How to become a DJ in Second Life?

starflitz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1022 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone! This is StarFlitz

Today in Second Life I realized that I would like to expand my knowledge in Second Life... I have been in-world for almost 7 years now and I need a new career other then just hosting.. If anyone knows the way I need to go then could you please lead me in that directions. 

Thank you

1 hour ago, starflitz said:

Hello everyone! This is StarFlitz

Today in Second Life I realized that I would like to expand my knowledge in Second Life... I have been in-world for almost 7 years now and I need a new career other then just hosting.. If anyone knows the way I need to go then could you please lead me in that directions. 

Thank you

DJ in SL doesn't really exist.. you'r always DJ in RL, who sends his stream to SL... so get your skill first in RL, than broadcast it to SL, and try to find your way in the club/dance world.

Realize the competition is huge.. and you'll have to be góód to stand out of the crowd that just plays songs... Look at youtube, there are thousends of dj courses.

you need dj software, free or paid, and also be sure to have a look at your local laws about copyright, publishing/making music public.. you'll see when you do it official the fun is over very fast.

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

DJ in SL doesn't really exist.. you'r always DJ in RL, who sends his stream to SL... so get your skill first in RL, than broadcast it to SL, and try to find your way in the club/dance world.

Realize the competition is huge.. and you'll have to be góód to stand out of the crowd that just plays songs... Look at youtube, there are thousends of dj courses.

you need dj software, free or paid, and also be sure to have a look at your local laws about copyright, publishing/making music public.. you'll see when you do it official the fun is over very fast.

I completely understand... I am for sure going to look into this type of career... I know I will get some kind of experience but I am going to start playing with my DJ system I have downloaded and become very familiar with everything I need to know about my new career. Laws about copyright I am some what familiar with.

Alwin said most everything you need to know BUT

SL Clubs often look for DJs but at the end they are looking for a DJ bringing in the crowd to fill their club.

You can be the greatest biggest best ... DJ, without a bunch of people following you, most clubs will rather hire an bad->average DJ.

Monti

Hi, Starflitz,

We do  free monthly DJ classes at Helping Haven Gateway run by Timothy Scarborough. Next month's class schedule will be posted next week, see website at http:/helpinghaven.weebly.com .

You may also contact Tim in world anytime and he can arrange a one to one class for you or feel free to im me for more details.

Lily Swindlehurst.

http://maps.secondlife.com/…/Helping%20Haven%20Gat…/42/52/25

• Like 2

Or do what others do. Yell in the mic for most of time doing random stuff for half an hour , cool down .

step 1 get a forward host. showcast or icecast url.

step 2 pay for it

step 3 pay even more for it until the vendor no longer accepts your payment.

step 4 go to a club that is in desperate need to pay you 1000 lindens just for you to put music on.

step 5 get hired.

step 6 find a host that can sync up with your online time.

step 7 download virtual DJ software and use some very likely licensed and pirated songs.

step 8 play music and welcome new people via microphone.

step 9 do a 2 hour shifts and get paid via tips by asking people to throw money at you.

step 10 Repeat next day.

My sister runs a club.

She sometimes says it would be nice to have more DJs.

I then say I'll be happy to DJ if she teaches me.

She then points out she wants a DJ who'll entertain the guests, not scare them away with weird, seemingly random U-turns from death metal to Bavarian yodeling music to Finnish retard-punk to classical rock and off to gothmetal. 

So I don't DJ.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

• 2 weeks later...

After 8 years of DJ in Second Life and 20 years over all, I will say this. DJing, in weather it be a broadcast into virtual environment or to a crowd in of flesh and bone people there are just a few important things to remember.

1. A Dj is an artist who performs by putting together other artists creations presenting a unique style on a performance. 

2. Never expect, demand, beg, or care on about tips and/or pay. Be genuine.

3. A real DJ is a student of music and performance. He or she never stops learning and developing the ultimate skill of and entertainment presentation. 

