Huge packet loss rates

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1839 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Suddenly my packet loss rate went up to 10-20%, according to Firestorm. Tried on two different machines; one Linux, one Windows 7.

This seems bogus. My DSL stats show zero errors. Ping tests and speed tests show zero errors. I have 50mb/s down, 5 mb/s up, and speed tests right now show that.SL is using under 1% of the available bandwidth. This happens even in an empty sandbox. (132kb/s down, 4.7 kb/s up. That's kb, not mb.)

Anybody else seeing this?

(This has been a bad day for LL. First they let their TLS certificate expire, preventing web connections. Then there was about 15 minutes when logins to SL failed. Vallone sim is still lagging badly. Now this.)

• 2 weeks later...

No... not seeing that. Packet loss is very low <1%.

There is a difference in how viewer and system Ping and Packet Loss work. The system numbers are measured from NIC to target NIC. Viewer numbers measure from the viewer to the simulator software. Ping will go up independent of the network if the server or viewer are lagging. Viewer numbers do include network values but they also depend on viewer and server performance.

When there is a huge difference between viewer and system numbers the problem is usually the region server. On rare occasions, the problem is in the Linden internal network. Now and then it is the ISP the Lindens use.

TraceRT, Ping, and similar tools can reveal where the problem is. Look for packet loss tools. Most are retail packages. You can get by with the Windows ping -n 20 ###.###.###.###. You need to spread the test over time, 1 or 2 minutes.

Testing info: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same problem, seems it started in September. At some sims and parts of those sims I totally freeze at others it is fine. The second life viewer handles this a lot better over the firestorm viewer. When I checked with Visualroute connecting to those sims/servers seem to have a high delay responding, from 40 ms to Amsterdam to above 200 ms and more connecting to the US. There seem to be something wrong and how could this be solved?

On 2/27/2019 at 5:41 PM, DreadZone said:

I'm having the same problem, seems it started in September. At some sims and parts of those sims I totally freeze at others it is fine. The second life viewer handles this a lot better over the firestorm viewer. When I checked with Visualroute connecting to those sims/servers seem to have a high delay responding, from 40 ms to Amsterdam to above 200 ms and more connecting to the US. There seem to be something wrong and how could this be solved?

You are either going to have to work it out with you internet provider (provide them with those ping times) or you can try to force another route.  Sometimes using something like Google DNS will force a different route.  Using VPN will force a different route, but that will add other issues.

My ISP has done everything to fix the packet loss (i.e. three new modems, outside lines, resetting modems) and still I'm getting outrageous packet loss in game.

There isn't a packet loss for a few days and them "BOOM" there it is again. I'm at a loss and so is my ISP, it's very frustrating. My ISP suggested that there's nothing wrong on my end and therefore it must be a problem on the LL end. Why can't this be rectified?

On 3/5/2019 at 6:08 PM, Kikkles Capelo said:

My ISP has done everything to fix the packet loss (i.e. three new modems, outside lines, resetting modems) and still I'm getting outrageous packet loss in game.

There isn't a packet loss for a few days and them "BOOM" there it is again. I'm at a loss and so is my ISP, it's very frustrating. My ISP suggested that there's nothing wrong on my end and therefore it must be a problem on the LL end. Why can't this be rectified?

The problem is in finding where the problem is. Which piece of hardware is not performing? Is it the server NIC, a switch, router, a cable, a connection, is it in the local communication channel near the Lab, or out in the Lab's ISP? 

If it is intermittent... it gets more complicated.

There thousands of switches and cables connecting the simulators. No one wants to test all of them. So, until they can figure out where the problem is... it survives.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 3:39 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

The problem is in finding where the problem is. Which piece of hardware is not performing? Is it the server NIC, a switch, router, a cable, a connection, is it in the local communication channel near the Lab, or out in the Lab's ISP? 

If it is intermittent... it gets more complicated.

There thousands of switches and cables connecting the simulators. No one wants to test all of them. So, until they can figure out where the problem is... it survives.

Thank you for responding and I realize that it's a tedious task. If I disconnect my modem, which I have to do every 2/3 days, and reconnect I find there is no packet loss. It's frustrating, but I guess that's the only resolution. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1839 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.