Terrain Issue 2018

Sindrey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I -know- there are other posts for teraforming but presently they are 2 years old. Today I've had trouble with the land tool not performing the action that is selected. I restarted the sim, and tried again. No matter what I choose, the land mesh is lifted up and flattens out to the highest point. Lower does not work, smooth is broken, flatten. I've used all but revert and that will ruin the entire sim. Is there some sort of bug happening right now?  To be clear, the land can't be lowered at all and Flatten/smooth are broken.

Edited by Sindrey

I have found that the various buttons in the terraforming menu fail to stick from time to time, which can be truly annoying.  If you have been raising the land and click "lower", the button may flip back to "raise" all by itself.  What you're encountering sounds like it may be a region issue, though, not your terraforming tool.  If you've restarted the region and ar still having issues, you may need to contact the Concierge service or submit a support case to ask someone to come out and take a look.   Before you do that, though, try a couple of tests, if you can.  First, see if someone else can terraform on your region.  Just give a friend temporary permission to terraform and supervise as he does it gently.   Second -- this may be harder -- find another region were you are allowed to terraform and see if you have trouble there.  That will only be possible if you have a landowner friend somewhere.

7 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I have found that the various buttons in the terraforming menu fail to stick from time to time, which can be truly annoying.  If you have been raising the land and click "lower", the button may flip back to "raise" all by itself.  What you're encountering sounds like it may be a region issue, though, not your terraforming tool.  If you've restarted the region and ar still having issues, you may need to contact the Concierge service or submit a support case to ask someone to come out and take a look.   Before you do that, though, try a couple of tests, if you can.  First, see if someone else can terraform on your region.  Just give a friend temporary permission to terraform and supervise as he does it gently.   Second -- this may be harder -- find another region were you are allowed to terraform and see if you have trouble there.  That will only be possible if you have a landowner friend somewhere.

Another possibility - try ANY scripted terraforming tool and see if it works better than doing it manually..(for large areas, those are less tedious anyway).

21 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Second -- this may be harder -- find another region were you are allowed to terraform and see if you have trouble there.  That will only be possible if you have a landowner friend somewhere.

Linden Lab does have a terraform sandbox specially for people who wanted to try the land tools somewhere, or at least they used to have. I can't remember the name of the sim though but maybe somebody else can?

22 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

I can't remember the name of the sim though but maybe somebody else can?

Oh, yes!  Torley's region used to have a terraform area.  I suppose it still does.  I can't log in from where I am at the moment to check, but I believe the name of his region is "HERE".

Edited by Rolig Loon

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Oh, yes!  Torley's region used to have a terraform area.  I suppose it still does.

Oh, I didn't know about that.

There as a full sim terraform enabled sandbox too though and I'm failry sure it was run by LL. For a while one of my students had this rather bizarre idea to use it as a regular sandbox so I ahd to come over there a few times when he got stuck. That must ahve been three years or so ago though.

Edited by ChinRey

Can you give a SLURL to the affected location?
This problem can happen when the navmesh is borked on that region.  Usually the problem area is at the region edge.

If you use a Havok enabled viewer, you can view the Navmesh at the problem location.
Build -> Pathfinding -> View/Test
Tick Navmesh & walkables

Look for something similar to this in the problem area, where the navmesh is a high wall (the green bits on the image) but the visible terrain is lower there.
Xf9oV1v.jpg

If a navmesh is in a funky state like this it will cause an upward effect when smoothing the terrain.

Edited by Whirly Fizzle

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, Kim Farleigh said:

hello,

i have the same issue, it seems the navmesh walkables cant be fixed with edit terrain tools.

How can i fix this, please. Any Ideas?

Kind Regards Kim

If it's the problem described above you'll need to get LL support to fix it.
What's the affected region name?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.