4. Anyone can dj with the simplest of setups but to standout you have to learn what it means to be a performer.

5. The moment you stop enjoying Djing is the moment you need to STOP!

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I'm jumping in here and hope that's ok instead of starting a new thread. I don't DJ but I do like streaming my own music collection to my land in SL. Been gone for a while - when last about in SL I used to use Winamp - seems that's not good with Windows 10 - any suggestions please - and thanks in advance

On 08 February 2018 at 1:32 AM, Gleanr Ellsmere said:

A Dj is an artist who performs by putting together other artists creations presenting a unique style on a performance.

Artist - Somebody who creates Art...

DJ - "Disc Jockey", the person who changes the record at the end of the song... Also accepts "requests" for what record to play next from members of the audience... Does NOT create Art...

We don't call somebody an "Artist" because they hammered a nail into a wall to hang a painting from...

• Like 4

On 1/30/2018 at 5:05 PM, Orwar said:

My sister runs a club.

She sometimes says it would be nice to have more DJs.

I then say I'll be happy to DJ if she teaches me.

She then points out she wants a DJ who'll entertain the guests, not scare them away with weird, seemingly random U-turns from death metal to Bavarian yodeling music to Finnish retard-punk to classical rock and off to gothmetal. 

So I don't DJ.

I´d come to that set for sure !!! Gosh maybe I shouldn´t DJ either XD

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Artist - Somebody who tries to perform a craft (commonly painting or sculpting), but either doesn't care for the 'correct' way of doing so or simply lack professional training, and thus refer to their work as 'art'. Since they are unable to reproduce their work accurately, they pretentiously call it 'unique' and consider it vastly valuable.

Designer - Somebody who think that their candlestick is about as awesome a creation as the invention of the wheel - price their products like 'artists' and has someone else actually produce the candlestick.

Sloyd - Somebody who preforms a craft without professional training, usually for their own use or as a hobby. 

Artisan - A person who has professional training and preform a craft professionally. Generally has either a journeyman's or master's certificate of their craft (if active within a guild of their trade), although apprentices whose work is closely supervised by journeymen or masters too are artisans.

21 minutes ago, Akasha Sternberg said:

I´d come to that set for sure !!! Gosh maybe I shouldn´t DJ either XD

If ever I take to the stage, I'll let you know! =P

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/30/2018 at 3:34 PM, Klytyna said:

DJ - "Disc Jockey", the person who changes the record at the end of the song... Also accepts "requests" for what record to play next from members of the audience... Does NOT create Art...

We don't call somebody an "Artist" because they hammered a nail into a wall to hang a painting from...

Maybe this was the case in 1975, but now DJing can be more like music production. Also it is an art form, keeping people dancing, producing beats on the fly. When you play a musical instrument, you're taking some notation and playing someone elses music, is this hammering a nail into the wall? 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

This seems to have digressed into a tit for tat conversation without actually providing much useful information beyond one link to free open source software.

How or where does one acquire access to legal music to play? I've heard you have to pay for a source but never heard how to find this source.

Well this topic is old but to answer your question  yes dj's are suppose to obtain there music the legit way and there tons of ways to do this from DJ pools (there allot of these just do a google search) to streaming services such as beatport link and soundcloud+ though to be honest this does not really matter cause 99% of the clubs on SL don't actually have music/streaming licences to broadcast music to public audience anyway..

Edited by EonS84

• 8 months later...
On 8/30/2018 at 11:23 AM, Molly Rowley said:

I'm jumping in here and hope that's ok instead of starting a new thread. I don't DJ but I do like streaming my own music collection to my land in SL. Been gone for a while - when last about in SL I used to use Winamp - seems that's not good with Windows 10 - any suggestions please - and thanks in advance

I used Winamp in Win 10 for a couple years before I recently swapped to Mixxx.

And I use my own music in my parcel, too, sometimes. 

