not sure how to fix this

Annabella Atheria

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1591 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all

Not sure how to fix this but its really getting on my nerves

I had had this for awhile now and if i change my graphics it doesnt go away.  Im not sure what is causing this seam with my catwa head and maitreya body.  Anyone have any ideas how to fix it.  Im sure it is so simple and stupid but i just cant figure it out.

Snapshot_003.png

Here are the steps we recommend in the Maitreya Lara Friends group:

1. Use matching head and body appliers from the same creator and in the same skin tone.

2. Make sure your body fat matches one of the neck sizes you choose on the last tab of the Maitreya HUD.

3. Do not use the neck fix with a mesh head.  The neck fix is intended to be used with system heads.

4. This is optional, but it is really the very best way to look how you want...and that is choose a good Windlight, like CaIWL

1 minute ago, Tarani Tempest said:

4. This is optional, but it is really the very best way to look how you want...and that is choose a good Windlight, like CaIWL

Which is a bad recommendation for a few reasons;

• Other people don't see you in that, and if you build your avatar for CalWL then it could look corrupted to them
  • You lose sunsets and sunrises
  • You lose shadows
  • You lose materials
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Which is a bad recommendation for a few reasons;

• Other people don't see you in that, and if you build your avatar for CalWL then it could look corrupted to them
  • You lose sunsets and sunrises
  • You lose shadows
  • You lose materials

There is no way to make sure your Avatar looks good to everyone else.  There are way too many variables, as everyone has their own set up...from low graphics to highest settings to having complexity turned as far down as possible.  I gave up trying years ago.  I have things set up to please myself now.

As for CaIWL, it is just a generic Windlight to use solely for looking at your Avatar.  There a many Windlights to choose from, it's always good to find what works best for you...if at all.  It is why I prefaced it with 'optional'.

Edited by Tarani Tempest
bad spelling :P
  • Like 2

Tarani is correct, there is no way to look good for everyone due to the variables. CalWL is a great windlight to run SL at low graphics and still have things look pretty and decent. Not everyone wants or needs to see shadows all the time either :) I personally only wan them for when I am doing photos, and only for certain types.  Running SL at low, med or high graphics is everyone's personal choice, so really that is neither a good or bad suggestion, just an alternative option. 

In this case, not using the neck sheath is a good start!

• Like 1

The sad news is that even if you use an applier for the head and the neck by the same skin maker you could have a seam. The one you have looks very much like the one a friend of mine has. She followed all the instructions here of course but it is still there. Sometimes -- and this really explains the issue -- the skin on the neck seam will look fine from the front and be VERY different on the back. This is because the skin maker wasn't careful enough.

Even with a perfect skin (and I have one) you can if you look super super super close, see the seam -- unless the head was made FOR that body (like an all in one avatar). This is because in most cases the mesh is slightly different and so reflects the light a tiny bit differently. Yours is more than that though so you might try a bunch of different skin demos and see if you can find one that works without a seam showing. 

I logged back in to do a quick test on how the graphics settings affected this problem. On the LOWEST setting I could see seams everywhere (not just where the head met the body) but even on next to the lowest it looked good. Again, not all skins will look this good.   So I doubt it is your graphics settings unless you are using the lowest possible choice.

Know that this comes up often in the forums. Lots of folks have issues with it. 

image.thumb.png.680d139e944ac870da913b85008cf347.png

3 hours ago, Tess Falworth said:

CalWL is a great windlight to run SL at low graphics and still have things look pretty and decent.

This is a really good point.  I had to rely heavily on CaIWL when I had no choice but to use my crappy lappy.  I could only use very low graphic settings, and that WL was a saving grace tbh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

The sad news is that even if you use an applier for the head and the neck by the same skin maker you could have a seam. The one you have looks very much like the one a friend of mine has. She followed all the instructions here of course but it is still there. Sometimes -- and this really explains the issue -- the skin on the neck seam will look fine from the front and be VERY different on the back. This is because the skin maker wasn't careful enough.

Even with a perfect skin (and I have one) you can if you look super super super close, see the seam -- unless the head was made FOR that body (like an all in one avatar). This is because in most cases the mesh is slightly different and so reflects the light a tiny bit differently. Yours is more than that though so you might try a bunch of different skin demos and see if you can find one that works without a seam showing. 

I logged back in to do a quick test on how the graphics settings affected this problem. On the LOWEST setting I could see seams everywhere (not just where the head met the body) but even on next to the lowest it looked good. Again, not all skins will look this good.   So I doubt it is your graphics settings unless you are using the lowest possible choice.

Know that this comes up often in the forums. Lots of folks have issues with it. 

Yes, unfortunately there really is no way at this time to have all our different mesh parts match up to perfection.  We can get very close though.  I personally do not cam in to see if someone has a hint of a seam.  The only time I find it is noticeable, is if someone has not used matching appliers, or they have tried to skin match using the color pickers.  It does become more of a problem, in my experience ..when I am taking pics.  As there are certain windlights and lighting instances that can really highlight the seams. This is just something many of us deal with, it is annoying..no doubt about it, but..it is what it is.

And you are right, that the only way to get that perfection would be to have one whole full mesh body...head, hands and feet all as one. Only time will tell where the mesh body phenomenon will eventually takes us.

9 minutes ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Oh yes people will actually do. I know I do. I love reading profiles and checking out other avies.

That's what profiles and avies are for, after all.

... Right?

If it hadn't have been mentioned there was a seam i wouldn't know there was one. Adds to the realism head and neck aren't always an exact match in RL especially when make-up is a shade too dark or light.

In the days of sculpted foot shoes an ankle strap or cuff was almost always part of the shoe to disguise the seam blend and the not quite perfect skin colour match, you could always try a collar, scarf or choker if you can't tolerate the seam

in the catwa master hud, go to alpha leashes tint neck size tab. turn off body fat neck size and put it on 0. then u need a catwa head applier skin and body applier fro m the same creater. they have to be the same skin tone also. I use sixx for a hairbase. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/158638https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Omega-System-Kit-Catwa/7785742, https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Omega-System-Kit-Maitreya/6709966

my favorite skin creators are l'etre and glam affair. deeTalez makes good skin 2. 

• 1 year later...

I have had EXACTLY the same problem with exactly the same head/body.  I only figured out how to fix it now.  In the Catwa master hud, it is the Neck Tattoo.  You can mess with the blend slider, etc, but for me the best was to click Clear, and FINALLLYYYY the problem is Complete Fixed!  Yay!  I hope this helps somebody.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1591 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.