asvard17

Textures how to use them

Question

Adding textures to Objects

I am pretty new at this and I am having some difficulty, hopefully someone reading this can help.  I have a space ship and I found some nose art as well both were purchased in the Market placed.  I want to add one of the artworks to the nose of my ship.  However, I either get a second of ship where I tried to place it disappear or the whole ship is cover.  Anyone have any ideas?

5 answers to this question

Yes, but they probably won't help because I cannot see your ship.  All objects in SL have surfaces on which you can apply textures.  Simple shapes, like a cube that you rez with the tools in your viewer, have surfaces that are easy to figure out.  A cube has six square faces, so you can put a different texture on each face if you want.  It's not as easy to figure out where the distinct faces are on a more complex shape, like a ship.  They may have irregular shapes or may even be split into several disconnected pieces.  If you don't know what you are doing, you can easily texture the wrong thing .... or everything ... as you have found.  Unless you have explicit instructions from whoever made an object, the solution is often to texture something else ( spare prim, for example) and attach it to your object.  That's what people do when they want to add wall coverings in a prefab house -- build a false wall and texture it instead of messing with the real wall.  You might be able to do that with your ship. Otherwise, the only options are either to keep experimenting or ask the creator for guidance.  I would experiment, myself.  Just be sure that you keep a clean backup copy somewhere.  ;)

Rolig's last suggestion is probably the best one for you.  Create a sort of "decal" of your nose art.  For this to work, you must have Modify permissions on the ship.

1. Open your nose art image in Photoshop, GIMP, or another image-editing program
  2. Delete any background.  Everything but the image should be transparent
  3. For the purposes of this example, we'll assume a square image.  When done editing, re-size the image to 256 x 256 pixels
  4. Save the image in a format that supports an alpha channel, like .PNG
  5. Upload the image to Second Life (costs $L10)
  6. Create a square prim the size you want to put on your craft's nose, minimum thickness (0.01m)
  7. Make the prim transparent...Texture tab, transparency 100%.
  8. Click the Select Face button.  Select one face of the prim.
  9. Apply your image texture to that face, then reduce the transparency of that face only back to 0%.
  10. Edit the decal prim into place on the nose of your ship.  Select the decal, then the ship, with SHIFT+click.
  11. Click "Link" in the Edit window.
  12. Right click and Take the modified ship back into your inventory.  You may want to put it into a new folder with a name to distinguish it from the original, like "Ship With Nose Art".

Lindal's suggestion should work.  The only real risk ... and it's actually quite possible ... is that linking something new to your ship will mess up its scripts so that the ship will not function the way it used to -- or at all. But that's why you do this on a copy of the ship and keep your backup clean. There's no harm trying.  If you are lucky, the scripter who wrote those systems was wise enough to identify all of the important links in the ship by name.  If so, and if you find that the systems are acting funny, you may be able to fix everything by resetting the scripts, or possibly just taking the whole ship back to your inventory and re-rezzing it. 

• Like 1

1) Open the edit window for the object and look at the textures thumbnail in it. Does it show one texture or does it say something like "Multiple Textures"?

If it shows only one texture (probably with different areas visible), then the object was made as a single face and you can't retexture part of it.

If it says "Multiples" then you might be able to texture the part you want.

2) Tick the box next to Select Face in the edit window. Now try to select the nose. Hopefully there are yellow and blue lines which show you the different parts. Is the part you want to retexture outlined as a separate part? Click on the nose to select it as the active face and add your texture.

It might help to practice with a simple rezzed prim. Each side will be a separate face and can be textured individually. Mesh objects are more complicated and how it retextures depends on choices the creator made before uploading it into SL.