Height Limit for Objects?

Amza Hydraconis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1826 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi.

I was wondering if there is a height limit on how high an object can be placed above a sim or can it be changed and where can you change it?  I have been on some platforms that were over 7,000m above a sim, but on a sim I manage, I can only place an object at 4096m.  It won't go any higher. 

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Amza Hydraconis

13 answers to this question

As Rolig says, you can't build above 4096m, but you can build something BELOW that limit, and then use Edit to manually move it higher.  I am astounded that anyone would go to the trouble to move anything to 7000m in this way!  Once it's up there, it's pretty useless.  You can't rez any objects in such a sky-high home.  Your furniture won't rez its poseballs.  You could get hypoxia.

I tried moving objects above 4096m recently as a test for a similar question. I wasn't able to move anything higher than 4096m. Perhaps the ability to do so was an undocumented feature that was later corrected. Another reason not to bother to build at 7000 meters (if it was possible) is things start getting weird around 6000 meters due to loss of precision.

By Jove, Parhelion, you're right!  I tried to move a cube upward from 4094m by two methods...entering a new Z position greater than 4096 in the Edit window, and manually dragging it by the Z handle.  In both cases, the cube refused to go above 4096m.  It would seem that loophole has been closed.

Trying tricks that skirted the ancient 768m object ceiling isn't working, with "gone off world" results. It feels a bit like the change that prevents unlinking anything from a linkset with any members on land without build permission (which I hate). Physical vehicles, which were once exempt from the ceiling, also go off world and vanish at that height now.

Of course it's possible to link things and push them up a bit above the ceiling. Or one could have a bot wear a skybox at great altitude, but contents would be limited -- among other things, one can't sit on a worn attachment. A script can move a seated avatar beyond the normal range of a linkset -- apparently 1000m from the root origin -- so very special hybrid "furniture" might be made to work (after a fashion) up to about 5096m.

Nothing goes over 4096m - except avatars and what you wear.

The center of the root prim counts. So If I get out one of the old 2000m megaprims and move it to 4096m then I have the top of that thing at 5096m.
If that prims are still working - and of course your view range must be over 1000m or you dont see it. (the root's center needs to be in view range)

One detail I observed: you can not rez an object when it's upper end will be over 4096m. Last time I tried I needed to rez it at a lower altitude and then move it up. (a 500m sphere for a spacey background)

Edited by Nova Convair

Using most TPVs you can fly up to any height, type rezplat, then rez *some* things on that.

They fall back to 4096 if you TP out, but it's a temporary solution.

*Important: Never do this to Copy only items, you will lose them.

cba0b4ced7ab891f65ad76f9e4cf6886.thumb.png.10cb511b04d7649a85efb3db079f875b.png

Edited by Callum Meriman
Added a warning, just in case.

On 2/7/2018 at 2:18 AM, Callum Meriman said:

Using most TPVs you can fly up to any height, type rezplat, then rez *some* things on that.

They fall back to 4096 if you TP out, but it's a temporary solution.

*Important: Never do this to Copy only items, you will lose them.

I tried that -- rezplat did rez a platform, but anything I tried to rez on it never showed. I'd get a "couldn't rez at this location" message instead. If I right-clicked on the platform then clicked anywhere else the platform would disappear. The platform must have deleted itself; I didn't get an off-world message.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1826 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.