it as well. Plus we have non creators there having fun too. Truth is many say the same exact things about SL. They log in once and say there's nothing to do here and log out. I have many gaming friends who have come to visit SL once and then never came back. Sansar just like SL is what YOU make of it.

Where is "there", Blush. There is nothing to do in Sansar, because Sansar is merely the system in which 'experiences' run. And that's my point. Why is nobody talking about the 'experiences'? Why are we, and you, still talking about the operating system. You can't have fun in an operating system.

Or perhaps I've got it wrong. Perhaps the operating system (Sansar) includes the gateway to various 'experiences' from which to choose when you're at the gateway. But, even so, what 'experiences'? Why aren't we hearing about any? Even you haven't mentioned where you, and the non-creators you mentioned, have fun, and you appear to be a big supporter.

I'm just thinking that, by now, we should be hearing about some enjoyable, stand-alone environments, and less about the operating system in which they run. Places/environments that are good enough to stand on their own, like SL does, albeit in a smaller way than SL. Is it still too soon for that?

Edited by Phil Deakins

7 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I would be very interested to know exactly in what experiences you can have fun activities as a general user (non-creator) and on desktop mode.
Please give some experience names for fun activities so I will have a look. Maybe I have missed something in my previous visits?

What can you do there? Instead of just standing, running, looking at things, chatting with people (chatting can be fun for sure, but there must be more activities).

5 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Where is "there", Blush. There is nothing to do in Sansar, because Sansar is merely the system in which 'experiences' run. And that's my point. Why is nobody talking about the 'experiences'? Why are we, and you, still talking about the operating system. You can't have fun in an operating system.

Or perhaps I've got it wrong. Perhaps the operating system (Sansar) includes the gateway to various 'experiences' from which to choose when you're at the gateway. But, even so, what 'experiences'? Why aren't we hearing about any? Even you haven't mentioned where you, and the non-creators you mentioned, have fun, and you appear to be a big supporter.

I'm just thinking that, by now, we should be hearing about some enjoyable, stand-alone environments, and less about the operating system in which they run. Places/environments that are good enough to stand on their own, like SL does, albeit in a smaller way than SL. Is it still too soon for that?

2 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

I would be very interested to know exactly in what experiences you can have fun activities as a general user (non-creator) and on desktop mode.
Please give some experience names for fun activities so I will have a look. Maybe I have missed something in my previous visits?

What can you do there? Instead of just standing, running, looking at things, chatting with people (chatting can be fun for sure, but there must be more activities).

I'll give you a short list starting with my own. https://atlas.sansar.com/experiences/debibaskerville/scavenger-hunt-park-wip is my amusement park .. still a work in progress. But here you can bring a friend or group of friends and play the scavenger hunt, or spend time at the dunking booth dropping your friends into a can of worms, or travel out to the gulch and race your friends to see who can find all the ore first. 

You can also go here: https://atlas.sansar.com/experiences/galen/hoverpark with friends for a very fast paced spin on the hoverboards.

You can socialize with lots of people at various experiences by attending one of the daily meetups with Sansarians by checking the events on the Atlas. 

You can join Draxtor and Strawberry on Saturdays for Atlas Hopping. Here is a link to Berry's Atlas Hopping Playlist. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05ha13O26bo&list=PL-kRkWUM2Q4mtS6WiaGoal4AMVDVqBYm5.

This is just my take on some fun things I like to do that have nothing to do with creating in Sansar. I hope it gives you some ideas on things you can do in Sansar. 

Now, I'd like to ask you. What is it that you do in SL, other than adult rated activities, that you find so engaging that you can't do in Sansar? What are you really wanting to see in Sansar? As a creator, I want to make things people want to use or enjoy. So give us some ideas.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Now, I'd like to ask you. What is it that you do in SL, other than adult rated activities, that you find so engaging that you can't do in Sansar? What are you really wanting to see in Sansar? As a creator, I want to make things people want to use or enjoy. So give us some ideas.

These are some of my main interests what I love to do in SL. I wish those were available in Sansar too:

• Exploring places,  I love places and beaches where there are some activities available, for example:
- - sailing
- - surfing
- - swimming
- - flying air crafts
- - driving vehicles
• Dancing is fun (single and couple)
• I often go to live concerts and other shows
• Tweaking my avatar and dressing up nicely. One major occupation what I love! xD
• Editing things what I have bought
• Photography
• Shopping - inworld and Marketplace
• Meeting friends and other interesting people

In Sansar I would like also to:
• Have smooth controls for avatar movement (like it is in SL)
• Have smooth excellent camera controlling (like it is in SL)
Those are very clumsy and limited in Sansar in desktop mode.
• And: To be able to sit sometimes :/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Or perhaps I've got it wrong. Perhaps the operating system (Sansar) includes the gateway to various 'experiences' from which to choose when you're at the gateway. But, even so, what 'experiences'? Why aren't we hearing about any?

