Sandboxes - build permitted but object entry not - why?

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Some Linden Labs sandboxes have Build enabled for everyone, but have Object Entry disabled. This is a strange combination. You can create prims and rez existing objects. You can rez a vehicle and drive it. But if you get out of the vehicle, it immediately disappears and is returned to the owner, because it's now considered an "entering object".

Is there some good reason for this, or is it just a bad permission setting?

23 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Without going into detail, it is a deterrent to griefing vectors.

Hm. If you can build and rez, you can grief. Not clear how preventing object entry where you can build helps. I'm thinking of the big sandboxes such as

each of which is four sims in a square isolated from other land. I do vehicle testing there, and if I get out of the vehicle to edit it, the vehicle goes away.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2018 at 3:20 PM, moirakathleen said:

There are two vehicle sandbox sims - Brilliant and Georgean which - from a quick check - appear to have object entry enabled.  Georgean has a paved track and appears that build is only enabled in the rez area(s), but object entry appeared to still be enabled even past the rez area. 

Oh, that's a nice sim for testing vehicles. The paved track has no region crossings, but the off-road track has lots of them.

I need a dirt bike with my own scripts. I've been riding a chopper-type bike around the dirt bike track, which looks wrong and handles badly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.