CIrce Lyvette

Group owned land vs Personal owned

Hi, I have looked around but i cant seem to find confirmation of this or more information (Or at least, not to clarify what i think i read on SL itself). I am a premium member and have 3 parcels of land on the mainland.  My husband has one beside me. If we both "donate" our land portions to our private group, it doesnt change our monthly tier costs correct?  What is the benefit of lumping our land together as "group" owned by both of us, vs keeping it separate.  It allows us to not worry about property lines in terms of building/decorating correct?  Is there anything else?

I read all the SL information, but i just want to clarify because i found it a little ....confusing.

I appreciate all comments.  Thanks.

Circe

Keeping it separate has no benefits whatsoever, apart from that the other person cannot touch it if things get sour between you two.

Group owned land will have a 10% excess (bonus) for total donated to group. Say if you two have 2048 sqm of holding power, and you donate it to a group you actually get the 2253 sqm holding power. You have to assign the land to a group, then check 'owner make contribution with deed' then hit the deed button. I highly advise against having both people as owners, it will become complicated should circumstances change. 

BTW a bit of deja vu I felt this has been answered before.

Edited by iamyourneighbour

Just to give you an example of what was explained above...

The biggest benefit to group-owned land is you get a 10% bonus tier. For instance, the LL tier is $15 for up to 2048sqm. Since my land is considered as group-owned (using my own private group), I get to take advantage of the bonus tier -- which allows me to actually own 2560sqm for the same LL tier price of $15. (I basically get more land, more prims, for the same tier price as a privately-owned 2048sqm parcel.)

SL offers the use of a calculator to help you figure out costs & sqm available to you within the tier you wish to stay in. Change the numbers and click on the "calculate" or "reset" button to see where you stand. Just make sure that at the bottom of the page under "Update Tier" heading, you don't click the "save" button so as to avoid accidentally upgrading/downgrading your current tier. You'll need to be logged into your SL web account to view/access the Land Use Fees calculator:  https://secondlife.com/my/account/landfees.php? 

Hope this helps!

Here's some helpful land ownership links (below)...

Mainland pricing & fees table: https://secondlife.com/land/pricing.php 

Buying Land FAQ:

Group-owned Land FAQ: 

Personal land is better. I had once group land and encounter very specific problem. I buyed ORB. But ORB can work only in owner land. As ORB wasnt transfer permission, then I wasnt able to give it to group. Also I think there isnt possibility to buy it directly for group. Anyway, ORB is mine, but land is group owned and my ORB wasnt worked there. ORB thinked I want to put it into foreign land.

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:56 AM, Ernesto Perez said:

Personal land is better. I had once group land and encounter very specific problem. I buyed ORB. But ORB can work only in owner land. As ORB wasnt transfer permission, then I wasnt able to give it to group. Also I think there isnt possibility to buy it directly for group. Anyway, ORB is mine, but land is group owned and my ORB wasnt worked there. ORB thinked I want to put it into foreign land.

I think that's more a problem of your specific orb. That doesn't make personal land better then group owned.

With group owned land you also have more control over things via the group and role settings of the group the land is owned by.

2 minutes ago, Christhiana said:

I think that's more a problem of your specific orb. That doesn't make personal land better then group owned.

I think also its ORB problem. But fact is that ORB works only in owner land. I have many ORB-s, and when I remember correctly, then they all need land owner to be the same as ORB owner. I wasnt programmed ORB-s, dont know why things are in this way. Pushing is allowed by owner only, when pushing is disabled. Also owner can teleport guest to home. Probably this is reason. Theoretically this can be done also in group land, but I have no wish to write ORB myself. I have one of the best ORB ever in SL,  Triple Labs GRID-WIDE Security System. And as this ORB is more important for me, then yes, personal land is better for me. This 10% dont outweight my ORB.

I use caspersafe myself and it can be deeded to the group. You can rez a separate enforcer object for each owner in order to eject, tp home, etc. It's not a gridwide system though as far as I know.

2 hours ago, Ernesto Perez said:

I think also its ORB problem. But fact is that ORB works only in owner land. I have many ORB-s, and when I remember correctly, then they all need land owner to be the same as ORB owner. 

There are some security systems that handle this by having you also deed the security object to the land group.  So that might help in that particular instance.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

There are some security systems that handle this by having you also deed the security object to the land group.  So that might help in that particular instance.