I guess most people when they speak (including me) about "Sansar" they mean the whole thing, the "underlying operating system" plus the experiences which are run by the system.

So in general, Sansar is not just the operating system (engine) which run the experiences.
It is both together: The system and the experiences = Sansar
This is how I see it.

You login first to Sansar. An atlas is presented to you. There you select in which experience you want to visit.
You can think of an experience to be a bit similar like an isolated non-connected region is in Second Life.

3 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

These are some of my main interests what I love to do in SL. I wish those were available in Sansar too:

• Exploring places,  I love places and beaches where there are some activities available, for example:
- - sailing
- - surfing
- - swimming
- - flying air crafts
- - driving vehicles

These all require physics and scripting, both of which are still being implemented. So it's coming just not yet. Stay tuned! :)

• Dancing is fun (single and couple)
• I often go to live concerts and other shows

These are both two of my favorite things to do in SL. There have been a few live concerts in Sansar, but not nearly as many as I'd like to see. I think once the dances get implemented we'll see more live entertainment in Sansar. By the way, Lindens are currently working on a set of key stroke triggered animations/gestures for our avatars. 

• Tweaking my avatar and dressing up nicely. One major occupation what I love! xD

Mine too! Everyday the selection in the store grows. It's exciting to see some of my favorite creators in SL starting to list things in the Sansar store. I'm looking forward to seeing more and more of those.

• Editing things what I have bought

Editing purchased items is limited in Sansar. You can't tint clothing or avatar attachments; however, you do have the option to tint purchased home and garden items in your scene. There are creators who are placing "kit bashing" type items in the store. So you can buy those, tint them, arrange them in your experience.

• Photography

This is one area I believe Sansar far exceeds what is available in SL.  The sheer volume of amazing locals for photo shoots is hard to beat; however, you don't begin to have the photo tools available such as in the Firestorm viewer. Ebbe was just saying yesterday during the Atlas Hopping that Sansar needs more photo tools so it's in their cross hairs for improvement.

• Shopping - inworld and Marketplace
• Meeting friends and other interesting people

The community is still small in Sansar and I love that. I want Sansar to grow but it will come at a cost. So I am torn. I love the tight knit group of friends I've made in Sansar. Honestly, I think I've made more friends in Sansar in the few months I've been there than I have in SL in the years I've been there. Sure I have many, many acquaintances in SL, and a few super close tight friends in SL, but in my months in Sansar I've made some really amazing friendships that have deepened in such a short time that it amazes me. 

In Sansar I would like also to:
• Have smooth controls for avatar movement (like it is in SL) 

We all do! And we keep stressing the importance of this in the product meetings. It's coming!

• Have smooth excellent camera controlling (like it is in SL)

Those are very clumsy and limited in Sansar in desktop mode.

I only use desktop mode. I switch between 3rd person (f3) and free cam (f4) a lot. I really can do just about anything with my cam in Sansar as I can do in SL. In free cam mode be sure to use the "+" and "-" to control the speed of your camera.

• And: To be able to sit sometimes :/

We'll be able to ground sit pretty quickly along with a few other keystroke triggered animations. I think keystroke. It might be an icon you hit on the dash. Not sure yet .. but it's coming.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

For me, Sansar is a gateway to any number of VR experiences. Linden Lab has provided the tool set to create those experiences and avatar customization items such as clothing and attachments. It is up to the creators using the tools provided by Linden Lab to do the creating. Of course we are only as good as the tools put into our hands. So we rely on Linden Lab to fine tune those tools and provide tools we find lacking at the moment. 

So when offering construction criticism in regards to all things Sansar, I believe the criticism of the toolset goes to Linden Lab and the criticism of the experience contents goes to the creators, remembering that our tools are still in beta format. I love what I have to work with so far, does that mean I'm happy with it if it was in it's final form? Of course not, but that's the exciting part for me. It's not in it's final form yet,  and I get to be part of the group of people who test and make suggestions on how to improve the product. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

1. I don't do "adult rated activities" in SL.

2. Most of the time I'm in SL, I'm scripting - just for the pleasure of doing it these day.

3. I don't have any ideas about what I'd like to see in Sansar. That's for those who create the 'experiences' to come up with. Then, if any appeal to me, I may use them. I'm not looking for anywhere else to spend time in. It's up to experience creators to come up with things that appeal and make me want to try them.

