Sign in to follow this  
Charolotte Caxton

Subscribomatics

Question

I have found nothing in subscription notices to hinder my performance at all.  One note on suscribo groups vs regular listed groups...the subscribomatic group is often used by merchants just for release notices; many only offer the group gifts and special discounts only to what is often called the VIP group... the group that takes up a slot.  But with the LL viewer or Phoenix we now have 42 groups making room for more favorites than the old 20 limit.

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

I have found nothing in subscription notices to hinder my performance at all.  One note on suscribo groups vs regular listed groups...the subscribomatic group is often used by merchants just for release notices; many only offer the group gifts and special discounts only to what is often called the VIP group... the group that takes up a slot.  But with the LL viewer or Phoenix we now have 42 groups making room for more favorites than the old 20 limit.

• Like 1

I know...I thought the group increase would give me more flexibility when it came to choosing the groups I really wanted to belong to...now I'm maxed out again! lol

As Lyra says, subscribo type groups shouldn't have any major impact on your inwolrd performance.

One other thing to just bear in mind is that, with most of these types of groups, if ever you want to unsubscribe, you have to go back to the original location and click the sign you subscribed from to choose 'unsubscribe'. This is fine in most circumstances but, sadly, there is the occassional unscrupulous user who will make it difficult to unsubscribe by moving the sign around or hiding it. 

Worse case scenario though is that you can mute the sending object if it becomes extremely spammy and you can't find the sign to unsubscribe :)

• Like 1

If the spam works like group notices, in the sense that it gets emailed to you if you are offline and is waiting to bombard you when you login, then it will have the downside that it will cap your messages if you don`t login regularly.

You can only get a certain number of messages opening for you when you login, so if you have these spammers and groups sending lots of notices, you will reach the limit very fast and may not get your IMs from your friends opening as a result.

If you get things sent to email you can check there to see what you missed, though the email system is not always reliable. It can get very tedious being capped, especially for the sake of spam.

I switch off notices for groups that send ridiculous numbers of notices and I never subscribe to spammers lol....If you find yourself closing those sort of things without even reading them then you know you don`t need them.

You could always set up an alt and have that account join all the junk things, then your main avvie gets left spam free :)

That's a great suggestion, the turning off of notices. I find myself going through past notices anyways because I don't know what made it through and what didn't, and that little 99+ icon, yeah, I'm afraid to touch that.