Scripts Allowed on Estate but Not?

LuisWolfe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2265 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just bought a private island and was working on it yesterday night. I invited a friend over and he asked if I could enable scripts and building so he could place a building he wanted to add to our island. I did what I could and enabled it in the Parcels options (I haven't split the island up yet, don't intend to if I don't have to) and yet the scripts and building was still banned estate wide.

Is there a way to enable scripts and building estate wide on a newly bought sim? I intend to rent out apartments and small houses on the island to other residents and would like to get scripts and building options online to other residents so they can place furniture down in there homes.

1 hour ago, LuisWolfe said:

I just bought a private island and was working on it yesterday night. I invited a friend over and he asked if I could enable scripts and building so he could place a building he wanted to add to our island. I did what I could and enabled it in the Parcels options (I haven't split the island up yet, don't intend to if I don't have to) and yet the scripts and building was still banned estate wide.

Is there a way to enable scripts and building estate wide on a newly bought sim? I intend to rent out apartments and small houses on the island to other residents and would like to get scripts and building options online to other residents so they can place furniture down in there homes.

enable it in the "about land" or "parcel details"  do not just enable it for everybody, but restrict it to group, and be sure the ones who need to use the permissions, are in the group, ánd your land is set or deeded to the same group.

NEVER enable it for everybody, it will be a griefer magnet.

17 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

It's fine to leave it disabled if that's what's prefered, but this "griefer magnet" effect is really not my experience. For the Build permission, an aggressive auto-return interval will keep debris from accumulating. I never restrict scripts unless/until there's a self-replicating attack, which has happened to me maybe a half-dozen times in over ten years. (Attached scripts are mostly exempt from restriction anyway.)

[EDIT: But wait. The OP says the parcel option was already enabled, and yet scripts and build don't work. I know it's possible for scripts to be disabled region-wide (on the Region/Estate dialog's Debug tab). But that's an unusual setting, so I wonder if that's what's happening; personally I don't know of anything analogous for rezzing, but there really shouldn't be any options checked on that Debug page, in case disabling Physics prevents Havok from rezzing stuff at all... which seems unlikely.]

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 1

There is a script setting in the estate settings but that is only useful to stop a running griefer attack.

If you have set scripts to running in the land settings that should do.

If you disable scripts in the land settings that will not stop scripts from running nor will it prevent a griefer attack btw. but it will surely drive out avatars since most can't even change without scripts.

For griefers it's way more important to prevent them from rezzing. All they can do then is beeing a little annoying for a few seconds until they get removed - how boring.

1 hour ago, animats said:

Right. If you permit object entry and avatar entry, permit scripts. Otherwise, anything with a script dies on your parcel, including overflying aircraft. This is griefing.

INB4 another "vehicle users should have complete supremacy/autonomy over any/all land settings" debate, your perceived inconvenience does not allow you declare any combination of land settings as griefing with intent. There are many reasons to not allow public scripts, primarily, resource control of worn scripts in high traffic areas/events.

33 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

INB4 another "vehicle users should have complete supremacy/autonomy over any/all land settings" debate, your perceived inconvenience does not allow you declare any combination of land settings as griefing with intent. There are many reasons to not allow public scripts, primarily, resource control of worn scripts in high traffic areas/events.

I see this problem mostly in near-abandoned areas, where someone set the permissions long ago and left. At least the big landowners tend to set their permissions reasonably. If LIFE Properties had ban lines around all their properties or turned scripts off, flying would be impossible.

6 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

enable it in the "about land" or "parcel details"  do not just enable it for everybody, but restrict it to group, and be sure the ones who need to use the permissions, are in the group, ánd your land is set or deeded to the same group.

6 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

It's fine to leave it disabled if that's what's prefered, but this "griefer magnet" effect is really not my experience. For the Build permission, an aggressive auto-return interval will keep debris from accumulating. I never restrict scripts unless/until there's a self-replicating attack, which has happened to me maybe a half-dozen times in over ten years. (Attached scripts are mostly exempt from restriction anyway.)

[EDIT: But wait. The OP says the parcel option was already enabled, and yet scripts and build don't work. I know it's possible for scripts to be disabled region-wide (on the Region/Estate dialog's Debug tab). But that's an unusual setting, so I wonder if that's what's happening; personally I don't know of anything analogous for rezzing, but there really shouldn't be any options checked on that Debug page, in case disabling Physics prevents Havok from rezzing stuff at all... which seems unlikely.]

5 hours ago, Nova Convair said:

There is a script setting in the estate settings but that is only useful to stop a running griefer attack.

If you have set scripts to running in the land settings that should do.

If you disable scripts in the land settings that will not stop scripts from running nor will it prevent a griefer attack btw. but it will surely drive out avatars since most can't even change without scripts.

For griefers it's way more important to prevent them from rezzing. All they can do then is beeing a little annoying for a few seconds until they get removed - how boring.

At the moment its just me and a friend who have access to the island. There's no public access just yet. When we do, were going to have a group invite for people who are renting and living on the island. Our issue is I am the only one who can build and my friend ant help me. And we have tried everything I know of to allow him to build and run scripts, but he cant and I'm not sure why. There shouldent be an excuse why he cant and I have yet to find out why he cant when all the settings allowing scripts and building for the land have been allowed.

Atm we have roadwork and big buildigs up, was going to fill in stuff as it stands, but I really need to get him up and running so he can work on his part of our project.

Ok, now I was just made an idiot. I came on just now to get a screenshot of the settings and NOW I can get it to work when this morning I couldent. Thats bizarre...  *face-palms* At least I saved my problem at least.

Is this a LL thing where the first 24 hours you cant have anyone but yourself building and using scripts?

On 2/3/2018 at 4:06 AM, Alwin Alcott said:

My experience doesn't really mirror this. Sure they have very rarely appeared, but just be silent/boring and they move on.

Setting an aggressive return time, and more importantly (if not critical) making sure each and every parcel blocks object entry is enough to control the situation.

Take a look at most airports and marinas around the Blake Sea. Most are open rez.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2265 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.