4. Judging solely on the last sentence of the last paragraph, I would think that experience creators ought to have a desire to create something specific before even acquring an area. That may be more for the future, though, and unfair for the present.

19 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I'll give you a short list starting with my own. https://atlas.sansar.com/experiences/debibaskerville/scavenger-hunt-park-wip is my amusement park .. still a work in progress. But here you can bring a friend or group of friends and play the scavenger hunt, or spend time at the dunking booth dropping your friends into a can of worms, or travel out to the gulch and race your friends to see who can find all the ore first.

[and the rest]

There you go. Now you're talking about an experience, and not about the operating system. That's what I posted this thread about.

Does it have a name? Is it ready for users? If it is, then plug it.

21 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

As a creator, I want to make things people want to use or enjoy.

Me too but I don't want to make monuments over my own "genius", I want my works to be a part of a bigger whole - far bigger and more varied than a single person can possibly manage on their own.

3D models are cheap and easy to come by these days, there are plenty of platforms for people to show off their works to their friends and followers and if you think anybody is going to draw huge flocks of strangers to their Sansar experience only because of its brilliant design, think again.

Context is much harder to find. It's extremely rare in Second Life too of course but I can't think of any other current platform where it is even possible.

Oh, and I also need to make some sort of income from my builds. I spend far more time on them than I can afford.

4 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

3. I don't have any ideas about what I'd like to see in Sansar. That's for those who create the 'experiences' to come up with. Then, if any appeal to me, I may use them. I'm not looking for anywhere else to spend time in. It's up to experience creators to come up with things that appeal and make me want to try them.

4. Judging solely on the last sentence of the last paragraph, I would think that experience creators ought to have a desire to create something specific before even acquring an area. That may be more for the future, though, and unfair for the present.

There you go. Now you're talking about an experience, and not about the operating system. That's what I posted this thread about.

Does it have a name? Is it ready for users? If it is, then plug it.

I wasn't asking because I have any lack of ideas. My problem is I have too many ideas of what I want to do. The reason I asked is because I hear so many saying there's nothing to do in Sansar, I find that not to be the case at all, but I wondered then what is it that people want or expect to do in Sansar. That's why I asked.

My experience is called Scavenger Hunt Park. If you click on the link I provided you get a taxi to the park. After posting yesterday, I was thinking that perhaps a thread with links to our experiences with a description of what you can do in the experiences would be a good idea. So I'm going to bring that up in today's community meetup.

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

Me too but I don't want to make monuments over my own "genius", I want my works to be a part of a bigger whole - far bigger and more varied than a single person can possibly manage on their own.

3D models are cheap and easy to come by these days, there are plenty of platforms for people to show off their works to their friends and followers and if you think anybody is going to draw huge flocks of strangers to their Sansar experience only because of its brilliant design, think again.

Context is much harder to find. It's extremely rare in Second Life too of course but I can't think of any other current platform where it is even possible.

Oh, and I also need to make some sort of income from my builds. I spend far more time on them than I can afford.

In my years here in SL, I've rarely collaborated with other creators to produce anything; however, in Sansar that's not been the case. I too want to be part of a bigger idea .. a bigger experience and perhaps that's the biggest draw for me in Sansar. I think the whole point of Sansar is context. That's what an experience ultimately wants to be. 3D modeling is fun for me but it's certainly only one means to an end. I want my experiences to tell a story and I want my visitors to be a very active part of that story. And, I know I can't do it by myself. I need others who will put their heads and talents together to create far more engaging activities than what is possible working alone.

Could  I do that in SL, certainly, but I don't want to. I find the work flow in Sansar to be much easier with superior results. I don't have an old clunker of a computer but it's not a new speedy model either and yet I have better performance in Sansar than I do in SL. 

19 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I wasn't asking because I have any lack of ideas. My problem is I have too many ideas of what I want to do. The reason I asked is because I hear so many saying there's nothing to do in Sansar, I find that not to be the case at all, but I wondered then what is it that people want or expect to do in Sansar. That's why I asked.

My experience is called Scavenger Hunt Park. If you click on the link I provided you get a taxi to the park. After posting yesterday, I was thinking that perhaps a thread with links to our experiences with a description of what you can do in the experiences would be a good idea. So I'm going to bring that up in today's community meetup.