Edited by Doris Johnsky

This what I posted in another thread:

DJing in SL is all about the way you present yourself.   You can't just play music.  Anyone can find a radio stream to do that. So you have to present yourself as a real DJ.  I do it without voice and I love doing it.  People seem to like my style.

Now the process:

1. You need something to broadcast to SL. Winamp is the easiest to use but many clubs require SAM, Virtual DJ, or Mixxx.  SAM and VDJ are pro models you have to purchase. Winamp and Mixxx  are free. I use Mixxx now. Once you get the software I would practice setting up a playlist and presenting it. You can do that in RL without broadcasting to SL.  Many DJs use voice, so you need a way to broadcast voice too.  You can use voice in SL, but I think broadcasting through the software would be better.  I don't voice, so I'm not an expert on that.  Before you can broadcast to SL you have to setup the URL and password in your software.  More on that in the next item. Most are fairly simple, some are not. Mixxx was hard for me to find. 

2.  Go to SL and rent a stream. I use Streamhood because its 25L a week, works well and  well, I'm cheap. It says it's compatible to 128 but my music is all 192 and works fine. You can enter the stream as a url and again practice broadcasting. Make sure you keep a record of the information to input in your software

3. Collect an assload of music.  However you want to do it, but you'll need a lot.   A LOT. I have close to 70GB of music and I know some who have well over 100GB.

4. After you've kinda go used to handling the software, you'll need to secure a gig. There are many clubs looking for DJs.  Unfortunately there are too many clubs for the amount of DJs available.  Most new clubs don't have the traffic to make a lot of money. But they are places to practice your craft and pad a resume.

5. Voice.  This is a choice of your own. I don't for various reasons,  but that's me. Many bigger , more established clubs REQUIRE voice.  I think that's a mistake because there are some REALLY good DJs who do not voice.  There are a LOT of Djs who voice to the point they are a distraction. I go to clubs to listen to music, not hear someone drone on and on. Having a good speaking voice helps. 

6. Tidbits.

Do not DJ for less than 100% of tips. You're buying music and maybe software. 

Many clubs think you'll bring a crew of friends that will come to their club.  Maybe they will but probably they won't  People tend to go to clubs they like or where there are friends. They don't tend to go to a new club just because you're there.

Finding a good host or hostess can be a great help. Most good clubs will pair you with one.

Some clubs want you to be part of the "family". Meaning they want you to devote all your time to the club.  Sorry that's not my thing. I'm hired to do a job. DJ.  That's it.  If they want family, marry someone. 

Be yourself. Clubs may want you do things a certain way (sending notices, for example). If you have a style that works, calmly present your reasons.  If YOUR way brings in people to the club that's the best reason. 

Hope this helps.  They may be some that disagree with what I've said, but I think this a decent blueprint to get you started.   It based on reality, not some youtube video.   Oh, and there are people who claim to be able to teach you to DJ.   Don't waste the money.  You would be better off talking to someone who actually DJs in SL.    That's what I did.    

If you have questions, most Djs are willing to give you answers. If I'm online feel free to IM me.   I'm sure I missed something, but I think I covered a lot.

PS

Do you listen to the music in RL or through SL media stream?

Personally I listen in RL so I can cue songs as I need to. (although with Mixxx i don't have to do this)   I know people who do both.  It's a choice you'll need to make based on how you like doing it.     I did have an older DJ tell me that he always listened in RL.    I turn the SL music down, so it doesn't get weird.  There's often a lag (latency-Rl and SL don't normally match up. SL will be behind RL by as much as a minute or more) between RL and SL sound.   I check each song when it starts in SL to make sure there's not a runaway song.  A runaway is music that comes out garbled. I've asked forever and no one can explain what causes it.  I usually call it squirrels having sex. 

Edited by Doris Johnsky
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2018 at 2:34 PM, Klytyna said:

Obviously you do not know what art really is. Picasso was not an artist because he painted the bathroom wall. A DJ who performs who makes the crowd respond is an artist not someone who switches songs. Keep hammering nails on your wall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1022 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.