How to boost my Marketplace sales?

Amanda Mileman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2254 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

thats the first Time im Using the SL Forum actually. So, my Problem is:

Im trying to sell stuff for like hmmm as long as im in sl? (aboud 10 yrs)

And im really struggeling. I would like to have your opinions. How do i Promote my Stuff? What sells good? What do i do wrong? Does it makes sence to hire someone to do promotion for you? What else...huumm...oh and depending on Marketplace: Does it makes sence to make a listening? I got told my stuff is nice, actually preatty often and that im Really creative. So i kinda dont understand why ppl tell me over and over again "oh that is so cute!" but i still cant figure how to get "the crowd" to buy my stuff. :) Ill be Happy for ever Tip and trick u can give me!!!

Have a Lovely Day, and im looking foreward for answears!

p.s

sorry for spelling Mistakes, english is not my first language!

Hi

I would add a store name as a banner (make in GIMP or Photoshop) to give your store an identity.  When I looked at your listings it didn't seem to tell me who your brand is so woud be easy to forget (repeat customers are what help sales).

Perhaps consider having your product shots redone.    A lot of creators hire a photographer who works well with lighting/styling etc to create appealing images.   You can trawl through Flickr to find SL photographers who take commissions and then also look at their work before you hire them.

Also consider having a brand/logo that shows in each image, coming back to point 1 above.

I think having a successsful store MP is around only 25% of it.    The rest comes from things like how you promote your brand.

1 - Do you have a Facebook Page for your brand that allows your customers to join up and read about new releases and interact with you.  You can then do things like competitions, or ask your customers what they would like you to release next.  It takes time, but over a year plus you will find your followers grow and keep up a daily or weekly post and interact with those customers.

2 - Do you have a Flickr account where you have a group for pictures of your products to be added to by customers.

3 - Do you have bloggers who will cover your new release (if not you may want to look at systems like Blogotex or use your Facebook Page to open blogger applications - start small at first).

4 - How do you interact with customers, so they know you have fantastic customer service - think about inworld tools including subscribers.

5 - Are you releasing on a regular schedule eg once a month or week so customers as they grow know what days to come look at your store for "new" things.

I hope that helps.  All the above are fairly low effort, just need a bit of time daily to maintain.  I think the key is you have a build a commmunity around your customers and be part of it - using social media and art tools really help achieve that.

Edited by Charlotte Bartlett
typo
  • Like 1

I looked at your listings. Your babies are quite cute but also they're quite new. You need to give it time. 

I see your purple playhouse has had 6 reviews within the past 2 days, and all 5 stars, so that should be encouraging. Some more cynical people would say suspicious, but don't pay attention. It means that people are buying your things and recognising your ability. Keep going! It does take patience. I usually list an item and then forget it, because I know it will take a bit of time before it takes off, if it takes off at all. And sometimes you just can't tell because a creation that I love might not take off, yet one I am not quite satisfied with will become very popular.

Another way, if you are prepared to take some risk, is to sell full perm. There's a huge demand for full perm.

13 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

You should use spell check on your listings. 

and spell check your keywords and make sure they are specific and appropriate to the item ie words people will use to search.  For example in your Ama - Livingroom BW reflective Skybox 10x10x20 32 Prim  you use "32 prim" and "seeling" as keywords.  There also seems to be 2 versions of this but I can't tell what is the difference between the 2 other than one has BW in the title and the other one doesn't but no description as to what is different in each version,  Best of luck :) 

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Like 1

I think you need to establish brand awareness with consistent product splash image, if they can read the selling point in the search, it sells itself. That's why you find products with 7X 1 star reviews in some inactive merchants because people will make the purchase solely based on your product icon.

Even a calligraphic type font of your name will cut it as a brand. Keep in mind some of the most popular brands are just person names. I moved over from imvu two years ago, haven't uploaded mesh to IMVU since then, I still have people recognizing the brand here regardless. 

Also really load it up with keywords, you are permitted 200 words so just pump in any related words you can think of, as well as the product itself. I see your particular playhouse is doing pretty well, I would suggest developing more products similar to it, or an improved version, a tree house version, a double deck version. I have done so with contrabands, once you have a staple seller reuse the icon style (since it is working ) ideally, you want variations at the same price so the consumers think "what style do I want" not "what price do I want" then do a fat pack once in a while to net in more money. 

What sells doesn't always line up with what you like making. 

1 hour ago, iamyourneighbour said:

Also really load it up with keywords, you are permitted 200 words so just pump in any related words you can think of, as well as the product itself.

According to Dakota Linden on a thread about this last year, that is SO NOT WHAT TO DO with the new way the Marketplace works. Part is placement is based on how many times people BUY your product versus how many looked at it. So if you have words that don't obviously relate more folks that are NOT looking for you type of product will view it and your ratings will go down in the list. 

Sure someone who loves to keep track of threads, knows the one I am referring too. Not my thing :D.

ALSO, since I know how many items I sell in relation to how many products are reviewed (even on the best sellers which rate very high in the Marketplace rankings) I would be EXTREMELY suspicious of all those five stars in two days. Add that to the complaint about not selling much and I think the OP is "gaming the game" which I really don't like. 

:(

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

ALSO, since I know how many items I sell in relation to how many products are reviewed (even on the best sellers which rate very high in the Marketplace rankings) I would be EXTREMELY suspicious of all those five stars in two days. Add that to the complaint about not selling much and I think the OP is "gaming the game" which I really don't like. 

So obvious.

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

According to Dakota Linden on a thread about this last year, that is SO NOT WHAT TO DO with the new way the Marketplace works. Part is placement is based on how many times people BUY your product versus how many looked at it. So if you have words that don't obviously relate more folks that are NOT looking for you type of product will view it and your ratings will go down in the list. 

Sure someone who loves to keep track of threads, knows the one I am referring too. Not my thing :D.

:(

That was actually not me, but yeah that was not going with right things. That was friend, i was talking to aboud how to increse my Sales, that asket some friends to Buy and leve rewiews. She told me the next day.

1 hour ago, Amanda Mileman said:

That was actually not me, but yeah that was not going with right things. That was friend, i was talking to aboud how to increse my Sales, that asket some friends to Buy and leve rewiews. She told me the next day.

It is important to read the RULES of the Marketplace that you agreed to by opening a store.  It actually makes it LESS likely that folks will buy from you. Anyone that isn't brand new anyway. So not a good plan. 

5 hours ago, Amanda Mileman said:

That was a mistake but, well, since you openly admit it here it has to be a honest misunderstanding.

I'm not sure how to fix it but you could try to flag the reviews and ask Linden Lab to remove them.

In any case, don't do it again.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2254 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.