My question in the op was why are we still talking about Sansar, which is pretty much merely the operating system, instead of talking about worlds/experiences that are using it to run? The reason I asked is because my understanding has been that independant worlds, which LL calls experiences, are what LL designed Sansar for. If there's a new world out there, I don't want to know about the system it runs in. I want to know about the new world, because it might interest me. But we haven't been hearing anything like that. Perhaps, as I suggested, it's still too early for any significant worlds to have been developed. Perhaps it's way too early. Perhaps it will never happen. Perhaps it will turn out to be small experiences, probably better than can be done with an SL sim or two, but small just the same. Or perhaps my understanding has been wrong all along.

I don't want put anything or anyone down, because a lot of hobby time, effort, emotions go into what people like you are doing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

My question in the op was why are we still talking about Sansar, which is pretty much merely the operating system, instead of talking about worlds/experiences that are using it to run? The reason I asked is because my understanding has been that independant worlds, which LL calls experiences, are what LL designed Sansar for. If there's a new world out there, I don't want to know about the system it runs in. I want to know about the new world, because it might interest me. But we haven't been hearing anything like that. Perhaps, as I suggested, it's still too early for any significant worlds to have been developed. Perhaps it's way too early. Perhaps it will never happen. Perhaps it will turn out to be small experiences, probably better than can be done with an SL sim or two, but small just the same. Or perhaps my understanding has been wrong all along.

I don't want put anything or anyone down, because a lot of hobby time, effort, emotions go into what people like you are doing.

If you're thinking of an experience equaling a world as in SL mainland then no, that's not what Sansar is. If you are thinking of world as in SL private estates where you use TP to jump from area to area .. then perhaps that's closer. Honestly, I think it really depends on what the creator wants to create with their experiences. I don't have any desire to create a world with my experiences. For me, mine are either going to be destinations, like my amusement park, or more likely chapters in a story where one experience links to another and as the visitor travels between the experiences the story unfolds and possibly changes depending on the choices the visitor makes. But that's my vision, it's certainly not the vision of most. We've been given a pallet in Sansar, much like we were given in SL, only the pallet has more colors and more brushes to work with, and within a relatively short period of time, we'll have many many more tools. It's really in the imagination of the creator to turn an experience into whatever that creator desires. For some, like me, it's more of a hobby (though I do use the money I make for RL and now that I'm retired it is money I need rather than just extra spending money.), but for others it's their RL income so their motivations and requirements are different.

I don't think of Sansar as an operating system, far from it. To me Sansar is .... hmmmm .. what? Well, maybe it's like my Iphone with lots of apps. I turn to my phone to link me to things I need or want. I turn to Sansar to link me to tools to create, or experiences where I can explore or meetup with friends much the same as SL, only Sansar sparkles!

Edited by Blush Bravin

55 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I don't think of Sansar as an operating system, far from it. To me Sansar is .... hmmmm .. what? Well, maybe it's like my Iphone with lots of apps. I turn to my phone to link me to things I need or want. I turn to Sansar to link me to tools to create, or experiences where I can explore or meetup with friends much the same as SL, only Sansar sparkles!

Your iPhone has an operating system in which the apps run ;)

Maybe describing Sansar as merely an operating system in which experiences run isn't a perfect description. But that's how I see it, and it's why I asked the question.

59 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

If you're thinking of an experience equaling a world as in SL mainland then no, that's not what Sansar is.

I think it is. Even small worlds are still worlds ;)  Sansar provides the tools to create worlds, however small they are, but they can be huge. I  think that LL had big worlds in mind for the Sansar system, at least at the beginning, but, as I keep saying, I could be mistaken.

Anyway, if there are any experiences that are ready for the public, they ought to be talked about - plugged - at least as well as the Sansar system.

What about paying for land/areas there? It has to be monetised, or it would be a disaster for LL. I can understand them allowing people to create small experiences for free just now, so that, when they start to charge for the land/areas, there are working examples for potential bigger customers to see. If it stays as relatively small experiences, and they don't get big takers, then it would be failure, imo, unless they can attract a large number of people who are willing to pay for their areas. I still can't envisage it succeeding, but I hope I'm wrong.

9 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

What about paying for land/areas there? It has to be monetised, or it would be a disaster for LL. I can understand them allowing people to create small experiences for free just now, so that, when they start to charge for the land/areas, there are working examples for potential bigger customers to see. If it stays as relatively small experiences, and they don't get big takers, then it would be failure, imo, unless they can attract a large number of people who are willing to pay for their areas. I still can't envisage it succeeding, but I hope I'm wrong.

We talk about this all the time in our meetups .. you should come! 

