How to use premium member tier to rent on private land

MistressLena

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2247 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Howdy!

If I become a premium member but prefer to rent on a private estate rather than live on the mainland, can I do so without paying anything additional (or just the difference)? The Linden article about premium membership states: "You can also use tier to buy land on the mainland or rent land on a private estate." How do I do this?

Thank you!

I'm following, to see what others say.  Have been an estate manager for Virtual Ability, since 2007, and far as I know, there is no way to use your Premium SL membership to pay rent on a private estate.  She said she saw this in some Linden article, so I'm just watching to see, how that is going to be interpreted.   My residents pay to a Hippo or Casperlet box, and it goes directly to Virtual Ability, who owns the sims.  How one would pay a private estate owner with using tier from a premium membership  is beyond me, UNLESS it means donating your free 512 parcel tier, to a group on a private estate and perhaps that would be accepted as partial rent payment.  Just guessing, no real clue here.  That would surely be up to the estate owner.  

Your tier allowance that comes with your Premium membership can be used for 3 things:  To have a Linden Home or to apply towards the tier for any Mainland that you own or to donate to a group.

Some rentals will give you a discount if you donate your tier to their land group.  There are also SL businesses that will pay you for your tier to be donated to their group - where they in turn then rent the extra tier out to others.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That line is in more than one article. I suspect it either got mangled long ago and has been copied without examination since, or has been wrong since the first time it was used.

Linden Lab wants dollars to pay for private estates. There's no way that I've ever heard of to use premium membership tier allowances on a private estate. It would be nice if it was possible; I've had a premium membership since I started in SL though I only owned land on mainland for a 2-week period in 2006. I wouldn't mind using my 512 sqm to help pay for the region I own.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

I've had a premium membership since I started in SL though I only owned land on mainland for a 2-week period in 2006. I wouldn't mind using my 512 sqm to help pay for the region I own

If you have the patience for it, you could flip your 512 land. I’ve done this. Sometimes I make very very little. Sometimes I get lucky and make a nice profit

• 3 weeks later...

It would have to be an option that a landlord would have as a form of rent, they would have to do it "manually" i.e. you would tier in a group that has Mainland in it, and that would be swapped out to apply to your private island rental

I allow people to donate tier to any group, and use that on the private island towards paying their rent there. A few people might put in 4096 and rent that "as such" on an island but most have only 512 so they get $250 discount off rent in my system.

Ordinarily you can't directly use Mainland tier from premium accounts to rent/buy on an island because the island tier is paid in full by one owner, and then they may opt to have you buy and pay tier but you can't put tier (land credits) into the group for an island. That is, you could but it "goes nowhere," it does not apply towards covering that island.

But since I have both Mainland and a private island you could put tier in my land group (512) and get $250 toward rent on the island. 

Edited by Prokofy Neva

• 2 weeks later...

Do not understand thé way a Land owner or group could have use or that 512 parcel allowance "gift" to o group on order to provide discount since that gift Can be revocated at any time by the "original" owner... The group would have issues up to have to increase some membre fees to maintain lands they could rent if on island ppls leave with their "gift". Except for Big groupes or strong owners, it seems à little bit kamikaze.... But i m not Land owner that rent...

The reality is, most people either stay with you long term if they put in tier OR they give you notice if they want to move on and withdraw your tier. Obviously a landowner will keep a "buffer" of unused tier in the group for these events -- or perhaps another kind of event, suddenly some prim land comes up for sale on a sim where he has land.

It is hardly a trouble to add another 512 to an alt's account if suddenly several pull out. So it's not the problem you imagine. And I find that most people do not produce the hysterical hypotheticals so often invoked in SL and in RL about tech.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2247 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.