Joysticks and gamepads

lukn4tacos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I there a reliable  jopystick or game pad I can use with my video recording software in Second Life..... is there a video recording software  out there with smooth camera movements, 

I have a XBox Game Pad, And a 3D Space Mouse neither have worked well or consistently ....  I use lieCam and OBS for software ... I want to make smooth movements, I see other people do it, I have changed the setting s per some of the recommnedations in the community .... what is it I am doing wrong? 

2 answers to this question

I use the 3DConnexion Space Navigator...it does pretty smooth camera moves, with just the default settings.  However, here are a couple of things to keep in mind.

• Most shots in video and movies don't use a moving camera.  Point of view is changed by means of cuts.  This can mean either recording several POVs using different avatars or alts as your cameras, or shooting the scene several times from different angles.
  • If you need to follow a particular avatar, simply put your camera focus on them.  In Firestorm, this is done by simply clicking on them.  Then, if they move, your point of view will follow.
  • Like 2

@lukn4tacos I think the SpaceNavigator is the best option for control.

Firestorm has camera controls for machinima. You can change those settings to get more camera effects and smooth the SN or mouse movements. Also, it is easier to setup Windlight in FS.

Black Dragon is another good choice and has some visual enhancements that improve the render.

I use OBS and like it. However, I do have to shut down everything I can to get my overclocked i5-6600 to produce smooth video in SL while recording. It isn't OBS that is the sole problem. There are regions that are not optimized and even with just one avatar in the region it lags badly and produces jerky video. I run through the scene once to get everything downloaded and rendering. Then start shooting.

The videos I've produced are on YouTube. In the Linden Homes video you can see the change from smooth to jerky and back and forth. I used the SN for that video. In Necronom VI I used a mouse with very few mouse tweaks. I had to shoot a number of scenes several times to work out how to handle the mouse. At about 9:30 you can see me lock the camera an the avatar for the walk up the stairs. Lots of tries to get the camera in the right place.

I often have to reshoot a scene using SN too.

Running multiple viewers is an option too. OBS lends itself to capturing two scenes using different viewers. But, it overloads my computer to run multiple viewers and OBS. :/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.