But I tried to deed, but it was "no transfer" and this means deed also dont work. But it was 6y ago. I just readed in marketplace about my GWS ORB, and now there was "works with group land"...so, I probably must get new version. .....Altough group-land settings are interesting, officers and such fun stuff. 10% is not bad, but there anyway dont exist exactly such land to buy. Example 1/4 sim is 16384 sqm2. With this new free 1024 sqm2, I can own total of 17408 sqm2 land, without paying higher than 1/4 tier fee. With group land I can increase this more with 10%......sounds nice. But the reality is - you just cant buy larger than 16384 sqm2 land because theres nobody who sells, just no land to buy.  So, pointless is to hope to this 10%  

3 minutes ago, Ernesto Perez said:

But I tried to deed, but it was "no transfer" and this means deed also dont work. But it was 6y ago. I just readed in marketplace about my GWS ORB, and now there was "works with group land"...so, I probably must get new version. .....Altough group-land settings are interesting, officers and such fun stuff. 10% is not bad, but there anyway dont exist exactly such land to buy. Example 1/4 sim is 16384 sqm2. With this new free 1024 sqm2, I can own total of 17408 sqm2 land, without paying higher than 1/4 tier fee. With group land I can increase this more with 10%......sounds nice. But the reality is - you just cant buy larger than 16384 sqm2 land because theres nobody who sells, just no land to buy.  So, pointless is to hope to this 10%  

Typically, until you get into larger parcel size, Yes the 10% doesn't really gain you anything, because there are very few odd parcels of those odd sizes.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Typically, until you get into larger parcel size, Yes the 10% doesn't really gain you anything, because there are very few odd parcels of those odd sizes.

I just get idea. I must get bank loan, buy largel parcel, make it fit to my needs, sell other parcel and pay back bank loan. Jep, SL is crazy stuff, like gambling addiction.  :) 

• Haha 2

I use the 10% to buy some micro parcels where I can keep copies of my caspervend dropboxes. They are also handy to tp to when the sim my main parcel is on is rebooting.

Orbs work fine on group land in general but of course not every crappy orb you find out there.

When do you need group land?

- to run an orb 24/7 even when you are not online

- to allow setting of parcel media for other avatars

- to give other avatars land powers

- for group building

You do not need group land if you just want others allow to rez stuff permanently

5 hours ago, Nova Convair said:

Orbs work fine on group land in general but of course not every crappy orb you find out there.

When do you need group land?

- to run an orb 24/7 even when you are not online

- to allow setting of parcel media for other avatars

- to give other avatars land powers

- for group building

You do not need group land if you just want others allow to rez stuff permanently

My land is group owned. Why? Because of the 10% bonus sqm for mainland parcels. This way my 5400sqm parcel only pays the tier of a 4096sqm parcel. That's imho the biggest reason to have group owned mainland.

Does not apply to private estates of course.

I figured out the group owned thing. It’s awesome to have the extra 10 % tier !

i hate orbs. I don’t see why anyone has them to be honest. I don’t even use ban lines on my land. Anyone is free to use what I have. 

Thank you you all so much for the help. I appreciate it. 

11 minutes ago, CIrce Lyvette said:

i hate orbs. I don’t see why anyone has them to be honest. I don’t even use ban lines on my land. Anyone is free to use what I have. 

I love ORB-s and all security stuff. Not because I want to kick someone out of land, but because its exciting for me like a game.

Edited by Ernesto Perez
  • Confused 2

I had one very exotic security system. Was server (rezzed to land) and megaprim walls. In server were blacklists-whitelists and in walls scripts those made walls phantom and non-phantom (walls were transparent), depending on server list. It was really exciting. Im wasnt interested at all those walls block someone or not, but the system itself get interest. Actually in real-life I have the same. For me SL is not social media, but rather game with prims and land and security.

Edited by Ernesto Perez

3 minutes ago, Ernesto Perez said:

I had one very exotic security system. Was server (rezzed to land) and megaprim walls. In server were blacklists-whitelists and in walls scripts those made walls phantom and non-phantom (walls were transparent), depending on server list. It was really exciting. Im wasnt interested at all those walls block someone or not, but the system itself get interest. Actually in real-life I have the same.

Okay, that at least makes a bit more sense as to why you'd be excited about the security stuff.

[NeurolaB Inc.] ORB Security   lets you  give a relay  to someone in your group. they rez it and  group owned land now has security. Found this  topic  while trying to fiigure  out how to make my orb work.

1 hour ago, SusanMonet said:

while trying to fiigure  out how to make my orb work.

most orbs simply deeded to group will work fine, also the land tools provide standard good security.