Can you record a conversation on SL? Question about the Disclosure topic.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2270 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

According to this page: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Residents'_privacy_rights , it talks about you can record conversations if you have a sign present. See the attached image, that I added. Found this today as I was out exploring. Found out the page they reference in their sign is from 2012. It's part of the Wikipedia, and probably hasn't been updated.  Just curious to know if this is still a thing, or now that we are in 2018, long after this article was published.. No sharing.. AT ALL.

Ywzwfz1qQqm4iRUm71tpog.png

Audio recording legality greatly depends on the sim. If the sim allows it then you are fine. Private IMs can not be shared on any LL owned content, IE the forums, MySecondlife.com, In your profiles, between other users or anywhere else they own. Remember, if the ToS doesn't forbid it, it is technically legal in SL.

22 minutes ago, Nalytha said:

Is audio actually a legal grey area? Streamers record without permission all the time. 

ehhhhhhhhhhhh California law is weird and this is privately owned video game where the TOS/EULA probably has waviers and stuff and ehhhhhhhh

My uneducated interpretation is that as a company based in CA, as well as being a resident of CA, it's more than likely that audio recordings of a conversation I participate in would be illegal without "consent"

However, as far as -telephone calls- go, pressing "1" is consent, so is continuing to speak after hearing an "audible beep" from the recording party. And if the call originates from inside CA to someone outside CA, the laws only apply to the CA resident yet, the outsider's state laws have to be followed as well. And the crafty mofos in my life just skirt around all this stuff with three-way calling anyway. 

https://youtu.be/SYKpbC2Ur1Y

This happens to me all too often ^^

I am so not the person to be giving advice on the subject.

Edited by Amythyst Opaline

The current CS ( https://www.lindenlab.com/legal/community-standards ) now says:

"the remote monitoring, posting or sharing of conversations without a participant’s consent are prohibited."

Now, what forms a person's consent is an interesting question. In most places in the world simply posting a sign is not valid, the user would need to approve it with an explicit yes/no choice. The USA is pretty broken though. If that sign is placed, phantom, over a door way and you need to walk through to enter then it would probably be classed as consent in America.

Personally I would avoid that place seeing such a sign.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Amythyst Opaline said:

In-world Chat is public. Anyone can do anything with it. IM might have rules but probably not.

No, I think you are quite wrong. People can't "do anything with it". The actual rule is quite simple English and quoted in the post above. If you were not there you are not entitled to see it unless the people all consent. Your friend who was there is not allowed to notecard it and pass it on to you, even if it were in open chat.

I'd guess the Lab are not going to actively go out and ban people who do share local chat, but that doesn't make it a free for all.

11 hours ago, Carl Thibodeaux said:

Just curious to know if this is still a thing, or now that we are in 2018, long after this article was published.. No sharing.. AT ALL.

Current Community Standards (Jan 31, 2018)

Scroll down to the middle of the page to find Disclosure

...  the remote monitoring, posting or sharing of conversations without a participant’s consent are prohibited.

Two things to note.  First is the word "conversations."   This is open chat, IM, voice, sign language and any other form of communication.

The other is the part I marked in bold.  

Now, does the big sign mean you give consent?  Not to me but then I'm not going to be the Linden that picks up the AR .  While the wiki may go into more detail it is not official policy.  However it is a guide on how LL will likely see it.  Also, what if it never ressed enough for me to read?  How can you be sure anyone actually sees it?  It is too easy to miss or claim to miss. 

Also, once consent is given, can it later be revoked? 

In this instance the sign may as well say "Now entering an elevated state of drama.  Shut up and go away."  I wish places like this included a "Ban Me" button on the sign.  That would save me some time.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

No, I think you are quite wrong. People can't "do anything with it". The actual rule is quite simple English and quoted in the post above. If you were not there you are not entitled to see it unless the people all consent. Your friend who was there is not allowed to notecard it and pass it on to you, even if it were in open chat.

I'd guess the Lab are not going to actively go out and ban people who do share local chat, but that doesn't make it a free for all.

Pedant: Does local chat fit the definition of "a conversation" as per the cited rule? 

Oh, my sweet summer child, anything you do digitally is a free for all. Russian botnets see everything on your phone, from your contact lists, to your sexynudes, to every text you ever send, including the ones you started to type then deleted and never actually sent. And I don't think they have any hesitation with sharing that information with the entire internet. #FIC

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2270 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.