Fluffyzedd

Use card to buy something and didn't receive Lindens

Question

Hello, my name is Zedd and recently I bought a cheap cassette player for my avatar and while that was fine and dandy it charged me $1.03 for the remaining balance and said the rest would be added as Lindens because at the current rate $1.03 is $251L. However when the transaction was complete I did not receive the rest of my Lindens, I even checked my bank statement and $1.03 had been taken out. I was wondering if there's any way I could get the rest of my Lindens and that would be okay or if there was something else I may need to do. Thanks!

8 answers to this question

I'm a little puzzled.  You bought something in the Marketplace with USD (a bad choice, but set that aside ... ) and you were charged the price plus $1.03, presumably because you did not meet the minimum size for a L$ order. So what's left?

3 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I'm a little puzzled.  You bought something in the Marketplace with USD (a bad choice, but set that aside ... ) and you were charged the price plus $1.03, presumably because you did not meet the minimum size for a L$ order. So what's left?

Yes, that is correct. The amount that should have been left was $157L because the cassette player was $100L

I may have just been dumb and made a mistake in understanding how it works. The way I thought how it worked was the system bought the lindens and applied them to the order. I have only done that way twice and was normally below the minimum size for the order so I've never really looked into it.

Right, but the minimum order of L$ is L250, which you didn't meet.  This is why I said, parenthetically, that buying anything on the Marketplace with USD is a bad idea.  You end up losing big time in exchange fees.  It's a whole lot wiser to buy a few thousand L$ directly in the LindeX and then make your small Marketplace purchases in L$.  No additional fees.

I have a feeling that I am still missing something, though.

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

Right, but the minimum order of L$ is L250, which you didn't meet.  This is why I said, parenthetically, that buying anything on the Marketplace with USD is a bad idea.  You end up losing big time in exchange fees.  It's a whole lot wiser to buy a few thousand L$ directly in the LindeX and then make your small Marketplace purchases in L$.  No additional fees.

I have a feeling that I am still missing something, though.

Then this is a massive mistake on my part...

Did you check your L$ balance inworld via the viewer or from your Dashboard at secondlife.com?  The inworld viewer is notorious for not always updating in a timely manner.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

You are also charged a transaction fee whenever you buy $L.  This is a fixed amount, currently $0.60 USD per transaction.  This is why you should not pay for Marketplace items with USD!  If you buy a larger amount of $L, the transaction fee becomes a proportionately smaller bite out of your pocketbook.

7 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

You are also charged a transaction fee whenever you buy $L.  This is a fixed amount, currently $0.60 USD per transaction. 

You forgot the last fee hike -- it is now $0.99 per transaction.

pic1.jpg.c33b79d08afff84cae7b8e0fefeb37b3.jpg

6 hours ago, Fluffyzedd said:

Hello, my name is Zedd and recently I bought a cheap cassette player for my avatar and while that was fine and dandy it charged me $1.03 for the remaining balance and said the rest would be added as Lindens because at the current rate $1.03 is $251L. However when the transaction was complete I did not receive the rest of my Lindens, I even checked my bank statement and $1.03 had been taken out. I was wondering if there's any way I could get the rest of my Lindens and that would be okay or if there was something else I may need to do. Thanks!

If your bank only shows $1.03 taken out and if you got more than roughly L$10, then you actually got a deal somehow.  $1.03 minus the fee of $0.99 only leave $0.04 to use for buying L$.  At a rate of approx. L$251 per US $1, the 4 cents will buy about 10 L$.

• Like 1