Only 9% of SL Users are Premiums

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 1/22/2018 at 6:31 AM, Drake1 Nightfire said:

So, if only 9% are premium and LL is STILL turning a very large profit, does this mean you don't think Non-premium accounts still don't contribute? 

I'm not the one who makes that contention? Although this position is constantly falsely ascribed to me.

This thread is about why there are so few premiums. Another thread is about the problem of griefers -- very real -- and copyright theft -- very real.

And you may not realize that the way "Linden turns a profit" is through ISLAND OWNERS WHO DO NOT REQUIRE  A PREMIUM. But those people aren't "free". They pay the island tier! And they have "payment on file" and obviously "payment used" as accounts. Linden has a LOSS LEADER in free accounts like any store -- but their profits don't come from some fictitious "91 percent who are not premiums who are free" -- the frees are in the minority of the log-on population as most are island owners or their tenants.

I realize there is an enormous drive for some to believe in a fiction of 10 years ago that SL is mainly free accounts, brave, bold, creative, techies in sandboxes and war sims flying around making mayhem cheerfully. But that is ancient history. Look at the map. Most of the green dots are on islands, homes, malls, clubs, wandering around -- and aren't the free accounts. They have "payment info on file" at the very least from buying Lindens to buy clothes with. This notional "free account" of the furry or elf with no dirty cash staining their pristine virtual experience and sheer anonymity on the World Wide Net belongs to a past that didn't even work that way either. If the Lindens can technically show X number of "more" free accounts than PIOF? That will ONLY be a function of paying customers getting 2 or 5 or 10 alts. That's all. 

Leave aside the inability to define what "contributes" means -- how it is measured? For some people they contribute to load testing. For others they contribute to the social world and even the economy -- free accounts get and spend cash. To others they are part of creativity, education, non-profit work or role play or any of a score of things of value. That is not how to ask the question. The Lindens find it valuable to encourage free accounts to build the population -- they have to with a niche product like this where usage has dwindled over the years. "Contribution" is not the debate. Griefing is.

I've always supported free accounts because they make up a lot of my customers. Note that these free accounts have PIOF often because they buy Lindens. That's why this constant tendentious and annoying claim that I "oppose" free accounts or "hate them" or try to "end them" is silly. I've asked something else: can griefing that they facilitate be ended by changing any of their features? Would the cost be too great if that were changed or removed, so that you would lose many of the great features of SL -- that it can be free for people without cost to come in and create and even sell and buy, without having to have a credit card? That is a big boon, and I totally appreciate it. What I don't appreciate is the fraction of these accounts who use this boon to grief. So I ask questions about how this might be fixed. 

For example, given that every single person who accesses the Internet has to have to pay a phone/Internet bill with a credit/debit account, "payment information on file" might be one way to secure this that still maintains anonymity and enables people not to have to pay for premium. If someone has to present a name and a debit card to pay for their very Internet in their home, why should they object to doing this for Second Life, a world with real people and property in it, not a movie or a dream.

The use case that Lindens or they fanboyz always cite is "the university where multiple students use one terminal". I don't know what year in the 1990s they are cherishing their dorm memories from. But in the real world today, even the poorest kids in school usually have their own laptop. They might log on at a row of computers near a classroom or library during the day, but they have their own PC/laptop/table in their dorm room. If they are "all on the same network" still, they'd still have a recognizable device that only they logged on with. 

Where is this collectivist single-computer network? Ulyanovsk? Honestly, it's a fiction.

Fact-based, logical intellectual debates often prove too far over the heads of this forum, I totally appreciate it, especially given the free-floating hatred of the regs. That's why I don't often bother to try to have these discussions. Every once in awhile I do,  and learn something .Tyche has done very, very important work for us all and enabling us even to understand the world and economy we are in. My God, that shouldn't be in such short supply, we used to have these statistics from the Lindens themselves!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The real question here should be... Why the hell does it matter how many users are premium. LL is making money, they wont close SL until such time as they stop making money. As long as non-premium members keep dumping more into SL it will stay open. And that is all that really matters. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

The real question here should be... Why the hell does it matter how many users are premium. LL is making money, they wont close SL until such time as they stop making money. As long as non-premium members keep dumping more into SL it will stay open. And that is all that really matters. 

Because some people just have to fret and complain because they think they can't get the one-two punch of adrenaline and attention any other way. I'd make suggestions as to how to alternately handle that sort of jones, but this is a G-rated forum. ;)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jack42 Meredith said:

Kind of off the subject. but can you pay your yearly premium  using Lindens? if so how would you go about doing that so they don't auto deduct it from your credit card first?

no you can not pay with L$,

but,

you can sell your L$ and keep the USD you get for those at your USD balance, from there it will be used before your CC will be charged.

Just as tip... do not take your CC off your payment sources, if you also buy L$ again your USD balance will be used, or for other fees. A negative balance will block access to your account, also not be able to play SL before the balance is restored.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.