Group owned land vs Personal owned

CIrce Lyvette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I have looked around but i cant seem to find confirmation of this or more information (Or at least, not to clarify what i think i read on SL itself). I am a premium member and have 3 parcels of land on the mainland.  My husband has one beside me. If we both "donate" our land portions to our private group, it doesnt change our monthly tier costs correct?  What is the benefit of lumping our land together as "group" owned by both of us, vs keeping it separate.  It allows us to not worry about property lines in terms of building/decorating correct?  Is there anything else?

I read all the SL information, but i just want to clarify because i found it a little ....confusing.

I appreciate all comments.  Thanks.

Circe

8 hours ago, CIrce Lyvette said:

... it doesnt change our monthly tier costs correct? 

Probably not, but because of the 10% group "bonus" cost could possibly be reduced if the total area is less than 110% of the total contributed tier with one of the contributing accounts reducing its level.  (That would make more sense with real numbers, but none of it matters unless you're already close to fitting into a lower tier level.) Or that group bonus could be used to own 10% more land, if you can find the right size parcel(s).

8 hours ago, CIrce Lyvette said:

It allows us to not worry about property lines in terms of building/decorating correct? 

Assuming this is about auto-return, you can get most of those advantages just by setting the land to the same group, without necessarily deeding it to group. Either way, items you rez on the land will need to be set to the same group.

If all the land is deeded to a group you can either leave it as separate parcels or join them into a single parcel that shares settings including parcel audio, banlists, invisibility, etc.

Every group "Owner" has the same god-like land powers (including selling). For many things, that can be very handy -- as long as no owner screws up anything for another owner, even by accident. Of course, a land donor need not have the Owner role in the land group, if you want to fine-tune the permissions (but it's generally a good idea for a land group to have at least a couple Owners, even if just alts, in case of problems with one account).

Hopefully others will add stuff I've left out. This seems like a topic that might have come up before, so maybe a search would turn up better advice.

• Like 1

Yes, you can put all of your land into the group without causing a change in tier, as long as the tier is donated at the time the land is deeded to the group.  I believe that donating the needed tier is an option you get when you deed the land to a group -- either via a check box or a pop-up box (can't remember which way).  If the option isn't there, groups are actually allowed to be negative on tier for short periods, so you would deed the land and then pull up the group profile and donate your tier.

A group gets a 10% bonus in tier, though that usually doesn't help much except with pretty large amounts of land. As an example, let's assume that all 3 of your parcels are 512 sqm and your husband's is 512 sqm.  That means that you would be are using 1536 sqm of tier and paying for 1024 sqm of tier (because your first 512 is free with your Premium membership) and your husband is not paying anything because his 512 is free.  If you deed your total 1536 sqm land to the group (donate tier at time land is deeded to avoid additional tier fees) and your husband deeds his 512 sqm of land to the group (also donating the tier at the time the deeding is done), then the group ends up owning 2048 sqm of land.  Yet, because of the 10% bonus, the group actually ends up with a total tier of 2252/2253 (depending on how LL rounds).  What that means is that you then have another 252/253 sqm of tier available for more land.  Since 252 is not a typical land size that you can buy, this is why I said the bonus usually only helps when the amount is quite a bit larger.  

Additionally, if all 4 of the plots are on the same sim, then they all can share the total combined allowed prims/LI.  So one plot could use more than the 175 LI (of the 512 sqm) as long as total of 700 LI is not exceeded by all 4 plots combined.  The sharing of prims/LI is not specific to groups, but to the land owner (i.e. an individual or a group).  Thus if all 3 of your plots are on the same sim, you already have the 'sharing' ability.  Putting all of the plots in a group simply adds the 4th parcel into the 'sharing' pot.

• Like 1

There is very little benefit to keep it in personal title, but when you deed to a group make sure you know the management side of things. Preferably only have one person as the group owner, if personal circumstances change you wouldn't need to boot out everyone from the group. 

Group owned land gets 10% more holding power as others have said, it also allows role management to tailor each person's access to what you need.

• 2 weeks later...

Parcel sizes are always multiples of 16m²  (the 4x4m tiles that can be selected in the terrain editor) so the closest you could get would be 576.

In theory the Lab only does this simple L$1/m² sale to an adjacent owner if they own three sides of the parcel and it's smaller than 512m² but if you ask nicely you may not have to go through an auction. I imagine it helps if the part you ask to carve out leaves them with a neatly-shaped chunk of land to auction-off.

To communicate to the Lindens which part(s) you want to buy, you might make a prim "floorplan" of simple rectangles that correspond to the area or its outline, linked to a root prim on your parcel.

Then you'd do the actual asking by submitting a new "Land & Region" Support ticket

If the Lab responds that they instead must take it to auction, that's not necessarily the end of the world, depending how huge the adjacent abandoned land is, and how expensive it would be at auction. We can explore tricks to avoid excessive temporary tiering-up, if it comes to that.

On 2/12/2018 at 10:28 PM, CIrce Lyvette said:

Ok.  Now im wondering, can i ask for an additional 589 m2 in the abandoned land next to me?  and how do i figure out the coordinates?

Note: You can't get 589 sqm of land. The smallest unit of land is 16 sqm (a 4m x 4m square), so all parcels have sizes evenly divisible by 16. The closest you can get (and stay under 589) is 576 sqm.

ok.  i thought i was sorted lol.  I am overthinking this i know it.  If my group has a total of 2048 m2 of land (donated by my husband and myself), how much extra can i have?  205 m2? which really translates into an extra 192 m2 because its a multiple of 16 m2.

correct?  *head hurts*

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.