There is talk by Lindens of being able to sell entire experiences. So for instance, someone builds a home experience and can sell that experience with everything in that experience to a customer who wants a home but does not want to do the work themselves. Every item in that experience made by someone other than the creator of the experience will get paid out of the proceeds of selling the experience for the items used. That is part of the blockchain economy they are working on. Does it sound complicated? Yes! That's why they are taking their time to really do the job right. But think about it. Everyone gets paid for their work, the creators of the items and the person who spent the time to build that experience. That's just one form or monetization. Once collaborative measures for editing an experience comes into play, it's quite possible that a person could create a community where others rent a space to live in that community. But this is down the road a bit for sure. These are just two of the ideas we've tossed around with the Lindens. There are other ideas being considered as well. Lindens have put a lot of time and energy into planning the Sansar economy. I for one am really happy that Sansar won't have the land struggle (fiasco) that I see in SL!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

If there's a new world out there, I don't want to know about the system it runs in. I want to know about the new world, because it might interest me. But we haven't been hearing anything like that.

I appreciate your 2nd comment very much! It shows you really do understand the heart of all this. Unfortunately, so many seem to see Sansar as 'the other' and only want to criticize or tear it down. So unless things change around here (and maybe you are the person who might be instigating such a change) I won't be posting any Experience I've created in Sansar (with an alt). It has been bad enough simply talking about my love of VR, starting when someone said anyone who likes VR must have brain damage.

You said you want to know about the new worlds because it might interest you, and that you haven't been hearing anything like that. I'm glad to see your interest, but if you scroll down in our Sansar category here on the forum to many threads where Experiences were announced (2077 by C3rb3rus, the Star Wars exhibition, Ready Player One, Atlas Hopping events where people could check out various Experiences), you'll see the responses were always negative, or else not responded to at all. It appears many think there should be a battle between SL & Sansar.

Maybe this particular thread can be a place where people start to feel comfortable posting their Sansar creations -- a place where some good can be seen related to the amazing creativity happening in Sansar ALONG with some valid critiques.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It has been bad enough simply talking about my love of VR, starting when someone said anyone who likes VR must have brain damage.

Please don't let anyone's inability to embrace change hamper your enthusiasm. I applaud you! And please share your experience, if not with everyone, then with me. Remember I'm Debi Baskerville in Sansar, so look me up!

5 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

In my years here in SL, I've rarely collaborated with other creators to produce anything; however, in Sansar that's not been the case. I too want to be part of a bigger idea .. a bigger experience and perhaps that's the biggest draw for me in Sansar.

What's the max size of a Sansar experience? I need something like 1024x1024 km, preferably bigger.

Never mind. No matter what I think or feel about Sansar, I'm not going there. I simply can't afford to spend hours and hours on a project with no realistic chance of bringing some revenue.

3 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Anyway, if there are any experiences that are ready for the public, they ought to be talked about - plugged - at least as well as the Sansar system.

Phil, there are now total of 888 experiences.
(Are they "ready" for the public? Well go and see. At this stage I say that they are available for anybody to visit.)

Install Sansar client and create free account.
Here is a list (i.e., Sansar Atlas) of all experiences where from you can visit any of them.
(Sansar Atlas is available also in the Sansar client.)
https://atlas.sansar.com/all

I find it strange that you think that Sansar is just the "operating system".
Personally I see Sansar like this: Sansar = The underlying engine or "operating system" + all the experiences
And feel think most people see it the same way.
We even talk like:
• Have you visited Sansar?
* Yes, I have.
Which means that I have logged into Sansar and I have entered some of its experiences.
In SL we login directly to some region.
In Sansar we login to Sansar Atlas and from there we select experience where we want to go.

Yes, Coby. All through the thread, I've been saying things like "although I could be mistaken", and such, including , "Maybe describing Sansar as merely an operating system in which experiences run isn't a perfect description". I'm learning that it isn't merely the operating system that I'd thought it was. I didn't expect to visit Sansar. I expected to visit experiences/worlds/call them what you will. I've been expecting stand-alone ones that are unrelated to other experiences. Perhaps some will come. Perhaps some exist even now.

What I'm not going to do, though, is look through 888 of them, hoping to find something I like ;) I prefer to be told about them, so that I can decide if they are something that might suit me if I visit, in the same way I might be told about, say, a blues club in SL. I might have a look at Blush's one though - just to see the sort of things that are being done there - and I'll probably have a look at the Atlas.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ChinRey said:

What's the max size of a Sansar experience? I need something like 1024x1024 km, preferably bigger.

Never mind. No matter what I think or feel about Sansar, I'm not going there. I simply can't afford to spend hours and hours on a project with no realistic chance of bringing some revenue.

4000m x 4000m